Jambands.ca

What happy a Trey fan makes?

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

I've been reading a lot of negative stuff about Trey on this board recently. It seems that anything he's done of late is being dissected, picked apart, and slaughtered. 70 Volt Parade was widely panned by a few vocal Skanks and his Bonnaroo setlist has various detractors voicing their disapproval. In fact it seems that anything he does will be pounced on by pundits.

He does Phish tunes, and people say move on. He does new tunes, and people say that the new tunes suck. What's he to do?

Are people overreacting or has the quality of his play really declined ('Knives Out' DID suck pretty bad)? Are the hippies angry at Trey for single-handedly bringing an end to the touring way of life with the disbanding of Phish, and will criticize everything he does from this point on?

So I ask the question: What would make a Trey fan happy? Would it be a Phish reunion so that Phisheads can relive nostalgic moments from 10 years ago? Would it be the return of a horn section to TAB to play all the Page parts on Phish cover tunes? Would it be a time machine to go back to 1994 or 1997??

I personally have no real opinion, because I'm not that big a fan to start off, but I find it an interesting social phenomenon that people that used to call Trey 'god', are now bitter, disenfranchised, and harsh against him.

yup, people will complain about everything trey does.

lots of people i know are bitching that he is only playing covers. well, what's he supposed to do, stay home for 2 years and write all new material so there are enough original tunes? then people will bitch that he's repeating.

JGB was primarily a cover band.

i think people just want trey to fail. that way, they will feel vindicated in their bitterness for phish breaking up.

i haven't seen trey's band ever, so i don't have a concrete opinion on the music either. i've been listening to 70vp and they're not as bad as i'd heard though, i quite enjoy some of the jams. granted the whole show is not stellar...but it's been a while since even phish played a stellar show...

I have not seen him in his most recent incarnation, but I think that his new material sounds watered down and lack lustre. Not to mention his gratuitous cover selections..I mean a 2, 3 even 4 covers per show is cool, but 12 in show...seems to me he lacks confidence in his new material, and it clearly shows (from the shows I've heard) I'm not sure what'll make his fans happy, but I know that if he slowed it down and took some time to re-group and put some serious effort into writing new material instead of writing shit on the fly and hiring IMO a sub par band to play it, he'd probably come up with something that was really worth listening to. We all know he's capable of great things, I think he just needs to relax and take his time...

He does Phish tunes, and people say move on. He does new tunes, and people say that the new tunes suck. What's he to do?

He should move on from Phish and the new tunes are lacking, particularly in their perfomances (based on the 4 or 5 shows I heard from Spring).

The question "what's he to do?" isn't up to the fans to answer. If Trey had brought an impressive band with impressive material on the road, the only question would be "when can I hear more of this?".

I also resent the idea that people are overly critical or picking on Trey or somehow massaging their hurt feelings over the demise of Phish by lashing out at whatever Trey does. Nonsense.

Trey doesn't get a free pass from me.

somehow massaging their hurt feelings over the demise of Phish by lashing out at whatever Trey does. Nonsense.

Now before I say what I'm goin to say,I must say that I don't see as much Trey slammin here as I do on the other sites I frequent (mainly GOTV).

I have to disagree with you here my friend,I do believe that alot of folks are doing exactly that."massaging their hurt feelings over the demise of Phish by lashing out at whatever Trey does. Nonsense".

Sadly,I read more threads from people who only 2 months before the break up announcement would have torn a person a new asshole if they had even said a show was weak or not up to par are now slamming Trey stating he has ruined festivals,is jumping the shark,sold out,sucks etc.And when I see threads titled "In case you needed another reason to hate Trey" (again on another site) I am confused and all because he started playing Phish songs HE wrote with 70 Volt,seems people feel if he wants to play those songs then he should get Phish back together or he shouldn't be allowed,or just not play.All the while they also state how much they miss the Phish years & long to have it back,giving the impression that if Phish reformed Trey would be their "god" again.That is directly related to the break-up.

Another example of this was the thread awhile back on here about "Project Assface",the guys archiving every Phish show on HDD.In the thread (via the link that was posted) one of the guys heading up that project even states (after he professed his love for Phish) that if people just went back to boycotting Trey tour (because Trey sucks) then the money saved could buy them (people who want every Phish show on hard drives) the required HDDs to get on board for the project.

I've said this for years,it seems alot of Phish phans are seemingly very ungrateful (re: the break up)(and again,not all & not much here) and never have a seen a fanbase turn as ugly about someone they placed so high above every other musicians (except for the deadheads & their Brent bashing in the early 90's,I still don't get that)I can honestly say that I have not seen another fan base out there that has taken such a nasty turn on a member they held in such high regard only a year & a four months ago.

Anyway,thats just my take on the situation & from my expirence spending enough time on American messegeboards.

[edit to add]

I myself have always liked Trey's work outside of Phish.Safe to say even more so then Phish.

Edited by Guest

"What would make a Trey fan happy? "

I have no idea, but this has been going on since I first started really paying attention to Phish back in 97.

People complained back then, like mad dogs!

"You newbies have no idea. The band is boring now........" (Insert whatever comments you read today, and they pretty much were the same message back then).

Hahaha! So true Andre. One thing I learned hopping on the Phish bandwagon was that you would never be as cool as the folks who were there since Day 1. I was always being told how I'd missed something.

"Really, they suck now? So why are ya still buying $60 tickets? Jackass."

Marco - you may not be overly critical or picking on Trey or somehow massaging your hurt feelings over the demise of Phish but a lot of people are. I'm with Esau on this.

I miss Phish. Its the band that has most completely captured what I love about music - in many ways. I don't expect Trey ever to reunite Phish (even if he were single-handedly able). I'm not even sure I would support that move.

I would be happy if I knew Trey were really doing what's important and healthy for him. I really get bent up when I see people destroy themselves and their potential. If he's doing well and REALLY enjoying what he's doing (not just doing it for the sake of doing it) - I'm happy for him.

He and the rest of Phish gave me a lot through their music. He doesn't owe me anything.

Phish fans have always been too demanding of the band, and thus Trey fans are now the same. I personally feel that Trey is playing better guitar than he has in years....if you listen to the last phish run you will know what I mean. The new tunes are great, yes some of them lack some funk, but thats what makes them fresh and new (Trey is going in different directions) Trey can write a million songs that sound like ghost/moma dance, but that would be boring....and yes he is making a lot more mistakes than he used too, but that means that he is experimenting with new sounds, new grooves, and not just hitting those couple sweet notes that we all know and love..

I never think about Phish until people start complaining, critiquing and over-analyzing everything Trey does on a daily basis.

Phish was ready to die when it did. They may have hung-on a year or so too late. Sobeit.

What would make me really happy would be news of an Oysterhead reunion. That band was the most exciting thing to hit progressive rock & roll since the 1970's.

Would it be the return of a horn section to TAB to play all the Page parts on Phish cover tunes?

Since you're not a big fan I'll simply point out that Phish covered more TAB songs than TAB covered Phish songs... Many of the tunes that started off on Trey's first acoustic/electric solo tour ended up as songs that Phish played and recorded... If anything, Page "covered" (and I use that term VERY loosely) some TAB horn sections...

I guess the criticism of Trey stems mostly from how/why Trey ended Phish, and the current work he is producing. Trey said that he didn't want Phish to become a nostalgia act. He claimed that the "magic" was gone from Phish and that Phish had run it's course, saying that there wasn't as much creativity as there used to be. He also didn't want to be on the road as much as he had been while in Phish.

So he puts together a band (unofficially called 70 Volt Parade, at Trey's suggestion) and puts together a fairly extensive tour, with plans for an extensive Summer tour supposedly in the works. So much for not wanting to be on the road as much. He writes some new songs for 70VP, which weren't as widely accepted as the last material written for Phish. If the creativity was gone, why rush to put together another band with sub-par material, especially with players that are obviously not as talented or polished as Phish were? And if Phish was becoming a nostalgia act, why does 70VP cover so many Phish songs? Another issue is the cost of 70VP tickets... Since 70VP is still getting their legs, and their shows have been rather hit-and-miss, (more misses than hits), you'd think that the ticket prices would be a little more reasonable. $47.50 US is far too much to pay for a band playing their first tour, regardless of whether or not Trey is in that band or not...

Coventry, and a lot of post-hitaus Phish in general, left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths... The fact that Trey came back with a project that was so bad compared to the magic of Phish doesn't help either. We all know what Trey is capable of... Rumours of drug use, breaking up one of the greatest touring bands of all time, and coming back with a project like 70VP doesn't gain him any compliments in fans' eyes... Of course most fans would jump at the chance to see a Phish reunion... But I don't think the current attitude towards him has much to do with that...

Oh, and having Bo Bice on stage with him doesn't help much either... ;)

Sub par new tunes....compared to what....have you seen him live yet with the new band???? Phish is gone, and now all we have is Trey. Phish sucked during the end, the energy was gone. The new Trey is good, I would even call it great (but what do I know, I only saw phish like 25 times) and if you don't like it there is always Panic tour.

Edited by Guest

And if Phish was becoming a nostalgia act, why does 70VP cover so many Phish songs

Because it was Phish he was worried about (after 20 years) becoming a nostalgia act.Not the songs he wrote.

Should Warren not play songs he wrote while in ABB because he has Gov't Mule?

I've never understood that logic,I read it alot & will just never get it.

And if Phish was becoming a nostalgia act, why does 70VP cover so many Phish songs

Because it was Phish he was worried about (after 20 years) becoming a nostalgia act.Not the songs he wrote.

Should Warren not play songs he wrote while in ABB because he has Gov't Mule?

I've never understood that logic,I read it alot & will just never get it.

I see where you mean Esau, but I still think that Del has a point. If Phish had simply stopped playing most of their older material, wouldn't that have prevented them from becoming a nostalgia act in itself? And isn't performing Phish material with the new band possibly a nostagic action anyway?

If Phish had broken up because of some other stated reason - death of a band member, eternal bickering, whatever - it wouldn't really be an issue that 70 Volt Parade were playing so many Phish tunes.

The Warren Haynes comparison doesn't quite fit, but only because Warren never said he was leaving ABB because he was worried about becoming a nostalgia act - it was mostly over internal band tension regarding Dickey Betts (I think? That's why he came back after Dickey got booted?).

Sub par new tunes....compared to what....

Love Is Freedom, Goodbye Head, Black, etc. vs. YEM, Ghost, Free, etc. Even post-hiatus Phish songs (the period where the lack of creativity was supposedly occurring) like Pebbles And Marbles, 46 Days, Scents And Subtle Sounds, etc. are far better than the material wrote for 70VP...

I think you missed my point Cully... Roller asked why fans are down on Trey... The reasons I listed seem to be the major reasons that people have mentioned... I didn't go to any 70VP shows because ticket prices were absolutely ridiculous... Did you go to any? If not, then you probably listened to the same recordings I did... My opinion is that 70VP isn't a very good band. Phish or no Phish... Add the rest of the resons I listed, and it adds up to me being disappointed in Trey's recent efforts... Would you argue that Coventry was a good performance? Because if you say yes, then I don't think we'll ever agree about the definition of "good"...

If Phish had simply stopped playing most of their older material, wouldn't that have prevented them from becoming a nostalgia act in itself? And isn't performing Phish material with the new band possibly a nostagic action anyway?

Guess its how you interpet (sp?) it.

My comparison of Warren had nothing to do with why or why not he left ABB but more with playing old songs opposed to new ones.

I would say a nostalgic act is the band itself not the songs.With that logic wouldn't any band that plays anything from a first album (given they have been around at least a decade) be a nostalgia act then?

If Phish had simply stopped playing most of their older material' date=' wouldn't that have prevented them from becoming a nostalgia act in itself? And isn't performing Phish material with the new band possibly a nostagic action anyway?

[/quote']

Guess its how you interpet (sp?) it.

My comparison of Warren had nothing to do with why or why not he left ABB but more with playing old songs opposed to new ones.

I would say a nostalgic act is the band itself not the songs.With that logic wouldn't any band that plays anything from a first album (given they have been around at least a decade) be a nostalgia act then?

Yeah... I guess it is how you interpret the tag "nostalgia act" in the first place. My interpretation would be an act which tours (frequently or not) based solely on old material, and has long since given up on recording or performing any new material. Also, the old material would be primarily composed of early hits (or, in the case of Phish "early popular songs") rather than early album tracks or obscure gems.

"We all know what Trey is capable of"

Thats the main reason for me. But I must admit, I was one of those phans who would bitch after a show or say it was simply 'ok'... though I think I had reason to judge them so critically - I saw some amazing shows, phish raised the bar soooo high on several occasions that I felt it was justified.

Its hard to say what would make me happy though. I don't know it 'till I hear it. Phish (& their new tunes, usually written by trey) has always been an acquired taste for me, rarely blown away on first impressions. Didn't like the first trey band too much but it grew on me and I ended up loving it second time around!

Another contributing factor for me is the fact that I am in to so many other bands now, there is so much more good music to be experienced out there that I won't hand over my money to Trey unless I know I'll get my money's worth - with those ticket prices, I'd rather see alot of up-and-coming bands for a week.