Jambands.ca

what is up with the people at ottawa bluesfest?

DevO

Are they really unorganized or just never in the office or what?

I filled out an online volunteer application maybe 6 or 7 weeks ago. Nothing has happened since. About 2 weeks ago I started trying to get in touch with them.. Emailing the general Bluesfest email address as well as the email address for the Volunteer Coordinator in specific.

Every day, Mon-Fri, I call the Bluesfest office at least once a day (often more). Neither the main operator, nor the extension for the volunteer coordinator, ever picks up the phone. I have left more than a few phone messages on each answering machine.

I am really eager to be a volunteer, cuz otherwise I'm not coming. But I have to give my boss a proper amount of notice ahead of time, ya know?? If I don't find out the deal in the next few days, I'm afraid I won't be able to make it.

I just wish they could tell me what the status is for volunteers --- ie. have all the positions I've applied for been filled, or are they still going through apps or what. Have any of you had any similar experiences with these guys?

I've heard two schools of thought on this one:

1. There are a lot of good people working at the bluesfest but they are just swamped with work and just don't have the staff to handle the volume of inquiries they get.

2. The people behind bluesfest are very "cliquey", and if you don't have a connection to get you in, forget about it.

Your mileage may vary.

Edited by Guest

I know, from a booking stand point, that this year has been much more unorganized that years previous. Part of that has to do with the fact that one of the people in charge with booking was in a really bad car accident just before the press release on the bands.

I have no idea how much of that would have spilled over into other areas of the operation

at least some progress has been made!

i finally was able to speak with dave tremblay, the volunteer coordinator. he said he was turned off by the fact that i wasn't from ottawa. i assured him i have a comfortable place to stay with family for the duration of the festival. he also seemed encouraged when i told him that i was 25 years old.

one of the positions i applied for has already been filled.. another one, the "clubhouse" position, the guy recruiting for that will be done recruiting at the end of this week so if that guy doesn't call me, i didn't get it. and also the volunteer bbq position, someone else handles that one, and they're not done recruiting yet.

he said if i don't hear back from anyone by monday, then to give him a call again.

hey, its better than nothin!

have you had any luck del?

As a fallback Kev you'll end up on the alternates list (as will you Del if you don't hear anything), and the upside of that is that you'll do a whole range of different volunteer jobs. It depends on what's needed on any given day

Despite the popularity of the acts this year there'll probably still be room for most people who apply.

I'm in!!!!!!! After much hassling I've finally found myself a volunteer slot. I'm doing inventory control, which from the sounds of it is one of the least attractive volunteer positions, but oh well I say. You only have to do 6 shifts throughout the whole festival to get a full pass, which isn't bad at all. Hey Del, if you are still wanting to volunteer, you should give them a call. 613-247-1188 x.234 will get you to Dave Tremblay, the volunteer coordinator. (he's been answering his phone lately).