Jambands.ca

Question of the day: Beatles

MarcO

The question is:

The Beatles: 1962-1966 or 1967-1970?

I ask because I've had the pleasure recently of working my way through the DVD Anthology collection, a must see for all Beatlemaniacs.

Personally, I am just amazed at the earlier period. Young, handsome, talented, and bursting at the seams with charm and personality, I'll never want to live without those first 5 or 6 albums. The level of innovation and sophistication those seemingly "simple pop" songs were being produced at is astounding, imo. Melodies to die for, harmonies that make you cry ("That Boy") and - here's the revelation in watching early footage for me - a fucking kick-ass live band! There's some footage of them playing circa 1963 where they sound almost punk-ish in their earnest, raw delivery. Anyone who suggests that Ringo Starr was not a kick-ass drummer is missing the point: he played with energy and spunk that a "better" drummer may not have been able to bring to the table. He kicks ass on those early albums and performances!!!

To see and hear the joy and wonder of those young guys just givin' er, not knowing whether they'd fall off the charts in a week or two, not knowing where they would or could eventually go, is something else.

And this period encompasses what is to me, their ultimate artistic statment: Revolver. More so than the celebrated Sgt. Pepper's album, this is the pinnacle of scope and vision for these guys. Every song an album in and of itself, the shadow of deep psychedelia colouring each tune (even "Yellow Submarine"), it still sounds fresh and new.

They would go on to make more ambitious, self-serving music in the years to come, all of which should be heard and treasured by everyone with at least one ear but for my money, give me the young, hungry Beatles, when they loved being together, when there was no "legacy" to uphold and when they wrote "pop" songs of the highest order without adornment or artifice. It just doesn't get any better.

Music to make you feel glad to be alive! [big Grin][big Grin]

-

Well to sort of answer your question...

Like everyone I knew the Beatles, knew some songs, knew Sgt. Peppers and the White Album. Sure I like a lot of the songs, but to be honest I guess I didn't really get it. I really didn't see what all the fuss was about. I'm really not a fan of pop, especially brit pop. Now I'm not saying I don't like the Beatles, I just wansn't a fanatic. I do respect them, and understand their contribution to the future of music. But what can I say, perhaps my exposure to them wansn't that great.

Now thanks to MarcO I'm really enjoying Revolver and Rubber Soul. Those albums are 65/66 and have a different sound of what I was expecting from the Beatles. Somewhere inbetween the poppiness and the psychedelia. Good Stuff! Thanks MarcO!

If I could omit Let It Be, I would prefer the '67-'70 period hands-down. Still, that is the period that interests me nowadays. When I was a kid of 5 or 6, I got my first Beatles album: Meet The Beatles. I then got the Red Album 1962-66 etc... I kind of worked my way chronologically.

Now, 30 years later, the " newer " Beatles music is my favourite and the most interesting and diverse. I still think that lunatic murderer Phil Spector's over-production ruined Let It Be, but thankfully, Abbey Road, Magical Mystery Tour, The White Album, Sgt. Pepper's are all masterpieces. All-in-all, they're all good!

Hey Bouche, to clarify: I like Let It Be, but I think it's the weakest of their " great " albums relesed between 1967-70. Phil Spector's production doesn't do it for me. I've never been a fan of Get Back or The Long And Winding Road.

But, there are songs from my other favourite bands that I don't care for either: Long Live Rock; Love Reign O'er Me; Trampled Underfoot; D'Yer Mak'er; All My Love; Southbound; lots of Phish tunes; some mid to later Dead etc...

quote:

Originally posted by Rob Not Bob:

Also, the question is incorrect on a basic level. The concept of Beatles history being divided in half can be blamed on the Red and Blue compilation albums.

Well, "incorrect" [Roll Eyes] or not, it's still the question!

I'm with Cyberhippie. Never got into them much. They seemed too bubblegummy for me. Even in the "psychadelic days" i am not real crazy about them. If a song comes on i usually have to ask what song it is unless it is one of the popular ones.

Still have huge respect for the groundwork they did on the world stage. Just not my cup o tea. In highschool when everyone loved the Beatles, i listened to a lot of Zeppelin, Doors, Metallica, Allmans, Dead (around grade 12), CCR....

Early period, for sure.

While Revolver and Rubber Soul are my hands-down favourites, I'd still rather hear Please Please Me than the White Album any day.

As for the Let It Be debate... I have to say that I never really liked it that much until recently - but now, I'd have to say that it's definitely my favourite "late-era" album!

(of course, any Beatles is better than no Beatles at all...)

My first favorite group was definitley the Beatles (from the age of like 5), followed closely by Jimi Hendrixl the Doors and the loveable Huey Lewis. I got my first walkman in grade 4, and loved walking to school listening to Sgt Pepper, and Abbey Road.. I got into those first. Then later (grade 6?) the early stuff which I also love, but I feel like revolver-abby road is my favorite era.. let it be was the last record I got and definitley my least favorite. not sure why, i like the tunes, just never really had the magic for me.

I think the Beatles are far from the creators 'brit pop'.. they are the creators of modern pop.

I thought it was funny when people started comparing Oasis to the beatles. please!!!

Hey, interesting question! My instinct would be to say 67-70 hands down, but as CH pointed out Revolver and Rubber Soul are earlier. I sort of see those as the transition albums where they when from a really really good pop band to the great innovators of modern music we think of today. Plus, for me, I could listen to Magical Mystery Tour all day and all night, so I guess I still have to go with 67-70.

BTW Jaimoe, although I see your point about the Spector production on some of the tunes, Let It Be is still a great album in my books. It's hard to beat songs like "Two Of Us", "Across The Universe", "I've Got A Feeling", "One After 909", etc etc etc.

Peace,

Mr. M.

Hey Mr. M, my beef is with the strings and the over-all over-production of Let It Be. But I also dislike some of the songs out-right: Get Back, The Long And Winding Road. I actually find that I can't even listen to the latter song at all - much like The White Album's Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da.

I'm more than eager however to hear the yet-to-be-released Spector-less version of Let It Be. When it comes out, I'm buying it.

As a life-time Beatleholic, I can honestly say I love everything!!

Depending on my mood, I may be more into "Abbey Road" than "Beatles For Sale", but there are some GREAT tunes in those early years, just as brilliant musically as the later stuff, minus some of the studio experimentation....IMO.

Also, the question is incorrect on a basic level. The concept of Beatles history being divided in half can be blamed on the Red and Blue compilation albums. In fact, the history of the Beatles would more accurately be divided into 3 eras : 63-65, 66-67 (Rubber Soul to Magical Mystery Tour), and 68-70. This division of is backed up by it being used by Mojo magzine in their three Beatles specials, Ian MacDonald in his landmark analysis of the Beatles work Revolution In The Head, and by the Beatles themselves with their 3 volume Anthology CDs. And I agree with Dr. Hux, it's all good!

Rob Not Bob

the real Beatles geek (the one on Beat The Geeks should have his card taken away from him)

Ditto on what Hux said.

It's impossible to have a favorite era as I feel the need to hear the beatles in different eras at different times. Right now...I'm in a 65-66 mood by far. No Reply needed!

Jaimoe....I love Let It Be! Always have....always will. Some of the first guitar solos I learned note-for-note was directly related to let it be. Get Back and the Let it Be solo from the album (not the single) - I spent hours with my first guitar on those tracks.

I dig a pony!

I me mine!

One after 909!

HOo HA!

Shortly after I got my first electric guitar (a Fender Squier Bullet) and amp (a Roland Cube 20), I picked up a book called "Improvising Rock Guitar". In it was a transcription to the main riff of "Day Tripper". I distinctly remember learning it, playing it in my bedroom, and having my brother (whose room was beside mine) come running in, proclaiming, "I recognize that!" (Needless to say, very little I had played up to that point was recognizable...)

I also agree about not liking the Red / Blue album split. To me, the appropriate split would go something like:

1. pre-record deal (e.g., Hamburg)
  2. signing to EMI, through Beatlemania, to last concert
  3. start of "studio-only" Beatles though Sgt. Pepper and/or Maharishi
  4. everything after that

Of these, I think my favourite would be #3.

Aloha,

Brad

Archived