Jambands.ca

Evolve Lineup Part 1

TheSloth

This was taken from a jamhub.ca thread - The headliners have yet to be announced (they hinted at June 20th for the announcement). I'll do my best and try and reserve my judgement until the headliners are finalized.

THE VORCZA TRIO(feat. Ray from Dave Matthews &Friends)

Vermont USA

http://www.vorcza.com/

CHRIS BROWN CITIZEN BAND (NYC Allstars)

NYC USA

www.chrisbrownmusic.com

CHRIS BROWN AND KATE FENNER

NYC USA

www.chrisandkate.com

WASSABI COLLECTIVE

Nelson, BC

www.wassabi.net

CLASSIFIED

Halifax

URBNET Records

www.urbnetrecords.com

THE GRATEFULLY DEADICATED SOUND SYSTEM

Toronto ON

Independent

JUNGLE BROTHERS

NYC USA

PREMIERE ARTISTS

www.jbeez.com

SLOW COASTER

Cape Breton, NS

www.houseofrock.ca

NINE MILE

Toronto, ONT

www.nine-mile.com

KOBAYASHI

Montreal, PQ

www.kobayashi-jazz.com

HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER/AMB

Antigonish/Toronto

www.highplainsdrifter.ca

STEPHAN FRANKE

Victoria, BC

www.stephenfranke.ca

DUANE ANDREWS

St. John’s NF

www.duaneandrews.ca

ROGER HOUSE

Halifax, NS

http://www.rogerhowse.com

MELON WORKS

Freddy, NB

www.melonworks.ca

All OF GREEN

St. John, NB

Dj HARRY

BOULDER Colorado USA

www.djharry.net

www.madisonhouseinc.com

MO7S

Boston/ Los Angelas

http://mo7s.com/

Dj MELO

Finland

www.djmelo.info

SONNY D with JESSICA NIGHT

EVOLVE TRIBE/MOVETHEMASSES

www.evolvefestival.com

www.movethemasses.com

MIKE WALSH

Boston Mass. U.S.A

Marz Entertainment / Evolve Tribe

http://marzentertainment.com

THE PHAT CONDUCTOR (LIVE PA)

Toronto Ont.

2wars

http://thephatconductor.com

http://www.2wars.com/

ELECTRICIAN

Toronto Ontario

womped

http://www.womped.com

DVD

Antigonish Nova Scotia

AQUA / EVOLVE TRIBE / movethemasses

www.evolvefestival.com

www.movethemasses.com

STEVE THE VIKING

FREDRICTON N.B

EVOLVE TRIBE / ULTRASOUND PRODUCTIONS

www.evolvefestival.com

www.ultrasoundproductions.ca

MATT ANAKA

Sackville, NB

Evolve Tribe /movethemasses

www.evolvefestival.com

www.movethemasses.com

ZOO

Halifax NS

Massive

www.massive-productions.com

SOUNDSYSTER

EVOLVE TRIBE / ULTRASOUND PRODUCTIONS

www.evolvefestival.com

www.ultrasoundproductions.ca

www.soundsyster.com

NICK NONSENSE with DEEMAH (LIVE PA)

Halifax, NS

Revolution

ROO

Antigonish, NS

Evolve Tribe

www.evolvefestival.com

JAY HAMILTON VS. DANNY NEWTON

Halifax NS

Independent / Doppleganger

www.jay-hamilton.com

SEAN KEATING

Halifax NS

Future Fusion

www.seankeating.tk

DJ TOMMYKNUCKLES

Halifax NS

KNUCKLES Productions / Evolve Tribe

www.knucklesproductions.com

ROB'S BROTHER

Charlottetown PEI

Evolve Tribe / Frequency DJs

www.evovlefestival.com

TODD HODDER

Halifax NS

Future Fusion

http://todd.drop.to

STEVE NURSE

Independent

Halifax N.S

NUKE

Halifax N.S

EvolveTribe

www.evolvefestival.com

JODY CROWE

Halifax N.S

Courageous Productions

www.courageous-productions.com

This gets a big huge MEH from me, but I'll reserve my final judgement until the headliner is announced as well... (They better be getting a couple of HUGE acts as headliners as well... CTMF had a better lineup than this for May...)

Considering the number of repeats from last year's festival:

THE VORCZA TRIO

CHRIS BROWN AND KATE FENNER

WASSABI COLLECTIVE

THE GRATEFULLY DEADICATED SOUND SYSTEM

STEPHAN FRANKE

etc.

they should change the name of the festival from Evolve to Stagnant...

Hmmm... some may call these bands the core... Not like I've been to many festivals... but the ones I do go to usually have a group that keep comming back and give it an identity or musical compass if you were... besides, I didn't see Classified there last year... he's unreal! Nor Chris Brown ! (okay I know not a thing of this dude :P)... but the crowd alone (minus 24hour DJ's in the campground this year hopefully) is enough to bring me back again! :P

~W

I didn't see... Chris Brown

Well he was there last year... With Kate Fenner no less... Sugar coat it all you want, if you want to talk "core acts" you have to start with GTB and JSB... neither of which is on the bill (yet)... This lineup is weak and won't get many doubters to attend this year...

I didn't see... Chris Brown

Well he was there last year... With Kate Fenner no less... Sugar coat it all you want' date=' if you want to talk "core acts" you have to start with GTB and JSB... neither of which is on the bill (yet)... This lineup is weak and won't get many doubters to attend this year...

[/quote']

Oh, sorry, I meant his other band...I can see how that 'loose' comment would draw your ire though. Still it stands, I didn't see him with Kate (personally) last year... I was at another stage... though I've heard good things, so that's another good reason (for me) to go, especially if he's so good. ;)

Yeah, I imagine the doubters would stay away... duh.

Oh yeah, so, your sayin there's the same bands which sucks (Vorzca, Wassabi), but not the same bands which also sucks (JSB, Bus)... I think you just like to complian. Or I'm just really confused... and before you say it, I know, I know, JSB and GTB go much futher back... but I haven't read my History of Evolve fancy book yet... maybe when they release it for Evolve's 25th anniversary I'll get all caught up... it's comming up soon so watch out! :) I really hope they put in an Encylopedic section in said book ;).

So what's your favourite baseball team?

~W

Edited by Guest
A couple of commas, fu©k the spelling :p

Oh yeah, so, your sayin there's the same bands which sucks (Vorzca, Wassabi), but not the same bands which also sucks (JSB, Bus)... I think you just like to complian. Or I'm just really confused...

I don't like to complain - several people have stated that this year's Evolve lineup is nothing short of pathetic... I'm saying I find it funny that a festival called Evolve seems to be fairly repetitive in it's lineup this year. I wouldn't consider Vorcza or Wassabi core bands, but oddly enough, those are about the only two bands I would have any interest in catching if I was going this year... Evolve built itself on the backs of GTB and JSB. The fact that they aren't listed in the lineup (for whatever reasons) only adds to what is already a disasterous year for Evolve... If GTB and JSB aren't there (the two biggest draws on the east coast) then what does it say about the identity (or musical compass if you were) of this year's Evolve? Higher ticket prices + lacklustre lineup = worst Evolve ever... You don't need an encyclopedia to figure that out...

(For the record, Chris Brown and Kate Fenner joined the Rheos on stage and also played with Luther Wright & The Wrongs last year... I'm also 90% sure they played their own gig as well)

I would just like to chime in and say we otta give the Inchworm fellas and organizers of Evolve a break.

They all work really hard and the logistics and bookings of such a festival in the middle of nowhere in Canada no less makes it tough to get US acts/headliners to confirm.

I understand from the concert goers perspective(I am a heavily traeveled one myself) , that not knowing what's up makes it hard to plan your concert vacation.

Problem is..at least in my humble view that Antigonish NS, is not exactly a huge market that demands immediate attention from larger US bands.

The reasons festivals in the states like High Sierra, All Good, 10,000 Lakes, Gathering of the Vibes etc... get many large acts and announce way ahead of time, is that they have the numbers (30,000-60,000 or more vs. 3,000-5,000 at Evolve) and are the markets these bands want to play in first for exposure and $.

I'm sure the headliners that Evolve would like to get, make them wait until all thier summer plans are finalized, as Evolve is not a priority in the grand scope of things.

I personally think it's amazing they get any larger name acts up there at all, considering the distance, the expense and hassel of crossing the border as a US (or foriegn band) and the fact that Evolve is a tertiary market at best for many US bands.

Cut 'em some slack. You know they're tryin'.

My 2 cents

spread_love_harmless.jpg

NEW ADDITION MORE TO COME!

CHAMELEON PROJECT

Toronto Ont.

www.chameleonproject.com

Jazz, jungle, disco, funk, dub, techno…it’s all about a groove. What keeps it engaging is improvisation. It keeps changing. It never stops. It’s at the heart of all great music…and it’s in the DNA of the members of the Chameleon Project (CP).

CPs guitarist Josh Laing says the band is about using the musical tools pioneered by the masters of the past, to create progressive and distinct music for the future. “We’re all trained jazz musicians who’ve been heavily influenced by groove-oriented music of everyone from Art Blakey and Charlie Parker to James Brown and The Meters, to Lee Scratch Perry, Amon Tobin and the most frenetic drum and bass and free jazz..”

The band has tuned into the growing audience that appreciates a wide range of improvised styles from classic straight ahead jazz to the propulsive rhythms of electronic music. The band is not afraid to take chances night after night and brings loyal followers wherever they play

Well, there it is our funky breakbeat dub-jazz jazztronic asses have been added to the Evolve line up! Can't wait to kick ass and take names....musically that is.

ChameleonStylin.jpg