Jambands.ca

Marijuana, marijuana...

\/\/illy

The coolest part of the article is the bullet point near the top that says: "BIG PICTURE: Marijuana". I saw that and thought, "Man, I hope that actually links to a big picture of marijuana..." Sure enough, it did...

Aloha,

Brad

Get ready to start paying lots of fines...

I have a feeling that this isn't giong to work out too well for the recreational users. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me smoking pot is being largely ignored right now. However once this comes into effect I can see the cops going full force and handing out tickets left right and centre.

yes, the proportion of people getting nabbed for smoking may increase, but the consequences of it, for those that are, will be much easier to live with...

I'm wondering about cultivation under 15g's....is that kosher? or does it depend how the plant is weighed, how much does one plant weigh??

small question?

if they want to double the sentence on the dealers, where do they want the pot to come from?

I hope i can get a job soon, fugged if i'm going down double, just so that someone can purchase under 15 grams and get away w/ a ticket...

Maybe they are just saying that; really wanting to get the growers....I dunno.

Still wont be doing a dance of joy yet....

hash is usually more potent than weed, with a higher thc percentage per gram.

So having 15 grams of hash has a lot more thc content than having 15 grams of weed. It takes a hellova lot more than 15 grams of weed to make 15 grams of hash.

Thats where i think they are coming from.

The last two times I've seen (Ottawa) police confront marijana usage (friends smoking "something [that] smells funny" on Rideau outside a club, and the cops who came into the Jiva Ju house and noticed an "interesting lamp"), I've been moderately impressed: it seems they erred on the side of "keeping the peace" rather than "enforcing the letter of the law" and didn't do anything except tell the smoker to put it out, or ignored the "lamp" completely.

Remember, the cops don't rigidly enforce all the ticketable offences (consider jaywalking: how many people do you see crossing either agaist the lights, or crossing where there aren't any lights, even right in front of cops; how many get ticketed?).

That said, I think there'll be a temporary spike in people getting busted (now ticketed), which'll then fall off as users and cops adjust to the new situation.

Aloha,

Brad

Brad, that's what I've been wondering. Like you pointed out right now they are being fairly laxed when it comes to charging people. I guess the big question is will they not bother at all now dealing with it because it's not worth their time. Or, will they go on a bonnanza fining everyone they can get their hands on. How are other sort of similar fineable laws working out? For example I'm thinking that if your caught drinking in public that's gotta be about a $100 fine. Do you usually get the fine, or just loose your beer? Maybe that's not a good example... Either way it will be interesting to see how it goes down.

But for now as MarcO said discretion is the key. And it definetly is good that you can't get a criminal record for small possession.

quote:

I'm wondering about cultivation under 15g's....is that kosher? or does it depend how the plant is weighed, how much does one plant weigh??

when i was going thru court i listened to alot of cases waiting for mine to come up, for months, and months, i heard lots. this is how they do growing personal plants.

if you grow it in a bucket of dirt, your FUCKED

they weigh the bucket with dirt and plant inside, so now you have a cultivation charge as well as possesion of say 5-10 lbs of pot(really dirt)

its fucked up, im not sure if i like these new rulings. whoever said theres going to be alot more busts is right.

For some reason, I figured that the hash thing was because it was more obviously processed to be distributed as a drug. This doesn't really make a lot of sense so don't ask me to explain it. [smile] Somewhere hidden in that brain fart are the reasons that I think they are going to treat hash differently.

I wonder how oil will be handled?

I saw something on the news that cultivation of between 1-3 plants can get you a fine of up to $5,000, more than that and you're much more screwed, though I don't remember the details (and not cause I'm high...yet...).

I think this is pretty weak legislation, though no doubt it's good that people aren't going to get criminal records for mere possession anymore. It's just so stupid. What they're saying, in effect, is that we don't think people who smoke pot for recreational purposes should be treated like criminals, but cultivating the very thing whose use we don't think should be criminalized, will be criminalized even more than it used to be. ? ? ? And they're worried about people under the influence of weed not having all their cranial capabilities up and running full tilt? I could be high as a kite and still know that's utter nonsense. Heh heh, I said udder.

Thank you, Uncle Sam.

I support decriminalization, however I dont think this new legislation will really have that big of an effect on our everyday lives. If you get caught with some pot, you are still gonna lose what you have on you and have to pay a fine, so people who smoke will probably still do so and continue to try to avoid being caught, and people who dont smoke are unlikely to start because of this new legislation. The whole issue just seems to be something else gor our government to argue like little children over and make things seem more controversial than they need to be. Why cant they just do the right thing once in awhile without screwing it up?

I've got a sweet gram in my pocket

(testin th' law)

two days ago I felt more self-conscious about posting that here

we all live our lives... how much does the law really come into it... if you believe in something... anything... its best you don't feel guilty for doing so if you really don't think you should... you yourself know if you are doing something wrong... enjoying life and relaxing isn't wrong...

drunken 7:30 post from pais (now here is where we need laws)

Hey paisley, that's so true.

Talking about pot may be less tense...

I know people hide the fact that they partake from a lot of people, and I wonder if it is because it's been illegal.

Now, if it is decriminalized, will the prejudice go away? Can you be open now and say I SMOKE POT NOT TOO FREQUENTLY AND I'M PROUD?

My last job, the owner was so against pot that he hated anyone that touched it. Needless to say, I saw an employee or 2 (including myself) be turned against over the belief that they liked pot. One guy was pretty much canned because he was believed to be a stoner.

Harsh Tokes!

This new legislation doesn't really mean too much as, right now, it's really just a proposition and, thus far, the response has not been very positive.

Understandably, Canada's marijuana law reformation has taken a bit of a back-burner to recent global events and, as an unfortunate result, Chrétien will not be around long enough to push through Bill C-38 before his less supportive colleagues take over.

Frankly, C-38 does not reach nearly far enough into the reality of Canada's pot growing/smoking culture anyway. There need to be parameters laid forth on a much more fundamental level; none of these lame and subjective fines until we wait and see how the big, bad Americans might respond to our radical new ‘reefer-madness’ reforms!!!

I may be leaning toward the cynical on this one, but I just wonder how many Canadian tax-payer dollars are going to be unwittingly sunk into repeatedly attempting to resolve what should really be a non-issue in the first place (does anyone else remember the Quebec referendum(s)?)

PEACE!

Unfortunately, Paul Martin, our next Prime Minister, has already announced that he plans to grease up, spread his feet shoulders width apart, and bend over for the americans. So, anthing that is proposed or even put in place right now is going to be withdrawn and reworked anyway. Nice try Jean. The really sad thing is: What happened to Alan Rock? He so should be the next Prime Minister. He's made for the job. Very sad. No option but the Liberals and no threat amongst them to give Paul a run for his money. Hmmm, it's almost biblical. Jean will be handing the reigns over to Paul. [Razz]

Archived