Jambands.ca

PETA

rubberdinghy

I read a rant about a year ago or so from a girl who had worked for PETA in VA on another board.She was so shocked & disappointed over this & had quit the moment she caught wind to it.

" so we're grateful for the opportunity that this one provides to discuss the animal overpopulation crisis."

...isn't this why they were up in arms about the Canadian SPCA's claiming that euthanasia of some animals was necessary,(usually it's pets that were injured,very old or sick beyond repair).I remember a fairly big protest in front of the SPCA here in Hamilton years back (97 or 98).

Oh it's true, check out this story that came out today:

Two PETA Employees Arrested in N.C.

By Associated Press

June 17, 2005, 8:23 AM EDT

AHOSKIE, N.C. -- Two employees of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals have been charged with animal cruelty after dumping dead dogs and cats in a shopping center garbage bin, police said.

Investigators staked out the bin after discovering that dead animals had been dumped there every Wednesday for the past four weeks, Ahoskie police said in a prepared statement Thursday.

PETA has scheduled a news conference for Friday in Norfolk, Va., where the group is based.

Police found 18 dead animals in the bin and 13 more in a van registered to PETA. The animals were from animal shelters in Northampton and Bertie counties, police said.

The two were picking up animals to be brought back to PETA headquarters for euthanization, PETA president Ingrid Newkirk said Thursday. Neither police nor PETA offered any theory on why the animals might have been dumped.

Police charged Andrew Benjamin Cook, 24, of Virginia Beach, Va., and Adria Joy Hinkle, 27, of Norfolk, Va., each with 31 felony counts of animal cruelty and eight misdemeanor counts of illegal disposal of dead animals. They were released on bond and an initial court date was set for Friday.

Hinkle has been suspended, but Cook continues to work PETA, Newkirk said.

Newkirk said she doubted Hinkle had ever been cruel to an animal and said if the animals were placed in the bin, "We will be appalled."

Neither police nor PETA offered any theory on why the animals might have been dumped.

Probally so they (animals) could be discovered when the bins are emptied,giving PETA yet another bullshit excuse to chastise folks about animal cruelty & point fingers.

Disgusting hypocrisy.

I take it from Dr. Evi's comments that this is well-known as bull kaka. I really hope so, as I usually support PETA's positions on things.

I can't help but noticing that this article does not indicate who authored it, and there are no links to mainstream newspapers or media about this.

I suspect it's nonsense (and I hope I'm correct).

mmmm... dead animals on a Peta. Sorry, the Homer Simpson in me.

It's a sad truth, but animals have to be put down. Nobody has the resources to take care of every stray in the world. Putting an old or sick or even abused animal down is better than being one of those under-fed, abused animals stuck to a four foot leash. It's terrible that it has to happen, but it is a reality. Of course there are going to be scum bags and corruption in PETA, it exists in every organization.

I love animals, and I am not a PETA enthusiast at all, but I think they need to look deeper than just stats in this case.

7 Things You Didn't Know About PETA

1) PETA president and co-founder Ingrid Newkirk has described her group’s overall goal as “total animal liberation.” This means no meat, no milk, no zoos, no circuses, no wool, no leather, no hunting, no fishing, and no pets (not even seeing-eye dogs). PETA is also against all medical research that requires the use of animals.

2) Despite its constant moralizing about the “unethical” treatment of animals by restaurant owners, grocers, farmers, scientists, anglers, and countless other Americans, PETA has killed over 10,000 dogs and cats at its Norfolk, Virginia headquarters. During 2003, PETA put to death over 85 percent of the animals it collected from members of the public.

3) PETA has given tens of thousands of dollars to convicted arsonists and other violent criminals. This includes a 2001 donation of $1,500 to the North American Earth Liberation Front (ELF), an FBI-certified “domestic terrorist” group responsible for dozens of firebombs and death threats. During the 1990s, PETA paid $70,200 to an Animal Liberation Front (ALF) activist convicted of burning down a Michigan State University research laboratory. In his sentencing recommendation, a federal prosecutor implicated PETA president Ingrid Newkirk in that crime. And PETA vegetarian campaign coordinator Bruce Friedrich told an animal rights convention in 2001 that “blowing stuff up and smashing windows” is “a great way to bring about animal liberation.”

4) PETA activists regularly target children as young as six years old with anti-meat and anti-milk propaganda, often waiting outside their schools to intercept them as they walk to and from class-without notifying parents. One piece of kid-targeted PETA literature tells small children: “Your Mommy Kills Animals!” PETA brags that its messages reach over 2 million children every year, including thousands reached by e-mail without the permission of their parents. One PETA vice president told the Fox News Channel’s audience: “Our campaigns are always geared towards children, and they always will be.”

5) PETA has used a related organization, the PETA Foundation, to fund the misnamed Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM), a deceptive animal rights group that promotes itself as an unbiased source of medical and nutritional information. PCRM's president also serves as president of the PETA Foundation.

6) PETA runs campaigns seemingly calculated to offend religious believers. One entire PETA website is devoted to the claim-despite ample evidence to the contrary-that Jesus Christ was a vegetarian. PETA holds protests at houses of worship, even suing one church that tried to protect its members from Sunday-morning harassment. Its billboards taunt Christians with the message that hogs “died for their sins.” PETA insists, contrary to centuries of rabbinical teaching, that the Jewish ritual of kosher slaughter shouldn't be allowed. And its infamous “Holocaust on Your Plate” campaign crassly compares the Jewish victims of Nazi genocide with farm animals.

7) PETA has repeatedly attacked research foundations like the March of Dimes, the Pediatric AIDS Foundation, and the American Cancer Society, because they support animal-based research that might uncover cures for birth defects and life-threatening diseases. PETA president Ingrid Newkirk has said that “even if animal research resulted in a cure for AIDS, we would be against it.”

4) PETA activists regularly target children as young as six years old with anti-meat and anti-milk propaganda, often waiting outside their schools to intercept them as they walk to and from class-without notifying parents. One piece of kid-targeted PETA literature tells small children: “Your Mommy Kills Animals!” PETA brags that its messages reach over 2 million children every year, including thousands reached by e-mail without the permission of their parents. One PETA vice president told the Fox News Channel’s audience: “Our campaigns are always geared towards children, and they always will be.”

Now that's just brutal!

Edited by Guest

HAHAHAHAHAH! AWESOME!!! i'm so glad this is coming out, i've always hated PETA and thought they were a freakin' terriorist organization. and now there is published proof. i hope they lose TONS of their supporters over this. TONS!!!!

I think they just lost me.

I was always skeptical about their extreme stuff, but thought that they and I were relatively ad idem on the basic principles, and I supported their more moderate efforts.

It looks like I was probably wrong.

Hey StoneMtn...by no means was I trying to rub this in by posting links.I am very disappointed myself,I've never really liked PETA but I certianly don't find any entertainment or satisfaction in this,regardless of their other obvious wrong doings before this,I always kinda hoped they did some good in some way or another at one time.Nothing funny about this in my opinion.

Its disgusting and terribly depressing.

Okay everyone, settle down!!!

did anyone check out the authors of PetaKillsAnimals.com????

from their about us page:

"PETA Kills Animals" is a project of the Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF), a nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting the full range of choices that American consumers currently enjoy. In addition to malicious animal-rights activists, we stand up to the "food police," environmental scaremongers, neo-prohibitionists, meddling bureaucrats, and other self-anointed saints who claim to "know what's best" for you.

these are the same fukwads who do their best to belittle accepted scientific evidence on global warming and GMO foods, etc.

Sheesh -- just because it's on the innernet and a glossy, well designed site, don't mean it's true or legit.

Now as for the 2 PETA guys charged with cruelty, we'll just have to see how that plays out with the press conference.

While I also concur that some of PETA's tactics are extreme at times, I also respect that some people are willing to go so far in their pursuit of fairness and justice.

But make no mistake, there is a propagnda war afoot, and you can find evidence to support whatever side you choose to beleive -- that's another downside of the innernet -- and why I love teaching media literacy whenever I get the chance.

Actually I really didnt read the peta kills animals site.I went with NBC & CBS (TV coverage also) and a firsthand account from an ex-PETA member.

I've never liked PETA ever since the protested in front of the local SPCA calling them killers,not to mention supporting the ELF,who has done more damage to people then good for the enviroment.

(this is not in response to peta's shelter practises, but the animal rights issue overall):

they're fighting fire with fire. maybe overstepping what is reasonable in their tactics, but how can you get your point across when government is sponsoring industries of cruelty? that's a big machine to fight. someone needs to point out how fucked up our practises are.

why think differently when there's nothing wrong with the way we think?

how do we know there's nothing wrong with the way we think unless we try thinking differently?

the fact is we could live very well without being so horrible to animals, but we choose to look away and continue a thoughtless lifestyle. the more people who question their lifestyle and start to make changes then the easier it will be for everyone to live better. i believe it's high time for a paradigm shift. i think a lot of people feel it too, but don't change their ways because they don't feel their single contribution makes a difference, or because it is difficult to make changes when you feel you are alone or don't know how or what to change.

i value organisations like this for bringing awareness to issues and attempting to counteract the propaganda of the status quo, but i don't believe they will be ultimately responsible for making positive change - that has to come from each person's concious decisions.

the revolution will not be televised, si?