• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tuesday » June 21 » 2005

Barrie site for Live 8 concert

canada.com

June 21, 2005

Michael Cohl is behind the Rolling Stones' and U2's latest Canadian tours. (Canadian Press)

The suspense is over. Organizers have finally revealed that Canada's Live 8 concert will be held in Barrie.

Toronto Mayor David Miller had spent the last couple of days campaigning hard on behalf of Canada's largest city.

Last week, Miller said that he was disappointed by the prospect that his city could lose more than 150,000 Live 8 concert fans -- and their tourist dollars -- if the event was held at Barrie's Barrie's 80-hectare Park Place venue.

Blue Rodeo confirmed their band would be playing at the event yesterday. Our Lady Peace and The Barenaked Ladies are among the bands that will also take the stage.

Despite speculation about an appearance by the Rolling Stones, who are expected to spend part of the summer in Toronto rehearsing for an upcoming tour, they have said they won't play the gig.

The eight simultaneous concerts (the others are in London, Philadelphia, Paris, Rome, Berlin, Tokyo and Johannesburg) are intended to raise awareness of poverty before leaders of the wealthy G-8 countries -- which include Canada -- meet in Britain July 6-8.

The shows are set to feature some of the biggest names in music, including U2, Madonna, Paul McCartney, Coldplay and Sting.

Several people, including Cohl, who was a major player behind the 2003 SARS benefit concert in Toronto, and former Sony Music Canada president Denise Donlon, are organizing the logistics here in Canada.

© Canadian Press 2005

Copyright © 2005 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest Global Communications Corp. All rights reserved.

Capacity is 35,000... Tix are free, limited to 2 per person through Ticketmaster... Apparently there's some sort of quiz? in order to get the tix...

My favorite quote from the press conference:

"Of course I can't be there (in Canada) but I can't say I want to be there." - Bob Geldof

And Celine Dion will make a special appearance by satellite.

You mean someone's finally going to launch that caterwauling abomination into the airless vacuum of space? Man, I knew all the money that NASA and the USSR spent in researching space flight would come in handy...

Aloha,

Brad

I'm still hoping for Neil. No matter what, though, I'm going and I'll have an awesome time.

So, tickets...

Jaimoe: I keep trying the TicketBastard.ca site and nothing's coming up. Gettin' stressed here...

Give some insight bro! Are they on sale yet?

Seriously?!!!??!!??

KM I will owe you BIG TIME if you do that. (Besides, that way there's no excuse for me not to come see you for the show.)

Could I impose on you to do that? If so, could you PM me as soon as it's done so I won't stress out? (I assure you I'll be awake at the crack of 7 am on Thursday checking my PMs.)

You rock.

Hahaha! No worries there buddy. I'll be going to pick mine up anyway and will just bring someone else alone to grab 2 more. They'll be thanking you for giving them a reason to get out of the office. LOL

Okay, so that's the plan. I will get 2 for you on Thursday morning and send you a PM as soon as they're in my hot little hands. :D Yay! This should be an adventure!