Jambands.ca

Drum Circles in Toronto?

Dr_Evil_Mouse

I'm sure I've asked that before, but, y'know, lame memory and everything. Anyone know what can be found in the Big Smoke over the summer in terms of regular drum circles? I hear there's a well-reputed one in Trinity-Bellwoods park on - is it Tuesday nights (as if I don't have trouble enough recovering from Mondays at the Gypsy :P )? Down the street from us, there are sporadic ones in Christie Pits, but those seem often to have the irritant of police cruisers regularly passing by at close quarters to blow the groove. Same story at Dufferin Grove too, I think.

For the latter, though, I know the guy who hosted the jams there last summer in the rinkhouse is planning on taking it outside this summer, so that might also be a possibility, in the next few weeks. In the meantime, is anything else going on?

Hmmmm, when I lived in Toronto years ago I used to come across drum circles in High Park from time to time. Don't know if there's anything like that going on now, but it would be a good place to check out (and get your groove on at).

Can we play guitar at Dufferin Grove? What time do they usually make you pack it in? I really want to check that place out soon. We were going to go last Friday for the communal pizza dinner, but I was super tired/bitter from rush hour and Lacey was covered in paint. Stiff gins and a bath won out instead. You and Deb around this weekend?

Ah yes - someone did mention High Park to me as a good one to come across. Will have to keep my ear to the rails for that.

Music at Dufferin Grove is right now a pretty much do-it-yourself affair - which is fine! (The rinkhouse jams were sometimes a touch-and-go thing, in the "ow, stop playing so loud and drunk" sort of way.) Those pizzas are definitely a draw in themselves (best I've ever tasted, imo). I'll have to sound Deb out about tonight, but if the weather's good and all, and you're around, we could well be in, and I would certainly tote a guitar and drum along. Any other takers too?

I've seen drum circles in Queen's Park and also there has been a crazy on-going one at Christie Pitts every Tuesday(?) evening that has been happening for several years.

Kinda sucks as I'm always on bike back coming back from the studio and wish I could lug one of my drums with me.

Happy Drum Hunting

Yeah, not much happenin' in Mississausage. However, I do have family who live there (Ginger O'Malley, where are you?). There may not be drum circles, but they do have a really cool tortoise and a "green room". ;) Let me know when you're moving and I'll introduce you to Ginger and Steverino.