Jambands.ca

Simpsons news!

Del

Get ready to toast your Flaming Moes to some excellent news.

The Simpsons movie is off the drawing board and in preproduction. "You know what? We've just done the table read for The Simpsons movie, so although we've been promoting that we're going to do it, now we're actually doing it and are in production," Nancy Cartwright, who gives voice to Bart Simpson, told BBC Radio 1 this week. Cartwright, in London doing publicity for her one-woman show, My Life as a Ten-Year-Old Boy, indicated that the movie is still in the preliminary script development stage and it will take at least two years before it's fully animated and ready for release.

"I don't know the name of it, and I can't go into details about it, and we'll just have to see how it goes, but I think it's going to be great and the fans are going to dig it," she added.

Producers had always indicated that the movie would likely debut after the TV show ran its course. But with the show continuing to perform well, averaging about 10 million viewers last season, the Simpsons brain trust decided to move forward now, according to a rep for 20th Century Fox, which will distribute the Simpsons film.

"They are working on hammering out a script, but there's no title or production date or release date," studio spokeswoman Antonia Coffman told E! Online Wednesday. "We always wanted the show to end first but it just keeps going. Now they've worked out a team to simultaneously do [both the film and show]."

Rumors of a Simpsons movie seem to surface every few years, usually sparked by the 'toon's mastermind, Matt Groening, which then sends long-time Homer honks into a frenzy of anticipation. But such talk turned out to be premature in the past as Groening and fellow executive producers James L. Brooks and Al Jean chose to wait for the show to wind down.

The closest The Simpsons has come to the big screen was a computer-generated Homer cameo for the 2000 IMAX 3-D flick, CyberWorld.

Coffman says that there are still many details to iron out before the feature kicks into high gear, including who's going to do the animation--Film Roman, which has done so since the TV series' inception, or another production house.

This fall will see The Simpsons embark on season 17. Fox and show producers foresee the cartoon cast fulfilling its current contract, which runs through a 19th season.

Wow, that is some news!

I had once said (in another thread) that we will know that The Simpsons will soon be off the air as soon as they make a movie. According to that article, apparently that was actually once the plan, but now it looks like the show will go on indefinitely so they're just making a movie anyway. I really hope that is true, and the show is not on its way out.

Either way, I'll be seeing this one in the theatres for sure.

(Long time listener, first time caller)....may I be the first on this thread to say it: I know it, you know it, Its gonna blow.

I doubt it will "blow"... Even the worst Simpsons episodes are better than the best episodes of most of the crap you see on TV or the shitty movies they've been pumping out...

(Long time listener, first time caller)....may I be the first on this thread to say it: I know it, you know it, Its gonna blow.

BLOW???PFFFFT....this isnt futurama we're talkin bout here fella....you must be confused!! Its gonna ge Soooo GOOD without a doubt..liek del said even the worst episodes of the simpsons are far better than most CRAp on the TELE......Stay off the Glue BUd!