Jambands.ca

songs that make you cry

dJEd

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Rainbow Connection - Kermit The Frog

Oh man, I'm with ya there. Mike Lerner (Toronto pianist) played that solo on the keys at a Doctors Without Borders benefit at Clinton's a few years back. It was amazing. The whole room fell silent. Tears were streaming down his face by the end of it. There weren't a whole lot of dry eyes after that little ditty.

Almost any of Cat Stevens' music can do it, especially Father and Son.

Most of Nick Drake's Pink Moon/Elliot Smith's XO is gut-wrenching when you're thinking about him dying too young. Ripple is a good one too, and I could probably bawl my face off listening to the Last Waltz on a hundred hits of acid.

Anyone remember the "Imagine" at the Bela show at Massey Hall? That was pretty heavy...

Oh my God CH! I just got goosebumps remembering that. I'd forgotten all about it. That was the night my van was broken into. Sadly that rotten affair seems to overshadow what an incredibly beautiful night of music that was. Ooooh, Bela was so on!

With no exaggeration' date=' I think "What A Wonderful World" may be the finest song ever written.

[/quote']

Right down to that last "ohhhhh yeahhhhhhhh...," which never failed to raise goosebumps for me.

Dave, have you heard the Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's Somewhere Over the Rainbow that segues into What A Wonderful World? I'll have to make you a copy. That ukulele is so perfectly matched with his vocals. It's amazing. We can listen to it on Friday! :D

Either version does it for me though. Louis's classic has really been able to get the waterworks going since it was used in Fahrenheit 9/11. :(

"Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's Somewhere Over the Rainbow that segues into What A Wonderful World"

I have that cd, it's great.

Quick question: Did you pull that spelling out of your head or did you do a search for it. Very impressive if you just pulled it out. Now, if I heard you pronounce it...

Hahaha! Actually I looked it up after I heard the song again the other day. It had been a while. I'm hooked all over again!

The name may look like a mouthful, but Hawaiian words and names are quite easy to pronounce. Just sound out every letter (they only have 11 or so in their entire alphabet). ;) Or I'd be most obliged to say it for you should I make it up on Canada Day. :o

Re: wonderful world- yes. it was pretty effective in 'good morning vietnam' too.

great thread!! I'm crying my fucking eyes out here, due however, to some particularly horrendous on-hold elevator music.

how about:

Roy Orbsion- Cryin

Billy Vera and the Beaters- What did you think

Sinead OConner- Nothing compares 2 u

Lennon- Jealous guy/Imagine, been said but ya