Jambands.ca

What are you listening to right now?

PassedOutGuy

http://bit.ly/aeri36

folder.jpg

Bruce Springsteen – The Promise

“‘Darkness’ was my ‘samurai’ record,†Springsteen writes, “stripped to the frame and ready to rumble…But the music that got left behind was substantial.†For the first time, fans will have access to two discs containing a total of 21 previously-unreleased songs from the ‘Darkness’ recording sessions, songs that, as Springsteen writes, “perhaps could have/should have been released after ‘Born To Run’ and before the collection of songs that ‘Darkness on the Edge of Town’ became.â€

Highlights include the extraordinary rock version of “Racing in the Street,†the never-before-released original recordings of “Because the Night,†“Fire,†and “Rendezvous,†the supreme pop opus “Someday (We’ll Be Together),†the hilarious “Ain’t Good Enough for You,†the superb soul-based vocal performance on “The Brokenhearted,†the utterly haunting “Breakaway,†and the fully orchestrated masterpiece and title song “The Promise.†All 21 songs have been mixed by Springsteen’s long-time collaborator Bob Clearmountain. According to long-time manager/producer Jon Landau, “There isn’t a weak card in this deck. ‘The Promise’ is simply a great listening experience.â€

mp3@320CBR

Track List

CD1

01. Racing In The Street (’78)

02. Gotta Get That Feeling

03. Outside Looking In

04. Someday (We’ll Be Together)

05. One Way Street

06. Because The Night

07. Wrong Side Of The Street

08. The Brokenhearted

09. Rendezvous

10. Candy’s Boy

CD2

01. Save My Love

02. Ain’t Good Enough For You

03. Fire

04. Spanish Eyes

05. It’s A Shame

06. Come On (Let’s Go Tonight)

07. Talk To Me

08. The Little Things (My Baby Does)

09. Breakaway

10. The Promise

11. City Of Night

http://bit.ly/aeri36

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaSUCaq_UNo

http://bit.ly/at8xNL

folder1.jpg

Keith Richards – Vintage Vinos

As we discovered in the pages of his autobiography “Life,†Keith Richards is proud, justifiably so, of his great band. No, not that one. The X-Pensive Winos, the group he formed in 1987 when the Rolling Stones were on hiatus.

The band had an A-list lineup with Steve Jordan and Charlie Drayton sharing duties on drums and bass, Waddy Wachtel –- the American Keith Richards -– on guitar, Ivan Neville on keys and the Stones’s frequent collaborator Bobby Keyes on saxophone. Sarah Dash, one-time member of Labelle, shared lead vocals with Richards, who played guitar and fronted the band.

Richards’ three albums on which the X-pensive Winos appear are now out of print, but some of their best tracks will be reissued November 2 on “Vintage Vinos,†a compilation that also features their live versions of “Happy,†which Richards first sang for the Stones on their “Exile on Main Street†album, and “Connection,†a vocal he shared with Mick Jagger on “Between the Buttons.†Dash sings “Time is on My Side,†the Irma Thomas hit that the Stones covered in ’64, resulting in their first Top 10 single in the States. On most tracks, Jordan and Drayton’s drums sound like cannon fire and, to borrow a phrase Richards copped from Ronnie Wood, Wachtel and Richard engage in “the ancient art of weaving†– playing slinky guitar lines that snake around each other.

At the time of its release, Richards’s solo debut, “Talk is Cheap,†was dubbed by some critics, as if to mock Jagger, the best Stones album in decades. That might be a bit harsh, but several of its tunes that appear on “Vintage Vinos†out-Stones the post-Exile Stones. Funk’s Bootsy Collins, Maceo Parker and Bernie Worrell sat in on “Talk is Cheap,†Al Green’s producer, the late Willie Mitchell, supervised the horns, and Patti Scialfa, before she married Bruce Springsteen, sang backup.

When we spoke earlier this week, Richards said he’d be interested in reconvening the X-Pensive Winos, but it’s a matter of logistics. “Everybody’s got disparate careers,†he told me. Jordan backed John Mayer on his last tour and Charley Drayton is working with the Divinyls. (A parenthetical aside: Years ago, Jordan and Drayton backed Neil Young on his performance on “Saturday Night Live†of “Rockin’ in the Free World†in one of the best musical moments in the show’s lengthy history.) The son of Aaron Neville, Ivan Neville leads Dumpstaphunk, while Wachtel, who ran Stevie Nicks’s band, gigs around Los Angeles where he does a weekly show at the Joint.

He and Neville appear on the new Ronnie Wood album, “I Feel Like Playing.â€

As for Richards, he’s amid a book tour that makes him seem ubiquitous. You imagine him picking up his guitar just to take a break from talking about “Life,†how it came to be and what it all means. With “Vintage Vinos,†he offers another way to connect with what makes him so special. - Jim Fusilli

mp3@320CBR

Track List

1. Take It So Hard

2. Big Enough

3. You Don’t Move Me

4. Struggle

5. Make No Mistake

6. Too Rude (live)

7. Time Is On My Side (live)

8. Happy (live)

9. Connection (live)

10. Wicked As It Seems

11. Eileen

12. Hate It When You Leave

13. Locked Away

14. Hurricane

15. Run Rudolph Run

folder1.jpg

Keith Richards – Vintage Vinos

As we discovered in the pages of his autobiography “Life,†Keith Richards is proud, justifiably so, of his great band. No, not that one. The X-Pensive Winos, the group he formed in 1987 when the Rolling Stones were on hiatus.

The band had an A-list lineup with Steve Jordan and Charlie Drayton sharing duties on drums and bass, Waddy Wachtel –- the American Keith Richards -– on guitar, Ivan Neville on keys and the Stones’s frequent collaborator Bobby Keyes on saxophone. Sarah Dash, one-time member of Labelle, shared lead vocals with Richards, who played guitar and fronted the band.

Richards’ three albums on which the X-pensive Winos appear are now out of print, but some of their best tracks will be reissued November 2 on “Vintage Vinos,†a compilation that also features their live versions of “Happy,†which Richards first sang for the Stones on their “Exile on Main Street†album, and “Connection,†a vocal he shared with Mick Jagger on “Between the Buttons.†Dash sings “Time is on My Side,†the Irma Thomas hit that the Stones covered in ’64, resulting in their first Top 10 single in the States. On most tracks, Jordan and Drayton’s drums sound like cannon fire and, to borrow a phrase Richards copped from Ronnie Wood, Wachtel and Richard engage in “the ancient art of weaving†– playing slinky guitar lines that snake around each other.

At the time of its release, Richards’s solo debut, “Talk is Cheap,†was dubbed by some critics, as if to mock Jagger, the best Stones album in decades. That might be a bit harsh, but several of its tunes that appear on “Vintage Vinos†out-Stones the post-Exile Stones. Funk’s Bootsy Collins, Maceo Parker and Bernie Worrell sat in on “Talk is Cheap,†Al Green’s producer, the late Willie Mitchell, supervised the horns, and Patti Scialfa, before she married Bruce Springsteen, sang backup.

When we spoke earlier this week, Richards said he’d be interested in reconvening the X-Pensive Winos, but it’s a matter of logistics. “Everybody’s got disparate careers,†he told me. Jordan backed John Mayer on his last tour and Charley Drayton is working with the Divinyls. (A parenthetical aside: Years ago, Jordan and Drayton backed Neil Young on his performance on “Saturday Night Live†of “Rockin’ in the Free World†in one of the best musical moments in the show’s lengthy history.) The son of Aaron Neville, Ivan Neville leads Dumpstaphunk, while Wachtel, who ran Stevie Nicks’s band, gigs around Los Angeles where he does a weekly show at the Joint.

He and Neville appear on the new Ronnie Wood album, “I Feel Like Playing.â€

As for Richards, he’s amid a book tour that makes him seem ubiquitous. You imagine him picking up his guitar just to take a break from talking about “Life,†how it came to be and what it all means. With “Vintage Vinos,†he offers another way to connect with what makes him so special. - Jim Fusilli

mp3@320CBR

Track List

1. Take It So Hard

2. Big Enough

3. You Don’t Move Me

4. Struggle

5. Make No Mistake

6. Too Rude (live)

7. Time Is On My Side (live)

8. Happy (live)

9. Connection (live)

10. Wicked As It Seems

11. Eileen

12. Hate It When You Leave

13. Locked Away

14. Hurricane

15. Run Rudolph Run

Thanks so much for the link!

Gov't Mule 10/30/10 Fox Theatre, Oakland, CA

Set I: The Who's "Who's Next" Album: Baba O'Riley, Bargain, Love Ain't For Keeping, My Wife, The Song Is Over, Getting in Tune, Going Mobile, Behind Blue Eyes, Won't Get Fooled Again

Set 2: Steppin' Lightly, Broke Down On The Brazos, No Need To Suffer, Painted Silver Light Trane > Eternity's Breath > St. Stephen Jam > When Doves Cry > Beautifully Broken > When Doves Cry > Beautifully Broken > Trane > with 3rd Stone From The Sun Tease, Noisy Jam > Drums > Any Open Window, Railroad Boy > Thorazine Shuffle

Encore: Going Out West

MP3@320

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ghi2mf

http://www.sendspace.com/file/qdva9l

Gov%27t%2520Mule%2520-%2520Boston%25202008%2520front.jpg

Gov't Mule

Orpheum Theater

Boston, MA

Set 1: Brighter Days, Bad Little Doggie, Brand New Angel, Game Face > Mountain Jam > Game Face, Trane > 3rd Stone Jam > Eternity’s Breath Jam > St. Stephen Jam > Monkey Hill, Child Of The Earth, Kind Of Bird

Set 2: One of These Days* > Fearless* > Pigs On the Wing Pt. 2* > Shine On You Crazy Diamond*$& > Have a Cigar*&^ > Speak to Me* > Breathe$* > On the Run* > Time* > The Great Gig In the Sky$* > Money*$& > Comfortably Numb$* > Shine On You Crazy Diamond*$& > Wish You Were Here

Encore: A Million Miles From Yesterday$, Blind Man In The Dark&

^ – Matt Abts on Lead Vocals

* – 1st Time Played

$ – with Machan Taylor, Sophia Ramos & Durga McBroom Hudson

& – with Ron Holloway

mp3@320

http://www.sendspace.com/file/6b9u8s

http://www.sendspace.com/file/hx9bqi

http://bit.ly/cjTIYo

folder2.jpg

Paul McCartney and Wings – Band On The Run (remastered)

Sometimes, music fans have to ask themselves some very serious questions, things like “Do you really need another copy of this album?†If you’re a Paul McCartney fan and the record is the Wings’ classic Band on the Run, then the answer is probably, “Yes. Yes you do.â€

One of the things that is often mentioned as key to Band on the Run‘s success is the duress under which it was created. Still in legal battle over the dissolution of Apple, and coming off of disappointing reviews of his post-Beatles work, McCartney was looking to get away and record his next album with Wings in an exotic location. He chose studios in Lagos, Nigeria. Practically on the eve of departure for Africa, Wings’ lead guitarist Henry McCullough and drummer Denny Seiwell quit the band. This left McCartney, his wife Linda and Denny Laine. The three, along with engineer Geoff Emerick, arrived in Lagos in August. Unprepared for the appalling studio conditions, not to mention the heat, the trio nevertheless persevered. They even endured a mugging at knife point in which the thieves stole the demo tapes, thereby forcing the band to record the entire album from memory. This probably contributes greatly to the spontaneous, energetic feeling that pervades the album. Despite the hardships of its recording process, Band on the Run went on to become a commercial and critical triumph It was number one on the US album chart three separate times, won a Grammy and sold more than 7 million copies worldwide.

The 2010 Band on the Run reissue is the first release in the Paul McCartney Archive Collection, and the remastered sound is superb. The sound on the previous, 25th Anniversary, remaster was pretty good, but this is noticeably superior. McCartney personally supervised the process, working with the same team who did the recent remastering of the Beatles’ catalog at Abbey Road. Not being a technical expert, I can’t give you the science behind it, but I can say that the sound is somehow deeper and rounder than on the 25th Anniversary Edition. Comparing the two side by side, there’s a slightly thin sound to some tracks on the previous discs, a sense of narrowness or confinement. There’s a greater depth to the Archive set, particularly to the bass lines, because this is McCartney, after all.

The Archive Collection’s Band on the Run Special Edition, which is the basis for this review, features two CDs and one DVD. The first disc is the remastered album with its original nine tracks (this is also available separately as the Standard Edition). Listeners may not be able to pinpoint any differences during the title track, but at some point during the irrepressible joy that is “Jetâ€, even non-audiophiles with recognize that this sounds bloody fantastic. All of the rockers sound great, but the softer tracks like “Bluebird†benefit, as well. There are several details and flourishes in the arrangements that I swear I’d never noticed before, but I won’t go quite so far as to say this is like hearing the album for the first time. However, it may be similar to finally hearing something on good equipment, that you’d always listened to on your old car stereo cassette player before.

The second disc contains nine bonus audio tracks, many of which are taken from the previously unreleased One Hand Clapping television special which featured studio performances recorded at Abbey Road in 1974, the standout being a mesmerizing take on “Let Me Roll Itâ€. Also included are newly remastered versions of the single “Helen Wheels†(which was on the US release of the album) and its B-side “Country Dreamerâ€, and “Zoo Gang†(the B-side to the UK single “Band on the Runâ€, also featured as a bonus track on the 1993 re-release of Venus and Mars ). - Christel Loar

mp3@320CBR

Track List

Original Album Remastered:

1. Band on the Run

2. Jet

3. Bluebird

4. Mrs Vandebilt

5. Let Me Roll It

6. Mamunia

7. No Words

8. Picasso’s Last Words (Drink to Me)

9. Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five