Jambands.ca

Live 8 in BARRIE

StoneMtn

Apparently Park Place is in Toronto according to the Live8 website.

Live8

* African Guitar Summit

* Barenaked Ladies

* Blue Rodeo

* Bruce Cockburn

* Bryan Adams

* The Bachman Cummings Band

* Deep Purple

* DobaCaracol featuring Kna'an

* Gordon Lightfoot

* Great Big Sea

* Jann Arden

* Les Trois Accords

* Motley Crue

* Our Lady Peace

* Sam Roberts

* Simple Plan

* Tegan & Sara

* The Tragically Hip

* Tom Cochrane

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skill testing question for tix is:

According to Live 8 and Make Poverty History, what can the G8 leaders do to help make poverty history?

1. Increase foreign aid

2. Cancel the debt of poor countries

3. Make trade rules fair for the poor

4. All of the above

I just saw another piece on the concert on CTV (one of the major sponsors) and it said the capacity was 35,000... There seems to be a discrepency as to whether it will be 35,000 or 70,000...

I just read this on another board and found it funny...

"CHEZ 106 in Ottawa right now (classic rock station) is ALL Stompin' Tom until he gets added to the lineup. It's freakin' hilarious."

Stompin' Tom would have been awesome...

You know what? This lineup is looking really quite good. (I know some will disagree.)

Personally, I'm pleased to see:

Deep Purple (almost seen them many times, always missed them)

Bruce Cockburn (always an experience)

Gordon Lightfoot (Canada's Bob Dylan; what more can be said?)

Great Big Sea (fun East Coast Canadiana; always a good time live)

Sam Roberts (missed him at SARStock b/c he opened up too early in the day)

Overall, especially with the addition of Deep Purple, I'm looking forward to this one.

Well done Sir Bob Geldof!

Well done Sir Bob Geldof!

Geldof had no input in the lineup, as far as I could tell from the press conference... If he did have some input I think you would have seen a few more international acts and not so many middle of the road Canadian bands...

Does anyone else find it interesting (and somewhat frustrating) that the Canadian Live 8 concert is the only one with artists predominantly from our country? The London, Paris, Berlin and Philadelphia lineups all feature some very big international acts... The Tokyo and Johannesburg lineups haven't been announced yet, as least from what I can tell... Maybe those two cities will have mostly native acts as well, but as it stands the Barrie concert easily has the weakest lineup of any of the Live 8 gigs.

I also read somwhere that Motley Crue asked to play the London gig, but were refused so that the Sex Pistols could play. It looks like Canada is getting the left overs and undesirables... Here's the link...

I think its a joke how both Toronto and Barrie have been bickering over who is going to host this concert and who is going to collect the tourism dollars. This concert is about ending poverty in Africa. Maybe these two cities should take the majority of the proceeds of tax dollars collected from this event and donate it to African relief.

Christopher Reynolds, Mississauga, June 21

If I wanted to hear the same old Can-Con, I'd listen to the radio for free.

- Angela McCallum Toronto, June 21

Angela McCallum ought to be thrilled when she bothers to read any article on this event. She will then learn that it is all free.

Well done, Ms. McCallum! yeah.gif

I don't doubt that's true. We were the last added to the list.

But, DEEP PURPLE! That's enough for me.

Richie Blackmore is no longer in the band. I believe Steve Morse plays guitar for them now. Jon Lord has retired too.

Deep Purple without Blackmore is identicle to Black Sabbath without Tony Iommi.

Edited by Guest

Richie Blackmore is no longer in the band. I believe Steve Morse plays guitar for them now. Jon Lord has retired too.

Deep Purple without Blackmore is identicle to Black Sabbath without Toni Iommi.

I saw DP on Sunday night and they were FRICKIN' WICKED. Blackmore's shoes were aptly filled by Steve Morse.

Now, I would not say identical, but I agree Sabbath would not be Sabbath without Tony.

Tony struck a deal with Satan himself back in the late 60s. Satan told him all about the flattened 5th.

Over the years I've seen Sabbath perform with four different singers - in this order: Ronnie James Dio, Ian Gillan, Tony Martin, and of course, Ozzy.

If you're interested, Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler both have brand new solo albums out.

Tony's album has Glenn Hughes on vocals. He played bass for Deep Purple for a few years.

This sums it up for me

"Yawn. Looks like another dullish Juno Awards jam session. I'd rather stay home and watch London's version on the television."

Agreed it seems like we are the only ones to use predominately (sp?) Canadian bands, no international muscle....weeak...for a good cause though I guess which is the important thing