Jambands.ca

Long Lost Loves

guigsy

ooo recipe! i miss those guys too man. i think the last time i saw them was at charlie's in calgary... probably 3 or 4 years ago? they were great great fun.

also - the dalai lamas! they were from somewhere in saskatchewan (saskatoon i think?) so nowhere near any town i've ever called home - but what a fun band. horns baby! last time i caught them was at garf's in whistler, 2001 i believe... risked life and limb in one mother F of a stowstorm... but very glad i made the trip!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice thread, Guigsy!

Don't have much to add here. I used to catch Soup by accident here in TO years back, and they always impressed me. Too bad to see them not around anymore.

In Kingston, I was a big fan of Mars Hotel, while they lasted; actually ran into drummer Bonz a couple of weeks back, who's still playing with the Pariahs (not defunct), formerly-known-as Guyana Koolaid, still one of my favourite names for a band.

Yeah, ditto for Hiway Freeker and Recipe From a Small Planet.

Fat Cats (Zone era...Tuesdays was it?) certainly were the good old days. Ahhhh...nothing will ever compare to those first few years of rock and roll where I fell in love with Toronto. I've fallen out of love with it many times since, but those amazing musicians always pull me back. :P

Edit to add: "Guyana Koolaid" Dave? Eeek! Sounds a little Jonestown Massacre-ish to me. *insert scared face here*

"In Kingston, I was a big fan of Mars Hotel, while they lasted; actually ran into drummer Bonz a couple of weeks back, who's still playing with the Pariahs (not defunct), formerly-known-as Guyana Koolaid, still one of my favourite names for a band. "

Wow..........wowowowow.

Oh man, the memories. This is freaking me out.

for me, it'd be Zuul's Evil Disco. a staple here in London in the late 90's early 00's, rockin' funk and fun as hell! i'd love to see the line-up that they had right around the turn of the century again one more time! they used to put on an amazing live show, tons of crowd interaction, and some damn good songs, too! lots of sexy funk schtick, too... ahh, i miss Zuul's... one of the best live bands i've seen in a bar.

Oh, yeah!! They were a super-fun band to see... they used to play at Call The Office fairly regularly when I lived in London. Very cool, very eclectic - both musically and visually.

Wild Blues Yonder from Kingston. R.I.P. Austin.

Bloom from Kingston - R.I.P. Joe Chithalen ( also of the Mahones ).

The Fat Cats at The Comfort Zone.

I agree with Bloom (they were fun live) & I only saw Wild Blue Yonder 5 times or so but loved every one I saw.

Fat Cats? They are still playing ya know..If meaning more for the vibe & scene then I may agree to a degree.But certianly not defunct at all & I would argue that todays Fat cats is a step up from the Comfort Zone days.(wednesdays,tuesdays were in Hamilton)

God, I miss A Particular Wave.

They were the best jamband Victoria has ever scene.

agreed. gnu/ragtime were fun, but a particular wave was the best scene ever. (*bradm, unfortunately their studio recording doesn't come close to doing them justice :()

as far as my current hometown of peterborough - definitely the diplomats. no longer playing together, but they're all around and playing so a reunion wouldn't be impossible.

Once again Scottie King I love your choices... I was actually just looking at a small painting I have of the Prescribed Vibe album cover wanting to add Gypsey Soul before ya beat me to it...

As well as said by so many before i was going to add Days of You as well... and OSB!

and out in Van... StnMtn u may know of these guys but there was a really great Funky band that was playing around 94 to 96 ish and probably beyond but their name escapes me... female singer , lots of percussion... If it comes to me Ill post it here...

Yeah, they were awesome. They came to Southern Ontario for about six weeks one time (maybe '95 or '96), and made Hamilton their base as it was pretty centrally located. They must have played six or seven gigs at the old Amigo's in Hess Village during their stay. Very cool.

ooh I dug that Fun For Malakai band too, it was Starling guy's pre-Starling band. Their tape used to be in high rotation when I had a tape deck in the car.

Opening for Fun For Malakai was the first gig my old band ever got, although oddly enough it wasn't the first gig we played. We also had the world's record for almost opening for the Age Of Faith without it ever happening (something like three times).

RnB

washed up geezer

Yeah, they were awesome. They came to Southern Ontario for about six weeks one time (maybe '95 or '96), and made Hamilton their base as it was pretty centrally located. They must have played six or seven gigs at the old Amigo's in Hess Village during their stay. Very cool.

Nice.

I forgot all about those guys.I caught a couple Amigo's shows & I think they played a show or two at La Lunas also.Great band,loads of fun.

Guest Low Roller

Punchbuggy! I'm not sure where they were from, but I used to see them often back in the day.

There's also Bertha Does Moosejaw, which was a friend's band from high school.

Good call on Furnaceface.

Wooderson-Basically the BUs before they were the bus.....super jammy...a few different mebers..i cant remeber who all was in it then but they rocked

Fat Tala-now tala...they were a super jam band back when they were fat tala...Sucha different sound...god i miss em!!!

I remember going to parties at "The Box" in Dundas, basically some Deadhead's backyard, and seeing High Times perform there. This was 1990/1991 and was pretty formative for me. I also enjoyed an extrememly underage-for-me NYE with High Times at a pub in Ancaster. I wound up making out with a girl I had a crush on in the back of some dude's VW, absolutely FLYING on acid. Oh to be young, horny, high and stupid again!

Then there was the High Times/Doug Feaver double bill at the old Tivoli. Good times, good times.....