Jambands.ca

Long Lost Loves

guigsy

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another one that seems to have slipped below the radar that I wish would come back and play more is Hiway Freeker. IIRC, they are (were?) based in Montreal, but used to play Ottawa semi-regularly. Sweet, sultry vocals, perfectly tasteful (and funky/jazzy) guitar playing, and well-written songs, all added up to fun nights of music.

Aloha,

Brad

I just found (just yesterday) my copy of Freeway's original cassette (the one that never came out on disc). I need to get that one digitized! It kicks their CD's ass, and reminds me why I miss that band.

I have one of those cassettes..if its the greenish spiral cover one.Got it years ago when Freeway band opened for a local Hamilton/Ancaster band called "Soul Virgins".

Side note,until my laptop is fixed I can't finish those Bruce shows,I do have them on the hard drive & tracked,just have to get the drive & install it on my desktop so I can burn them once I find out the state of my laptop.

No problem Esau. I know you're on it.

... and ya, that's the tape. At the time, their "official artist" (Rich) was really into doing everything on "spirograph", which was a very cool toy! That's the artwork on that cassette case.

I just thought of another long-lost love from Montreal: The Whetherman Groove Tube.

FUNKAY!!!!!

Ha! I may be able to get you a show on disc.I'll email my buddy in St.Catherines,I believe he is friend with a couple of the guys.Wow,that brought up some funny memories...thanks CH.

Too funny. This dude taped them one time before, when they opened up for a fat cats gig. He lent me the tape, and I made him a bunch of cd's from it, that he gave to the band. I think his name was Don?

If it's not that same show, I'd love to get more. Used to have a lot of fun at their shows, they were one of my first intro's to the heady music scene.

Well, local for me, can that include my hometown of Halifax? If so, it'd have to be this incredible Reggae/Ska band "The Hopping Penguins". Their version of "Hey Joe" was simply smokin' as for many of their originals. At one time they were ranked in the top 10 of Canada's live acts to catch.

In the K-dub:

The Rhinos - funk/ska band...Danny Michel's old band. So fun to dance too. I still throw on their CD from time to time

Groove Daddy's - fantastic band (jam I guess...it was before that term caught on...) Some members went on to form Plastacine (sp??), while others became lawyers...

I also used to have fun seeing the Dervishes...hey I guess we had a few great bands in kw!

The Hopping Penguins are from Halifax???

I always thought they were from T.O.

Kickass-old-school ska for sure; and a blast to see live!

Yep, the HP's are originally from Hafilax. Relocated to Toronto but always called Hali their home. So fun to see them at Ak's (Alexander Keith's Pub) in Historic Properties on the waterfront. Foggy nights to say the least...

I caught several Furnaceface shows in Ottawa in the late '90s (IIRC), and always had a ball; I don't they've every officially "broken up", but last I heard, their guitarist was living in BC and could only come out and play once in a (long) while. :(

Aloha,

Brad

oops...local. Still really liked zero.

Yeah I did live in California for a stint...5ish mabey 6 months but I lived on a schooner...does that count? About 3 months in San Fran, 1 month aprx in L.A., then the remainder between San Diago, out of the states into Mexico, back to San Diago and L.A. and back to San Diago...crazy I can't remember whether I flew out of San Diago or LA ex....I think kit was SanDiago...craziest take off place ever...whichever city it was...one of those clearing sky scrapers way too close...

nero would be glorious but I'm too disgusted by some folks words about all of that to say I'd do anything to see them again.

Edited by Guest