Jambands.ca

What are you listening to right now?

PassedOutGuy

I've recorded Bruce Peninsula several (six?) times, and after discussing things with the band (who love the fact that the recordings have been made, but feel a bit overwhelmed at having to go through them to find the best bits), I offered to put together a live version of their studio CD: for each of the tracks on their most recent release, I'm going through all the live versions of the track that I have, to find the best-sounding and -played versions.

Right now, I'm listening to the 2nd of 6 versions of "Shanty Song". At the very least, this should help me get better at recognizing BP song titles...

Aloha,

Brad

Here's the FULL album :) Gotta love Buddy

http://bit.ly/dlkJv6

front.jpg

Buddy Guy – Living Proof

This triumphant album opens with the song “74 Years Young.†The song begins quietly as Buddy looks back at his life. But when he hits the bridge he lays down a savage guitar solo that: a) owes as much to Link Wray as it does to the blues and B) displays what 74 years young really means. This song is followed by another autobiographical song where he tells the story of his early life in Louisiana where, as a child, he taught himself to play a two-string guitar. Again, a blistering lead is the musical centerpiece. Track three, “On The Road†is a more “conventional†blues work-up, horns and all. Another fantastic track, where, after the fade at the end, one can hear a band-member saying “Yeah†in appreciation. Track four is the duet with B.B. King. It’s pure magic. And the coda, where Buddy and B.B. speak to one another, is just about as moving a moment as one can find in recorded music. In the duet with Carlos Santana, Buddy shows he can do Latin rhythms side-by-side with the master. And so it goes for an hour or so, one great track after another.

Frankly, I can find possibly only one track, “Too Soon†that might be just a tad too tame or formulaic. But this is followed by the terrific final fours songs on the album, which include “Let The Door Hit Ya†and “Guess What†(both with Buddy in full sexual swagger). So one possibly formulaic song in an hour’s worth of new music is a something I will take any day of the week.

An argument could be mounted that this is Buddy’s career defining album. At 74, his skills are still intact and he remains a consummate songwriter, with something new to offer, both in his lyrics and certainly in his music. It is kind of a wonder that people like Buddy, and the lesser know and somewhat older Hubert Sumlin, can still excite you with high level performances.

The production, at least on the vinyl pressing, is outstanding. I don’t know if, or how much, compression will appear on the CD, but this is an album that was clearly recorded pretty much live in the studio, with probably few, if any, overdubs; so the sound is organic and real. Consequently, it benefits from being heard in the analog domain of vinyl. Plus, the vinyl may end up being some sort of collector’s item as all the music appears on the first three sides leaving the fourth side blank so it can be devoted to a really cool etching in the vinyl of a portion of the guitar on the back of the LP cover. My only complaint about the vinyl release is there are no liner notes to show songwriting credits, song personnel, etc. But, at this price, for a double LP which is a very quiet pressing, this is a very small complaint.

The pre-release rumors here in Chicago were: “You got to hear this one when it comes out.†Boy, were the rumors right! - James N. Perlman

mp3@320CBR

Track List

01. 74 Years Young

02. Thank Me Someday

03. On The Road

04. Stay Around A Little Longer (feat. B.B.King)

05. Key Don’t Fit

06. Living Proof

07. Where The Blues Begins (feat. Carlos Santana

08. Too Soon

09. Everybody’s Got To Go

10. Let The Door Knob Hit Ya

11. Guess What

12. Skanky

B.B. King & Buddy Guy video: http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid89761511001?bctid=638062837001

http://bit.ly/dlkJv6

http://bit.ly/cQ2CRM

folder31.jpg

The Who – My Generation (Deluxe Edition)

As many Who fans know, disputes between the Who and producer Shel Talmy held back the release of a CD version of My Generation taken from the best available original sources for quite some time. Eventually the dispute was resolved, and 2002 saw the release of the deluxe edition of this classic album, expanded into a two-CD work with the addition of no less than 17 extra tracks. So is it time to celebrate and finally throw away that scratchy old My Generation LP, whichever version of that you have? Unfortunately, not quite. Pluses first: the sound, remixed in stereo by Talmy, is very good indeed, very clear and punchy without sacrificing the enormous power the band brought to the sessions, sometimes revealing parts with a clarity never before heard. This also, finally, adds some seminal non-LP tracks also recorded in 1965 (most notably their debut single, “I Can’t Explainâ€), as well as a bunch of R&B cover outtakes that previously surfaced on the 1980s comps Who’s Missing and Two’s Missing. There are also slightly longer versions of a few tracks; an instrumental track for “My Generation†and an “a cappella version†of “Anytime You Want Meâ€; and one genuine previously unheard song, “Instant Party Mixture,†a weird and not good takeoff on Dion’s “Runaround Sue†that was recorded in early 1966 as a possible B-side. So what’s to carp about? Well, some overdubs used in the original version of the LP have been lost, and their loss is not just something that audiophiles or unhealthily completist record collectors will notice. Specifically, on “My Generation,†Pete Townshend’s guitar is virtually missing from the instrumental break, and the group’s backup vocals at the song’s climax are likewise mostly missing. Other little omissions crop up too, and though this compilation makes up for that a bit with “monaural versions with guitar overdubs†of “My Generation†and “A Legal Matter,†it’s no small loss. Also, unbelievably, although “Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere†is here (and misspelled on the cover), it’s an alternate version with different vocals from a French EP. It’s fine to include that, but the classic single version itself, a tremendously exciting and important record, isn’t present at all, and no one could reasonably claim there shouldn’t have been room for both. Too, the version of “Leaving Here†is an alternate, and while that’s fine to have as a marginally interesting addition, the version that first showed up on Who’s Missing is, um, missing. These shortcomings are not unimportant. If a group and label are going to bill something as the ultimate package of a classic album plus bonus tracks, it should have everything you want to hear. This deluxe edition doesn’t. This doesn’t, of course, mean that it doesn’t contain much great music, particularly the My Generation album itself, a tour de force of British mod music maturing from R&B rave-ups into melodic power pop with riveting instrumental and lyrical hooks. It is also good to hear the nice early R&B cover B-sides “Daddy Rolling Stone†and “Anytime You Want Me,†and while the R&B-oriented outtakes of Motown songs like “(Love Is Like A) Heat Wave†aren’t so good, as historical documentation they’re important. The sessions are also documented nicely in a booklet of liner notes. But no doubt you’ll have to wait for the SACD or DVD or some such configuration to correct some of these flaws and separate you from more of your hard-earned cash. ~ Richie Unterberger, Rovi

mp3@320CBR and 256

Track List

01 – Out In The Street

02 – I Don’t Mind

03 – The Good’s Gone

04 – La-La-La-Lies

05 – Much Too Much

06 – My Generation

07 – The Kids Are Alright

08 – Please Please Please

09 – It’s Not True

10 – The Ox

11 – A Legal Matter

12 – Circles (Instant Party)

13 – I’m A Man

14 – A Legal Matter (Remastered)

15 – The Ox (Remastered)

16 – Circles (Instant Party) (Remastered)

17 – I Can’t Explain

18 – Bald Headed Woman

19 – Daddy Rolling Stone

20 – Leaving Here

21 – Lubie (Come Back Home)

22 – Shout And Shimmy

23 – (Love Is Like A) Heat Wave

24 – Motoring

25 – Anytime You Want Me

26 – Anyway Anyhow Anywhere (Alternate Take)

27 – Instant Party Mixture

28 – I Don’t Mind

29 – The Good’s Gone

30 – My Generation (Instrumental)

31 – Anytime You Want Me (A Capella)

32 – A Legal Matter (Monaural)

32 – My Generation (Monaural)

http://bit.ly/cQ2CRM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uFcPjILC7k

s49f.jpg

Songs That Made Him Famous

To Ramona

Gates Of Eden

If You Gotta Go Go Now

It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)

Love Minus Zero/No Limit

Mr Tambourine Man

Don't Think Twice

With God On Our Side

She Belongs To Me

It Ain't Me Babe

Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll

All I Really Want To Do

It's All Over Now, Baby Blue

Billy Faier:

Baby Let Me Follow You Down *

Talkin' John Birch Paranoid Blues

Death Of Emmett Till

Make Me A Pallet On Your Floor (Trad)

Skip Weshner:

Tomorrow Is A Long Time

Masters Of War

Bob Dylan's Blues

* Written by Eric von Schmidt

source:

Civic Auditorium, Santa Monica, CA March 27, 1965

Billy Faier show WBAI radio, NYC Oct. 1962

Skip Weshner show WBAI radio, NYC Feb.1963

g37f.jpg

Complete Rolling Thunder rehearsals

Disc one

You Ain't Going Nowhere

Oh Sister

Oh Sister

Sara

Mozambique

Just Like A Woman

Just Like A Woman (multiple endings)

When I Paint My Masterpiece

Maggie's Farm

Maggie's Farm

One Too Many Mornings

One Too Many Mornings

Romance In Durango

Isis (2 false starts)

Isis

Positively 4th Street

Oh Sister

Oh Sister

One More Cup Of Coffee

Sara

Just Like A Woman

Hurricane

Disc two

Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

The Sun Is Shining(Elmore James)

Lay Lady Lay

One More Cup Of Coffee restarts

It Takes A Lot To Laugh

Ballad Of Hollis Brown

Hold Me In Your Arms (Traditional)

Mozambique

Idiot Wind

One More Cup Of Coffee

Shelter From The Storm

Isis (Rita Mae)

Rita Mae

I Threw It All Away

Disc three

I Threw It All Away

Going Going Gone

Going Going Gone (portion)

Going Going Gone

One More Cup Of Coffee

One More Cup Of Coffee

Tomorrow Is A Long Time

Mozambique

Mozambique

Mozambique (portion)

Lay Lady Lay

Idiot Wind

I'll Be Your Baby Tonight

I'll Be Your Baby Tonight(multiple endings)

Maggie's Farm

One Too Many Mornings

Seven Days

Going Going Gone

Disc four

Lay Lady Lay

Spanish Is The Loving Tongue/Adelita

Idiot Wind

I'll Be Your Baby Tonight

Where Did Vincent Van Gogh?

I Pity The Poor Immigrant

Blowin' In The Wind

I Pity The Poor Immigrant

Blowin' In The Wind

Stuck Inside Of Mobile

Stuck Inside Of Mobile

Sara (portion)

It Takes A Lot To Laugh...

You Angel You

You Angel You (instrumental)

Stuck Inside Of Mobile

Seven Days

Just Like A Woman

Just Like A Woman

Tangled Up In Blue

Tangled Up In Blue

One More Cup Of Coffee (acoustic)

Most Likely You Go Your Way

Disc 1:

Rehearsals for "The night of the hurricane 2" Studio instrument rental, LA, CA. Jan 22 & 23, 1976

Disc 2:

Bellevue hotel, Clearwater, FL. April 15th 1976

"The Trio Tape" (Stoner-Wyeth-Rivera)

Disc 3:

Dress rehearsals with full Rolling Thunder revue for 1976 tour. Bellevue hotel, Clearwater, FL April 17th 1976

Disc 4:

1-Studio instrument rental, LA Jan. 23 1976

2 & 3 Shagri- La studios with E Clapton, R Wood 3/30/76

4 - 11 : Bellevue hotel, Clearwater, FL April 1976

12-17 Rehearsals with full Rolling Thunder Revue. Bellevue hotel, Clearwater, FL April 17th 1976

18 Special Rider demo Clearwater, FL April 17th 1976

19-22 Recorded for "Hard Rain" Fort Collins May '76

23-24 TV Special recording from Clearwater, April '76