Jambands.ca

i-pod? vs. other?

dancingbear

I've got an iPod. No big complaints here. The interface is more intuitive than any other I've seen. It does what it's supposed to do. I don't have any big problem with listening to live music either. The 'gap' is about a fifth of a second if I can discern it at all. I'm also not confident that it's not the particular live recording that I'm listening to or that there's not a setting somewhere that would resolve it (I'm running mine in the absolute default configuration still).

You can buy a karma in canada. Definitely. I got mine off ebay, though I have a friend who got a refurb one from tigerdirect.ca:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1097027&sku=M975-3058

Also have another friend who got it from a retailer in toronto, new... I just can't remember where.

It is the ONLY player on the market with FLAC support. I would much rather listen to lossless audio than compressed mp3s, but its just personal preference. Team it up with a good pair of noise isolation headphones like etymotics ER6's or ER4's, and you're stylin...without being another one of those people with white headphones ;o)

I forgot to mention that the karma docking bay has an ethernet port, so you can hook it up to your router at home, it will assign it an IP address and you can get to it from any computer on the network.

ITs also got some nice RCA outs on the bay for convenient hookup to a stereo without having to use the 1/8" mini plug.

No..I don't work for the company, just love my karma ;o)

Team it up with a good pair of noise isolation headphones like etymotics ER6's or ER4's, and you're stylin...

headygouda, how do you think the ER6s would be when used to monitor shows as they're being recorded? I'm currently using the cheezy ones that came with my Nomad, and the quality is not great, aside from having to turn up the headphone level to a point where I can hear it over the bleed-in from the sound in the room.

http://www.etymotic.com/default.aspx

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest
Added URL.

The Creative Zen Touch player has 20 gigs, it's only 338 bucks at the future shop and you can swap out the harddrive for a bigger one if you want to. As well, the battery is removable and replaceable. These are great features that you don't get from the iPod.

10051957.jpg

The Creative Zen Touch player has 20 gigs, it's only 338 bucks at the future shop and you can swap out the harddrive for a bigger one if you want to. As well, the battery is removable and replaceable. These are great features that you don't get from the iPod.

[color:purple]Yea, because after I come home from working on computers all day long, I really want to have to dick around with a hard drive on my portable music player. That sounds great!

These are all great points though. For me however, I wanted it to be small, reliable, have a slick interface, and just do what it's supposed to do. I have not been let down by my iPod so far.

You can buy a karma in canada. Definitely. I got mine off ebay, though I have a friend who got a refurb one from tigerdirect.ca:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1097027&sku=M975-3058

Also have another friend who got it from a retailer in toronto, new... I just can't remember where.

Wow, that's awesome info. I've been wanting one of these for a while now. Do you know if there is a way to hook it up to a car stereo?? If so, that would seal the deal...

You can always get a little FM transmitter that plugs into the headphone jack, so you can play your music on any stereo, including your car - I got one for my ipod, it was $40 at radioshack. You might get some static though, especially if you get a cheapy one like mine :)

Brad - either of the etymotics would be great for monitoring. The key thing about them is noise isolation, this way you hear everything as it should be, without other frequencies being drowned out or masked, and you can hear all this detail at a normal volume. There is really nothing that makes them above and beyond other high end headphones, in terms of sonic performance, IMHO, the real difference is isolation, its all there and you can hear it, no need for performance enhancing!

Put it this way, at a normal volume on my karma, I can't really hear the subway EVER. I can sit at the back corner of the bus and not even realize the engine is under me... I have yet to put it to the test of planes or lawn mowers though ;o)

"just do what it's supposed to do."

OK. I am not trying to knock or bash the iPOD, but my big problem with it is - if it can't function the same as a normal portable CD player or tape player...ie. gapless playback, then its not really doing what its 'supposed to do'.

I really don't understand why gapless playback is so difficult for apple to implement. FWIW - there has been a petition for years asking apple to add this simple, yet fundamental, feature to the iPOD.

Do you know if there is a way to hook it up to a car stereo?? If so, that would seal the deal...

I use the old portable cd player connection that goes into your tape deck and has an 1/8" stereo connector that you plug into your player. Works great without the static.