Jambands.ca

the Cover Band is looking for...

timouse

if we do decide a summer road trip (and I'm pretty sure this is gonna happen --how can we give this a miss and live with ourselves?), what happens Esau to the folks (and their car) who were trying to get you across the border. If it just means a long walk back for you, Dave and I can probably find space for you in our car.

Haha..I appreciate the offer but I couldn't subject anyone to the possibe results,which like Tim mentioned are not good at all,although that would only really happen if I were to lie and say I had never been convicted of a crime.

If they don't ask me,then I could probally get in (I did in 01 for TAB) but in all truth,with a huge tattoo on the side of my neck,I usually am always questioned about numerous things.They werten't going even let me cross in 1997 for cancer treatments,I had all the paper work from both Canada & the US health groups,as well the cancer clinic's letter (by my request) explaining the seriousness & required reason of my visit.Not to mention my ma was driving & she works for the federal parole board.Two hours later,& one treatment missed I was allowed to go on condition my next time I attempt to cross I have better already sent my prints to the FBI,have another copy for the border,been pardoned by the Queen & ok by the US..so on & so on.

#When I have tried & failed,I usually catch a ride with folks I'm going with,jump out at the border & make my attempt before they do,that way if I dont get across they know it before they do & if I do its all good..I'm one for three so far (not good track record)

We have a piano/keyboard player who will be making his home in Hamilton as of September, haven't mentioned anything to him yet...

Hey...are we talking about the same keyboard player that's expressed interest in playing for Rose Garland when he gets to Hamilton this September? Don't make me arm wrestle... ;)

deb, ask chuck about his adventures in inadvertent people smuggleng...had his car confiscated and had to pay many $$$$ in fines to get it back.

the lesson is make sure that you ask all passengers heading stateside whether or not they have ever been refused entry...i think the question never came up with chuck's friend, in the eyes of US Customs chuck was assisting the illegal entry of a person into the US. and this was pre 911 to boot, they'll probably shoot you now :)

Trust me, it's not something that you want to be messing with. Always know EVERYTHING about the folks in your vehicle; you're responsible for them and anything that they've done in the past, whether you willingly know it, or in my case, are blissfully unaware.

This was back in 1991, and it took almost 6 months for me to get my name cleared and car back. I had to go for two interviews with U.S. Customs (guess I wasn't convincing enough on the first one) and even after they found me clear of any wrongdoing, I still had to pay about $1000 Canadian for "administrative fees"; as the lady on the phone explaine it to me, it was to cover "stationary, postage, paper clips... that sort of thing". Sheesh...

The good thing was that the U.S. Marshals stored my car indoors (I had only had it for about a week), took it for a spin around the parking garage once a week to keep everything nice and lubricated, and even washed it before handing it back over to me! To this day, they still look at me suspiciously when I try to cross (haven't been refused, though) and about half of the time I'm guaranteed to have Customs run my credentials, which is probably just their way of letting me know that they're still keeping an eye on me. That said, I'd probably do it all over again...I mean, you would too if you had seen the bikini that my friend had packed for Florida...

I'd probably do it all over again...I mean, you would too if you had seen the bikini that my friend had packed for Florida...

i knew you had a good reason for putting yourself through all that :) and if we are talking about kookycanooky, then you did technically ask him first, and further to the point, you're already a band :)

so it looks like the 2 things to come out of this thread (three if you count chuck's cautionary tale about border crossing) are

a possible road trip to levon's farm, and

lots of interest in The Cover Band.

so sound off if you want to claim a chair!

i'll start - i put dibs on a drum stool. hopefully it's behind a kit. next?

guitar

and per larry_llama, drum stool #2

EDIT: Has anybody expressed concrete interest in playing bass? I was under the impression somebody had. If that's not the case, I'll gladly play bass. Otherwise I'm sure there's room for me as another guitar player.

Edited by Guest

We have a piano/keyboard player who will be making his home in Hamilton as of September, haven't mentioned anything to him yet...

Hey...are we talking about the same keyboard player that's expressed interest in playing for Rose Garland when he gets to Hamilton this September? Don't make me arm wrestle... ;)

Indeed we are dude. His name's Adam, he's a good friend of mine, we'll be roomies in Sept. By all means, if things work out for you guys, I'd love nothing better than to see him join the band. I personally love what you do and I think it would be awesome. I'm sure he'll juggle as many musical commitments as he can.

You're not looking to add a second drummer are you? I'd love to do it, and if forced to toot my own horn, I'll say I've definately got the chops. PM me if you're interested.

guitar

and per larry_llama, drum stool #2

EDIT: Has anybody expressed concrete interest in playing bass? I was under the impression somebody had. If that's not the case, I'll gladly play bass. Otherwise I'm sure there's room for me as another guitar player.

hey aaron, a guy named snail who dr evil and i have known since high school had originally spoken up as the bass guy...he just got a new bass after a great deal of getting the runaround from steve's he scored it next day from long and mcquades.

paging snail, please pick up the white courtesy phone...

sides which there's lots of room for guitar players, particularly multi instrumental ones :)

Given that a defining factor of The Band's music was the constant presense of both piano and organ, I think two keyboard players would be great!

agreed. keyboard guys are hard to come by tho' :) if we can convince can and adam that they need to do this, then we're happy as fat rats :)

edit to add - not to strike a sore point with you about rats, arron, maybe i should have picked a better expression :)

Edited by Guest

Looks like I missed this entire thread due to the fact I got my new bass last week and spent all my free time make my fingers blister and entirely too busy at work to login. I'm definately into playing bass (hopefully not stepping on TheGoodRev's toes). I'd love to go see Levon, though I'm not sure if I'll find the time this summer (there is some sort of webcast though).

Anyone got a short list of tunes we can start learning.

I'm currently lovin' It Makes No Difference, Get up Jake, I Shall Be Released (technically not The Bands tune), King Harvest (if it can actually be covered, it's a tricky one), Chest Fever (paging killer keyboardist) Ferdinand The Imposter and you gotta love the way they do Mystery Train.

I'm currently lovin' It Makes No Difference, Get up Jake, I Shall Be Released (technically not The Bands tune), King Harvest (if it can actually be covered, it's a tricky one), Chest Fever (paging killer keyboardist) Ferdinand The Imposter and you gotta love the way they do Mystery Train.

i would add stage fright, shape i'm in and don't do it ( still have that bass line bouncing through m head :)