Dr. J

JAMES McKENTY & The SPADES

@ The Pour House

62 William St. (in the market)

Friday, Jun.24 & Saturday, Jun.25

10:00 pm.

No cover charge.

Hope some folks can make it out.

Always great to see some familiar faces ...and meet some new ones.

The rock will be hot.

Last time I saw these guys they were on fire,

The-Spades-in-flames.jpg

but don't take my word for it.

The sound can vary. Some people saw The John Henrys there one night, and said the sound was excellent. I saw The Spades there one night and the sound was brutal.

Also, as a music venue, it's not the best. It's too narrow, and the way the stage is set up, the soundboard is at the back corner, so if you're manning the board, you can't hear what it sounds like out front, and if you want to get out front, you have to walk through the band.

They also need more restroom facilities: one toilet per gender is not enough.

Aloha,

Brad

It's too loud in there if you're up close, and too much crowd noise in the back... Definitely too narrow and I agree with the bad position of the soundboard... I'd love to see The Spades try to find a different venue to play at (Maverick's?)...

Also, as a music venue, it's not the best. It's too narrow, and the way the stage is set up, the soundboard is at the back corner, so if you're manning the board, you can't hear what it sounds like out front, and if you want to get out front, you have to walk through the band.

They also need more restroom facilities: one toilet per gender is not enough.

Aloha,

Brad

I agree. I've been there when the sound was poor and I've been there when the sound was OK. What doesn't change is the narrow lay-out and lack of washroom facilities. It may simply be that these guys have outgrown this venue.

i won't be there this weekend - i'm in BC visiting family and chillaxin in general ;):)

irenes is nicer than the moho - no nasty flourescent lights, huge stage, good sound (although i've only been to a show there once), a generally great vibe. the staff are awesome. (so are the veggie burgers,... yummm :P )

i think it'd be a great venue for them. i've never been to the pourhouse, so i can't give a comparison as far as size... it's also in the glebe, so not as central, but i think they'd appeal to the regulars there.

Del, have you noticed that The Rainbow has an upstairs?

The problem with The Spades in Ottawa is that they want a guarantee, and they get it from the Pour House. I don't think they realise they'd do okay on a door deal in Ottawa, but then I don't know what The Pour House is paying them.

Good call on Irene's.