Jambands.ca

campground recommendations...?

Calamity Jane

so, 'tis the season, eh?

we're starting to fill our summer calendar and want to make sure we get a few weeks & weekends of camping in. We usually go to Provincial Parks and like to try new ones each summer -- so please give your recommendations, including why you like such-and-such a campground.

Oh, and ideally, we'd like to drive no further than 3 hours in any direction from TO.

Deb, check out Flowerpot Island near Tobermory.

http://www.tobermory.org/flowerpot.html

http://www.htmlhelp.com/~liam/Ontario/FathomFive/Flowerpot/

There are glass-bottom boat tours that you can take to look at old shipwrecks. There are only 6 campsites on the island and may be hard to get this time of year (as far as I know they still don't take reservations). However, I camped on Cyprus Lake last year and that was just fine. It'll most likely be a little busy this time of year, but the area is beautiful. There are lots of hiking trails, beaches, lighthouses and photo ops. ;) I stayed at Cyprus before in September. It was completely empty (but rained the whole time). :(

You guys are always welcome to camp in my forest too. :P

I would definitely say Killbear Provincial Park! My heart is there...it is one of the best parks in my opinion. If you do go, try to get a campsite in the Beaver Dams area. The beach in that section is great and then you can hike along the shore (of rocks and beach) to Harold's Point for an amazing sunset. The sunsets there are specatcular. There are some pretty good hiking trails as well (just ask at the front desk for where to go)

Personally, I like to go in early september to killbear, simply because in the summer it is a very busy park. I like it when there are more sites to choose from, less people and definitely less skeeters. It is still warm then too.

Happy Campin'!!!

I agree & echo Kaidy Mae's suggestion.I used to spend almost every weekend in Tobermory,my ex's grandparents live right on Lake Huron,just off Warner Bay road (just past the airport).Flowerpot Island is amazing,but you would probally be hard pressed to find a opening when you want to go if its a weekend,still worth a shot.Fathom Five marine park & Cyprus lake are awesome also,great swimming,great trails for hiking around the lake or to places like the sinkholes at Horse Lake,Marr Lake & rock beach right to the Grotto.You can also get a great day tour of Bear's rump island,which has some of the most unique to that island fauna & flora.

Also across the highway,just south a bit from Cyprus (5min drive) you can check out Singing Sands Provincial park (no camping),amazing stretches of sand beaches maybe a half km out from shore with very cool hiking trails,some of which are more like wooden side-walks that wind through the marsh & bird sanctionary.Well worth a visit in my opinion.Not to mention its only about 2 1/2 - 3 hours away...Damn,I miss heading up there..

Deb, we are going to kidnap you and the family and take you to Awenda. Just NE of Barrie. We went last summer and it's just about one of the nicest campgrounds I've been to in years. Check out the site here and also here.

We got there last year on a long weekend without booking in advance got the last spot beside the bathroom which turned out to be 200 meters away with full on showers and flush toilets. We drove all around the place one afternoon and all the sites are big and seperated by a beautiful hardwood forest, you'd be hard pressed to find a site that you won't like. We went on a short hike to see 10000 years old sand-dunes. 5 beaches on the land. Just amazing!

I haven't found a site specifically for Cyprus Lake but there is info at this link...Bruce Peninsula National Park of Canada

Cyprus Lake Campground, located in Bruce Peninsula National Park offers semi-wilderness camping with flush toilets and cold water taps. The spectacular Georgian Bay shoreline is within a short walk and highlights are the "Bermuda" waters of Indian Head Cove, Halfway Rock Point, and the mystical pool at the Grotto.

**Group & Backcountry reservations contact campround office 519-596-2263 starting May 2nd.

**All firewood must be purchased from the area - no wood can be imported from outside the area.

**3 shelters allowed per campsite - only 1 trailer is permitted along with 2 tents).

**Max.number of People per site is 6.

**Campsite fee includes parking for 1 car/site. All other vehicles must purchase a permit & park in additional vehicle lot.

**Additional permits must be purchased at campground office to park at Head of Trails & Half Way Log Dump.

**To remain in the park after 11 am on departure day a Day Use Permit must be purchased at campground office.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/on/bruce/visit/tarifs_fees_E.asp?park=130

[ecit to add]

This also has some good info..

http://www.tobermory.org/

Edited by Guest

Wow -- thanks y'all.

took awhile for this thread to get going, but y'all came through in the end.

Looks like we'll definitely head to Tobermory & Flowerpot Island (we're lucky that in summers we can take off mid-week, so that should help get us a site, I'm thinking)

and Snail -- very much looking forward to a mutli-family-camping-adventure at Awenda. Let's plan it soon, soon, soon (as in now).

any other skank-families want to join us? With our two families, we've got 3 guitars, 3 voices, a little percussion....looking for drums, harp, accordian......or even just good campfire storytellers!! as plans firm up, I'll post dates and re-issue the invitation!

...any other skank-families want to join us? With our two families, we've got 3 guitars, 3 voices, a little percussion....looking for drums, harp, accordian......or even just good campfire storytellers!! as plans firm up, I'll post dates and re-issue the invitation!

I have close friends that have a kind of 'family invitational' at Awenda every year. I'm pretty sure they have a 24-hour no music/noise policy and strictly enforce it.

From the website...

Awenda is proud to offer radio free campgrounds. Bear, Snake, and Deer campgrounds are designated as radio free zones. No radios or loud music of any kind are permitted in these grounds to allow campers the opportunity to enjoy the quiet of the park uninterrupted. Three other campgrounds do not have this restriction and thus provide a happy balance for any kind of camper.

I think as long as we stick to the "Turtle" or "Hawk" campgrounds we should be okay. I'll call tonight to double check. :)

As far as no music at Awenda. They actually have 6 campgrounds in the same park. 3 of the 6 are designated as "radio-free". It would appear that the other 3 allow music. They also have a group camping area that allows 20-40 people on the same site and has it's own washroom, water etc(I didn't see that area last year but it could be an option)