Jambands.ca

What are you listening to right now?

PassedOutGuy

Hopefully catching this band again in Toronto in a couple of weeks. Great time when I saw them last year :)

http://bit.ly/eLi4Uy

folder12.jpg

Grace Potter & the Nocturnals – Grace Potter & the Nocturnals

For five years, Grace Potter & Nocturnals have been hammering it out on stages large and small, playing 200 shows a year, and impressing audiences in the U.S. They’ve recorded two previous albums –2005′s rightfully acclaimed Nothing But the Water, and their Hollywood Records debut This Is Somewhere. The sophomore effort failed musically; its songs were unfocused and sloppy, and its production lethargic. Three years later, with two new bandmembers in bassist Catherine Popper and rhythm guitarist Benny Turco, and the aid of super producer Mark Batson (Jay-Z, Snoop Dog, Beyoncé, Alicia Keys), the Nocturnals sound like a band reinvigorated. This self-titled set is very polished — from cover photo to last note, it’s designed to scale the Billboard charts — yet it offers a representative showcase of the band’s strengths. And while it doesn’t come off as spontaneously as their live gigs, it’s not supposed to. The glammed-up Nocturnals are still a tough, few-frills rock band, and despite his pedigree, Batson — who co-wrote six of 13 songs with Potter here — gets that. “Paris†kicks off the set. It’s introduced by a mean grunt from Potter and a twin guitar blast. With Scott Tournett’s lead guitar slicing through Matt Burr’s drums, and Popper’s funky bassline, the singer — with power and pitch — lays down the brazen lyric: “If I was a man, I’d make my move/If I was a blade I’d shave you smooth . . . †On “Medicine,†another rocker, Potter stakes claim to her man though she’s competing with a mysterious seductress. The riff and refrain are instantly memorable. The dual guitar leads are balanced by her B-3, and the tune’s bluesy feel is seductive. “Hot Summer Night†is a nasty roots jam with Potter beating the hell out of an upright piano over trashy guitars and handclaps à la the Faces. The ballads are a more mixed bag. “Low Road,†influenced deeply by Memphis soul, puts Potter’s stellar voice and the meld of B-3, guitars, and rhythm section inside the bellybone of the listener, and it’s sexy as hell. That said, “Colors,†and “Things I Never Needed†are both overly long and indulgent; and the reggae-tinged “Tiny Lights†feels contrived. The midtempo numbers — the soul-drenched “That Phone†and the blazing “Only Love,†with its infectious bassline and distorted guitars — work to fine effect. In sum, this the most representative outing from Grace Potter & the Nocturnals to date, and displays, however slickly, a heady quotient of strut, crackle, and groove. – Thom Jurek/Allmusic

MP3@320CBR

Track List

01. Paris (Ooh La La)

02. Oasis

03. Medicine

04. Goodbye Kiss

05. Tiny Light

06. Colors

07. Only Love

08. Money

09. One Short Night

10. Low Road

11. That Phone

12. Hot Summer Night

13. Things I Never Needed

http://bit.ly/eLi4Uy

Check it out from 2:00 on:

#t=2m01s

http://bit.ly/f4vt87

frontbox1.jpg

Deep Purple – Deepest Purple: The Very Best Of (30th Anniversary Edition)

Deepest Purple: The Very Best of Deep Purple will perfectly satisfy anyone wanting to discover Deep Purple without shelling out for the comprehensive, four-CD box set Shades 1968-1998. Deepest Purple has it all: undisputed classics (“Highway Star,†“Child in Time,†“Space Truckin’,†“Woman From Tokyoâ€); prime samples of the David Coverdale-fronted Mark III lineup (“Burn,†“Stormbringerâ€); unreleased European singles (“Strange Kind of Woman,†“Demon’s Eye,†“Black Nightâ€); and, of course, the mother of all guitar riffs, “Smoke on the Water.†A perfect summary of the band’s ’70s heyday. – by Eduardo Rivadavia/Allmusic

MP3@320CBR

Track List

1. Black Night (Single Version) (2002 Digital Remaster)

2. Speed King (Edit) (2010 Digital Remaster)

3. Fireball (1996 Digital Remaster)

4. Hush (1998 Digital Remaster)

5. Strange Kind Of Woman (2002 Digital Remaster)

6. Child In Time (1995 Digital Remaster)

7. When A Blind Man Cries (1997 Remix)

8. Woman From Tokyo (2000 Digital Remaster)

9. Highway Star (1997 Digital Remaster)

10. Space Truckin’ (1997 Digital Remaster)

11. Burn (2004 Digital Remaster)

12. Stormbringer (2009 Digital Remaster)

13. Soldier Of Fortune (2009 Digital Remaster)

14. Demon’s Eye (1996 Digital Remaster)

15. You Keep On Moving (Single Edit) (2002 Digital Remaster)

16. Smoke On The Water (1997 Digital Remaster)

http://bit.ly/f4vt87

folderx0.jpg

THE COMPLETE BOOTLEG WOODSTOCK Vol.1

The complete unreleased material of what was preserved from Woodstock Festival 1969 on 12CD

Woodstock Project production.

Disc 1:

RICHIE HAVENS:

1. John Morris / Richie Havens intro

2. High Flyin' Bird

3. Unknown song

4. I Can't Make It Anymore

5. Strawberry Fields Forever / Hey Jude

6. With A Little Help From My Friends

SWEETWATER:

7. Motherless Child

8. Day Song

BERT SOMMER:

9. Jennifer

ARLO GUTHRIE:

10. Amazing Grace

QUILL:

11. John Morris intro/ They Live The Life

12. BBY

13. Waiting For You

14. Unknown song / Jam

COUNTRY JOE MACDONALD:

15. Chip Monck / Country Joe Maacdonald intro

16. Janis

17. Rockin' All Over The World

18. Flyin' High All Over The World

19. Seen A Rocket

SANTANA

20. Waiting

21. You Just Don't Care

Disc 2:

KEEF HARTLEY BAND:

1. Spanish Fly

INCREDIBLE STRING BAND:

2. Invocation

3. The Letter

4. The Moment

5. When You Find Out Who You Are / Chip Monck outro

MOUNTAIN:

6. Stormy Monday

7. Theme For An Imaginary Western

8. Long Red

9. For Yasgur's Farm

10. Beside The Sea

11. Waiting To Take You Away

12. Dreams Of Milk And Honey

13. Stage problems announcements

GRATEFUL DEAD:

All Tracks Sourced From Original Multitrack Master

14. Ken Babbs / Chip Monck intro / ST. Stephen

http://bit.ly/fPEGnN

folder13.jpg

Jeff Beck – Live and Exclusive from the Grammy Museum

Legendary guitarist Jeff Beck hit the ground running in 2010, kicking the year off by winning his fifth Grammy Award. Just weeks later, the multi-platinum-selling artist scored the highest Billboard debut of his 45-year career with the release of Emotion & Commotion. Riding high on that red-hot streak, Beck performed an exclusive show at the Grammy Museum on April 22, thrilling an intimate crowd of 200 with his mind-bending guitar heroics.

Jeff Beck is one of rock music’s most skilled guitarists. While his fellow guitarists in the Yardbirds went on to greater fame and fortune (Eric Clapton is the blues-guitar god and Jimmy Page, of course, was the Led Zeppelin master) Beck was the man who could never keep a great band together and who has walked away from the music business when it doesn’t serve his purposes. That said, he is a genius, and this intimate performance at the Grammy Museum is one of breath-taking intensity. His version of the Beatles’ “A Day In the Life†is a stunner. “Corpus Christi Carol†is beautifully lush on the outside, but Beck’s incredible phrasing makes all the difference. “Over the Rainbow†climaxes with tones that only Beck can carry. In many ways, he is the Chet Baker of guitar. His intense moodiness enhances everything he plays and turns every tune into a gripping last stand. “People Get Ready†holds onto the hope that Curtis Mayfield intended. Each tune here is available in both audio and video form.

Track List

1. Corpus Christi Carol (Live) (3:17)

2. Hammerhead (Live) (4:30)

3. Over The Rainbow (Live) (3:10)

4. Brush With The Blues (Live) (6:05)

5. A Day In The Life (Live) (4:57)

6. Nessun Dorma (Live) (3:14)

7. How High The Moon (Live) (2:05)

8. People Get Ready (Live) (4:48)

http://bit.ly/fPEGnN

Adam's House Cat - 12/1/06

Nuçi's Space - Athens, GA

Disc One:

01) Intro

02) Cemeteries

03) Cancelling Dates

04) Troubled Waters

05) 6 O'Clock Train

06) Buttholeville

07) Three On The Tree

08) Elvis Presley Stole My Car

09) Picture Of Elvis Cured My Cancer

10) Uncle Frank

11) Runaway Train

Disc Two:

01) Child Abuse

02) Love Really Sucks

03) One Of These Days

04) Long Time Ago

05) Women Without Whiskey

06) Lookout Mountain

07) E:) Airplane Screams

08) Tornadoes

09) Shut Up And Get On The Plane

[benefit for Sabina Hartley-Burke]

www.simplysabina.com

www.drivebytruckers.com

Patterson Hood - guitar, vocal

Mike Cooley - guitar, vocal

Brad Morgan - drums

http://www.archive.org/ahc2006-12-01

http://bit.ly/hV2IZo

folder14.jpg

Norah Jones – Featuring

In the wake of her 2002 blockbuster debut, Norah Jones became an in-demand duet partner, popping up on albums from all manners of musicians. The 2010 compilation, …Featuring, helpfully rounds up 18 of these guest appearances, including a cut by the Jones-fronted country cabaret outfit the Little Willies, and what impresses is the range of collaborators and the consistency of the music. Anybody who called Norah up for a duet was clearly smitten by her way with slow-burning seduction, as they almost without fail cast her in that role for their own recordings, smoothing out rough edges or adding some sultry sophistication. This would seem like a limited specialty, but Featuring proves it’s not. Jones sounds as comfortable trading verses with Willie Nelson and Ray Charles as she does acting as a counterpoint to Q-Tip and Outkast, providing alternating contrasts according to the setting; she freshens the veterans and provides a touch of timeless elegance to her modern rock peers. It may all be variations on a theme, but the sounds and songs change just enough for the music to be quietly absorbing. Better still, when these side shows are grouped together as a main attraction, they manage to sound of a piece. These may be songs that appeared on other artist’s albums, but when presented as a collection, they seem to belong only to Norah Jones. - by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

MP3@320CBR

Track List

1 – Love Me (The Little Willies)

2 – Virginia Moon (Foo Fighters)

3 – Turn Them (Sean Bones)

4 – Baby It’s Cold Outside (Willie Nelson)

5 – Bull Rider (Sasha Dobson)

6 – Ruler of My Heart (Dirty Dozen Brass Band)

7 – The Best Part (El Madmo)

8 – Take Off Your Cool (OutKast)

9 – Life Is Better (Q-Tip)

10 – Soon the New Day (Talib Kweli)

11 – Little Lou, Prophet Jack, Ugly John (Belle & Sebastian)

12 – Here We Go Again (Ray Charles)

13 – Loretta (Gillian Welch & David Rawlings)

14 – Dear John (Ryan Adams)

15 – Creepin’ In (Dolly Parton)

16 – Court & Spark (Herbie Hancock)

17 – More Than This (Charlie Hunter)

18 – Blue Bayou (M. Ward)

http://bit.ly/hV2IZo

http://bit.ly/hNst6R

folder.jpg

Elmore James – Blues After Hours

Blues After Hours, originally released on LP by Crown in 1960, was Elmore James’ first long-playing record. Made up of singles released on the Modern imprints Meteor and Flair, for many it was their first introduction to the fiery slide guitarist, and the crunchy garage sound of James’ arrangements (backed variously by the Broomdusters in Chicago, the Maxwell Davis Orchestra in Los Angeles, and the J&M Studio house band in New Orleans), coupled with his passionate edgy vocals, quickly made him one of the most influential blues artists of his time. Mastered from the original LP tapes and augmented with eight bonus tracks (which include three additional singles relevant to the LP and five tracks from the Chicago sessions), this expanded version of Blues After Hours has great sound, and the rough explosive nature of James’ music is front and center and never lets up from the second he steps into the famous slide riff on “Dust My Blues,†which opens the set. That roaring riff is repeated many times on this disc, since labels constantly demanded it, and James delivered it under a range of different titles, and amazingly, no one ever seems to get tired of it. But James was more than a one-trick pony, and he didn’t just play slide. He was also an impassioned singer, and gifted enough to trade lines (both vocally and on guitar) with horn sections, giving songs like “Dark and Dreary†the illusion of being both raw and smooth at the same time. Truthfully, James never recorded a lame track (even if dozens of them were variations on “Dust My Broomâ€), always pouring all his energy into the performance, so it really doesn’t matter which collection of his you pick up, but this one has the advantage of being a fleshed-out facsimile of his very first album (right down to the cover art), giving it a kind of historical and archival appeal. - by Steve Leggett

MP3@256

Track List

1. Dust My Blues

2. Sunnyland

3. Mean and Evil

4. Dark and Dreary

5. Standing at the Crossroads

6. Happy Home

7. No Love in My Heart

8. Blues Before Sunrise

9. I Was a Fool

10. Goodbye Baby

Bonus tracks:

11. Late Hours at Midnight

12. Quarter Past Nine

13. Strange Kinda Feeling (Take 1)

14. Make My Dreams Come True (Take 2)

15. So Mean to Me (Take 4)

16. Long Tall Woman

17. Wild About You (aka Wild About You Baby)

18. Elmo’s Shuffle (Take 5)

http://bit.ly/hNst6R

Elizabeth Cotten

Philadelphia Folk Festival,

Schwenksville, PA

August 23, 1986

Shoeps mics>Sony D5(m)>Onkyo TA-RW344 w\ azimuth correction>Cooledit Pro 2.0>.wav>CD Wave>flace (level 8)

***billydee masters collection, series2, vol 16***

1) >intro<

2) Georgie Buck

3) Run…Run

4) Praying Time

5) Pretty Flowers

6) Freight Train

-x-

Here’s another from the Philadelphia folk festival of 1986…

A true GEM here, as the 91 year old Elizabeth Cotten gives one of her last large concert appearances of her career.

She’s got some help singing, but her guitar picking is still spot on.

http://esau13.wordpress.com/2010/12/02/elizabeth-cotten-philadelphia-folk-festival-1986-flac/