Jambands.ca

CODETALKERS - HAMPTON, HERRING, RODGERS - FRI AUG 5

briguy

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The nonpareil blues, country and bluegrass-fusion brilliance of the Codetalkers can be traced to its legendary featured player, the ursine, craggy-voiced guitarist and "godfather of Southern alternative music," Col. Bruce Hampton.

The Colonel's inspired, genre-hopping "out there" songs, as much in the Zappa and Beefheart tradition as well as every blues great imaginable, are dwarfed only by his intense, multi-instrumental dexterity, and as former leader of the Hampton Grease Band, the seminal jamband Aquarium Rescue Unit and the spaced-out Fiji Mariners, the Codetalkers quartet, which he formed in 1999, is certainly his most accessible and probably his most note-for-note enjoyable ensemble yet."

hampton_adam_gulledge.jpg

D,%20B,%20&%20S%201.JPG

(with Derek Trucks and Susan)

Edited by Guest

so is anyoneopening or just the codetalkers?

me and mel will be there friday night regardless if lazlo is opening with a fart symphony

Trust me. If I thought for one second that briguy or kc would let me lay down some plastic and fart O Canada on stage for the masses it would have been done by now. However I could always provide a private show for you and Mel. Besides, it's not looking like I'm going to make the show anyway.

not the last I heard, if it sells out I figure it'll happen the night of (though I'm just guessing and really don't know)

might as well grab an advance and save yourself $5 either way... there's an open mic at the bar tonight, I'm heading down in a bit... figure they're open until midnight... yar

A nice article, Shain!

I have one Codetalkers cd (called "The Codetalkers with Col. Bruce Hampton") and on it most of the song writing credits go to Bobby Lee Rodgers. Some catchy songs, that's for sure.

The Smilefest show that I mentioned above has some great guitar playing on it ... I'm looking forward to a big blast of "southern fried goodness."

This band kicks ass!

Peace, Mark