Jambands.ca

Trey's Bonnaroo Setlist

Del

Polkaroo, your last post easily made my day! JChameleon and Deeps - you guys clearly have no idea what you're talking about. True, Mayer used to be a wannabe pop star churning out sappy tunes for 14-year old girls, but if either one of you kept up with what was going on in music, you'd know that the John Mayer Trio is a far cry from his solo work... Here's the info about the Trio:

"John Mayer plans to release a new studio album in early 2006, and he already has a name for it -- Continuum. According to RollingStone.com, Mayer plans to experiment with a new sound and even take some risks while doing it. He explained, "I'm ready to shake it all up. They are tunes that live on guitar. When it comes out, I may never win a Grammy again, I may never sell a million records again, but the world will get where I'm coming from." Mayer added, "I'm not afraid to lose it all."

If the new material is anything like Mayer's previous releases, it will be based on his personal experiences. The 27-year-old singer said that he tends to write songs about himself: "I've made the commitment to sound like my head and sound like my ideas, and voice the way I feel about stuff. And make that commitment to when I say, 'I,' it's me."

Also in the works is a touring band -- called the John Mayer Trio -- which will likely go out on the road this fall and release a live CD. Mayer says the group will play "power-rockin', electric-guitar, in-your-face blues."

Sounds pretty "adult contemporary" to me... (insert rolling eyes smilie here)

I have few issues with John Mayer. "Your Body Is A Wonderland" makes me want to have a shower after hearing it but apart from that, I don't mind his stuff at all. I *almost* bought one of his CDs a few weeks back but thought twice about my entire purchase that day and put it back.

Good songs are good songs and he's got more than a few of those. The "adult contemporary" tag means nothing to me.

True, Mayer used to be a wannabe pop star churning out sappy tunes for 14-year old girls, but if either one of you kept up with what was going on in music, you'd know that the John Mayer Trio is a far cry from his solo work... Here's the info about the Trio:

"John Mayer plans to release a new studio album in early 2006, and he already has a name for it -- Continuum. According to RollingStone.com, Mayer plans to experiment with a new sound and even take some risks while doing it. He explained, "I'm ready to shake it all up. They are tunes that live on guitar. When it comes out, I may never win a Grammy again, I may never sell a million records again, but the world will get where I'm coming from." Mayer added, "I'm not afraid to lose it all."

Sounds pretty "adult contemporary" to me... (insert rolling eyes smilie here)

One Rolling Stone article and the boy is absolved of his previous sins? See "daughters" by John Mayer for the height of song writing garbage.

In response to the "keeping up with the times" quip. I've heard for years that the dude had some chops, I heard he's studied witha lot of blues greats. I've kept up and have yet to hear shit that pointed him toward more than a sappy love songster.

Good on him for grabbing the loot and running, but the lame-icity that has been done has in fact been damn near impossible to endure and only when this album you speak of is released and we hear that the boy finally stopped with this style will he begin to be acquitted of the crimes his mamby-pamby generic brand of pseudo rock has done to my ears.

He can rawk the way he wants to I guess, I aint buying it because of the above feelings or in the case of MarcO I aint *almost* buying it either.

[color:purple]No one is going to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about you boy-band-box-set-buying son of aaahhhhhh Monday.

Deeps

PS I have no air conditioning!

When Mayer played the Molson Amphitheatre last year ( or was it 2003 ), his young audience was dismayed to hear a set dotted with extended blues jams and classic rock covers.

I'm no fan of Mayer, but I enjoyed reading that Mayer put his influences on stage, not caring that his core audience may feel alienated.

John Mayer is an adult contemporary artist similar to where Dave Matthews is heading, so we'll have to see if he is true to his word regarding his future career path.

I actually believe that Mayer is almost exactly like Dave Matthews, but is a better lead guitarist. Mayer is not a better guitarist than Matthews however.

One Rolling Stone article and the boy is absolved of his previous sins? See "daughters" by John Mayer for the height of song writing garbage.

I think that's a lovely song. Seriously.

If I could write a song like that, I'd be quite proud of myself.

You heartless bastard.

Hey all!

Just got back from Tenn.

The Trey set was a blast!!!

I'm not sure how people who are crying, wishing and hoping for a "YEM" or a "Kung" breakout would feel...but anyone who likes Trey's playing, his vibe and attitude (the good one--not the other one) would have had a great night.

I think the band is coming together...interestingly they seemed WAY more confident on the covers than any Trey tune...except maybe "46 Days".

Cool,

Jef

Edited by Guest
sarcasm

I'm not a John Mayer fan, but anyone who doubts his capabilities as a blues ninja needs to check out his Austin City Limits show, where he played with Double Trouble, and Buddy Guy as well. I had previously written him off completely, but was left with my jaw on the floor after watching him let the blues fly. Personally, I'm looking somewhat foreward to seeing how he deviates from his previous musical persona.

Then again, I still think Trey's pretty rad, so what do I know?

Peace,

Hart

Wow! I had no idea everyone was so touchy on John Mayer and Blazers.

First of all. If John Mayer is going to streach the boundries and jam out great! I applaud him. He is certainly professional, I just don't dig his middle of the road whiteboy vocals and repetative pentatonic soloing.

I hope I am proved wrong and he releases some mind bending trio work. Although I highly doubt it.

Now as for the whole blazer thing I will make no apologies. We all should have learned our lesson when our fathers, were wearing blazers in the 80's during the Miami Vice days.

He'll even Jerry was wearing a blazer from time to time, circa 1985. And that was a the height of his opium/heroin phase when he didn't know which end was up, just before he got busted. Not a coinsidence.

Repeat after me: THERE IS NOTHING ROCK'N'ROLL ABOUT A BLAZER. IT IS THE FASION EQUIVELANT OF

BEING NEUTERED.

kermit_vice.jpg

The Blazer crew is really gona snap now! Biatch!

It's all jokes. Or at least the blazers are! HA HA!

Ha! Excellent picture chameleon. But a white sport jacket as the example of how NOT to wear it is way too easy..everyone knows damn well that those things should be burned.

Let's look at how NOT to wear hip-hop clothing shall we?

Exhibit A: Pimple my ride

BMride1.jpg

Exhibit B: I love many sports that I'm not good at...and I'm also nuts.

serious.jpg

Exhibit C: What's your sign?

redneck.jpg

Conclusion: White guys and Fubu mix like oil and water. or white blazers and anyone.

Of course you know I'm not serious about it. I'm interested in your band and wish to subscribe to your newsletter. Just so you're clear I'm neither a racist nor a proponent of bad blazers. But I'm not sure why you find them offensive..except that you don't wear them. And what do dreadlocks have to do with rock n'roll anyway? When did all this shallowness fall in on a Herbie Hancock cover band? And when are you going to shoot a new band photo so chumps like me don't continue to have trouble connecting the dots between your music and that dude in the army get-up?

And when can we start a discussion on the idiocy of the bowler hat in 2005?

Ha! Excellent picture chameleon. But a white sport jacket as the example of how NOT to wear it is way too easy..everyone knows damn well that those things should be burned.

Let's look at how NOT to wear hip-hop clothing shall we?

Exhibit A: Pimple my ride

BMride1.jpg

Exhibit B: I love many sports that I'm not good at...and I'm also nuts.

serious.jpg

Exhibit C: What's your sign?

redneck.jpg

Conclusion: White guys and Fubu mix like oil and water. or white blazers and anyone.

Of course you know I'm not serious about it. I'm interested in your band and wish to subscribe to your newsletter. Just so you're clear I'm neither a racist nor a proponent of bad blazers. But I'm not sure why you find them offensive..except that you don't wear them. And what do dreadlocks have to do with rock n'roll anyway? When did all this shallowness fall in on a Herbie Hancock cover band? And when are you going to shoot a new band photo so chumps like me don't continue to have trouble connecting the dots between your music and that dude in the army get-up?

And when can we start a discussion on the idiocy of the bowler hat in 2005?

--------------------------------------------------

OK OK. FIRST THINGS FIRST. IT's ALL LOVE AND JOKES! NOT TO WORRY POLKAROO.

It's just that I live right in the heart of clubland in downtown T.O. and I see throngs of clueless knobs from the suburbs walking around in blazers, sporting thier faux-hawk haircuts with frosted tips and it makes me insane. And because of balzer supporters like Kanye West, John Mayer and many others everyone is jumping on the blazer bandwagon.

Now, I agree with you full heartedly that hip-hop fashion is terrible and need to be delt with as well.

I guess you can say I was scarred by the blazers as a child by my fatehr's fashion indescretions and now in my twenties the resugence of the blazer style has opened old wounds.

...but I think I can say that blazers when used in moderation are....OK. There I said.

LET'S BUILD A BLAZER BRIDGE TO PEACE!!!!

I'm also happy you dig the band, please link up with us on our web-site www.chameleonproject.com

here are two more pictures of the band. The guy witht he camo is Sanppty Homefry. He's the bassist, and yes that is the only name he is known by. I think that in itself explains his gear.

All-jokes.jpgChameleonProfilin.jpg

P.S. You're right there is nothing rock'n'roll about drealocks. I have 'em and I don't even play rock. Rock'n'roll just sound good in describing an attitude. Not the music literally.,

I'm more of a jazz/rare-funk & disco, dub guy.

By the way I like your Joe Pass avatar.

I apologize to all the blazerities I offended.

This guy knows how to rock a blazer..

TTMCS05.jpg

Slick Rick is so tough

Edited by Guest