Jambands.ca

New Slip Album - Update

guigsy

If the more mellow version they play on the slip radio site is teh one there putting on the album i'm goign to be disapointed. It's alot more mellow. I mean sure Brad can hit all teh notes with the octive lower but I love Brad's voice when he rocks out...

"OH, born in December...."

Here's some more info from a Slip fan on the producer they are working with Matthew Ellard. Sounds interesting- buddy worked with Dinosaur Jr. amongst many others including George freaking Michael.

dirt digging on Mathew Ellard, the producer of latest slip album... heres what I finded.

...the members of Sudden Ease worked with award winning producer Matthew Ellard of Weezer, Rubyhorse and Mighty Mighty Bosstones fame. Guitarist Brainerd says of their latest release in comparison to their previous efforts, “This one is more directed and focused. The previous one we had produced ourselves. A lot of trial and error took place. This has a lot more cohesion to it. Working with Matthew Ellard really made a difference.” Needless to say, the band was very pleased with their album and Ellard’s work. Brainerd recalls, “It was incredible. He’s a cool, down-to-earth guy. Very upfront and to the point. He really helped us develop a sound we’re really proud of and trying to achieve." Ellard also gave the guys artistic freedom in creating their album. As Brainerd states, “A lot of people you run into, they always want to put their stamp on it, but he worked with us to achieve what we wanted to achieve."

Matthew Ellard

Biography

Matthew Ellard (Producer/Engineer/Mixer) started his career in 1989 at Sarm Studios in London, working with stars such as George Michael, The Pet Shop Boys, and Seal; and under producers and mixers such as Trevor Horn, Julian Mendelson, and Mark 'Spike' Stent. In 1992 he relocated to Los Angeles, taking over as Chief Engineer for the Cherokee Studios complex in Hollywood. There he spent five busy years recording rock bands and hip hop, working with producers Rick Rubin, Dr Dre, Al Jourgenson, Nick Didia, Paul Rothschild, Ronnie Champagne, The Robb Brothers, DJ Pooh, DJ Slip, John Hanlon, and Tim O’Heir among many others.

In 1996, Matthew was approached by the legendary Fort Apache Studios in Boston (Pixies, Throwing Muses, Dinosaur Jr, Radiohead, Morphine) to become Chief Engineer. There he began his long lasting relationship with the production team of Paul Q. Kolderie and Sean Slade (Radiohead, Hole, Mighty Mighty Bosstones). In 1997 Matthew went freelance, focusing on his own production work. He has seen many of his bands paired with major labels, and many of them receive extensive radio airplay. He recently completed Tanya Donnelly’s Beautysleep (4 AD), her second solo effort, which received rave reviews throughout Europe. In 2001, Matthew Ellard received the "Outstanding Producer of the Year" award at the Boston Music Awards.

Matthew continues to explore his own production work, as well as to continue his collaborative efforts as engineer.

Matthew Ellard was the man behind the boards. He has worked with tons of people, like George Michael, Motorhead, the Pet Shop Boys, Perry Farrell, a lot of metal and gangsta rap, etc..

Enlisting the help of producer/engineer Matthew Ellard was definitely the right choice by this four-some. Mr. Ellard has produced such acts as Billy Bragg & Wilco, Weezer, the Lemonheads, Sebadoh, and The Mighty Mighty Bostones to name a few. Though Helicopter Helicopter may not list these bands as direct influences, the overall feel is not so distant. Ellard's previous work certainly lends a hand in producing this record. Elements of Evan Dando, Weezer, and even Jeff Tweedy can be heard not only in the production of this record, but also in the musical stylings and voice of guitarist/vocalist Chris Zerby.

man, so no one needs to hear how excited i am for this record to drop, especially now knowing a little about the producer, and having read a bit about the environment they recorded in...

so i ask, given the nature of this new shit which has come to light, slip fans, folks who've heard some of the new songs, what's your big hopeful?

for me, all this makes me really wish for a Shouters... waits-ish and creepy as fuck.