Jambands.ca

New media technology - "Roadcasting"

hamilton

From the The Toronto Star

You're stuck in rush-hour traffic, searching the dial for something to listen to. There's too much Rush on the rock station, too much petunia-talk on the CBC, and too much Celine everywhere else. So you find some jazz on a college station. When the migraine kicks in, you succumb to silence.

Someone in this sea of vehicles must have some good tunes, you think, feeling a twinge of impatience for the satellite stations that the CRTC approved last week to actually start broadcasting. If only you could hear what the dude in the tricked-out Sirocco is listening to. Or that tattoo-sleeved redhead in the Country Squire.

Soon there could be a way to do just that. A team of students at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh has developed technology that could turn any vehicle into an independent, free-roaming broadcasting station.

With Roadcasting, as the prototype is called, a driver could scan and access playlists from other vehicles within a 50-kilometre range, and share his or her own audio files with the same network.

Read the full story here .

I'm thinking of creating a "special" CD for people who do obnoxious things in traffic. As soon as roadcasting becomes the norm, I can make motions from my window to encourage people to tune in and hear what I have to say...

This ought to be much more effective than my current use of my finger to that end.