Jambands.ca

recommended camping in and around TO

livingstoned

Anyone know of some good camp sites not too far from TO(an hour or so in any direction)...preferrably private (non-provincial) that would be open to some late night guitar/drum/fire action low key of course - so not so family orientated? Meaning we won't get kicked out if we aren't in bed by 11pm. A lot to ask but I am not familar with what's out there.

Darlington National Park is only an hour or less east on the 401 - near Newcastle.

It's worth going to Sandbanks National Park in Piction - even though it's 2 hours away, not you're cut-off of 1 hour. Picton's a really nice town ( with some great local wines ) and the beaches at the park are the best and largest in all of southern and eastern Ontario.

You could also try Presqu'ile Nat'l Park in Brighton, which is 90 minutes from Toronto, east on the 401.

Darlington is not cool...I live 15 minutes away and I walk my dog there every day...no open alcohol outside your site and curfew is 9 pm I think because of a neighbouring trailer park and Ricky and Julian have no control over Leahy on this one

Edited by Guest

Elora Gorge is a good bet. I was there last summer with my family around the August 1 weekend and there was so many yahoos staying up all night partying that we couldn't get any sleep. So if you want to be a up-all-night-yahoo this could be just the ticket. They also have a great group camping area kind of secluded from the main campground that has huge sites. Be really nice for drum circles!

Bear in mind that they are managed by the GRCA who are the same people that also run Guelph lake and hence the Hillside festival hosts and the GRCA police are famous for bothering yahoos at that festival.

Check their website GRCA you can even reserve spots online there.

If it's just a campfire (sans camping) you're interested in, then Dufferin Grove might be up yer alley. They have 3 huge fire pits throughout the park which they "rent" for $10 INCLUDING FIREWOOD!!!!!! You have to fill out a form & take their fire-safety training ("here's 2 buckets; there's the sand pit; fill the buckets with sand and keep by the fire at all times..."). Keep the form with ya, as the cops may swing by to look at it. We've played guitars quite late, but not drums, though I figure you might as well try it....you'll certainly be told if you are being too loud. I can find the park's phone # if you want it (and be sure to invite us...)