Jambands.ca

What are you listening to right now?

PassedOutGuy

http://bit.ly/egXRSY

folder6.jpg

St. Germain – Tourist

Since the advent of acid jazz in the mid-’80s, the many electronic-jazz hybrids to come down the pipe have steadily grown more mature, closer to a balanced fusion that borrows the spontaneity and emphasis on group interaction of classic jazz while still emphasizing the groove and elastic sound of electronic music. For his second album, French producer Ludovic Navarre expanded the possibilities of his template for jazzy house by recruiting a sextet of musicians to solo over his earthy productions. The opener “Rose Rouge†is an immediate highlight, as an understated Marlena Shaw vocal sample (“I want you to get together/put your hands together one timeâ€), trance-state piano lines, and a ride-on-the-rhythm drum program frames solos by trumpeter Pascal Ohse and baritone Claudio de Qeiroz. For “Montego Bay Spleen,†Navarre pairs an angular guitar solo by Ernest Ranglin with a deep-groove dub track, complete with phased effects and echoey percussion. “Land Of…†moves from a Hammond- and horn-led soul-jazz stomp into Caribbean territory, marked by more hints of dub and the expressive Latin percussion of Carneiro. Occasionally, Navarre’s programming (sampled or otherwise) grows a bit repetitious — even for dance fans, to say nothing of the jazzbo crowd attracted by the album’s Blue Note tag. Though it is just another step on the way to a perfect blend of jazz and electronic, Tourist is an excellent one. – John Bush

mp3@320

Tracklist

1. “Rose Rouge†– 7:02

2. “Montego Bay Spleen†– 5:44

3. “So Flute†– 8:31

4. “Land Of…†– 7:52

5. “Latin Note†– 5:59

6. “Sure Thing†– 6:22

7. “Pont Des Arts†– 7:27

8. “La Goutte D’Or†– 6:18

9. “What You Think About…†– 4:47

Samples

* Marlena Shaw (excerpts from Live at Montreux used in ‘Rose Rouge’)

* Miles Davis & John Lee Hooker (Elements from ‘Harry’s Philosophy’, from The Hot Spot soundtrack, used in ‘Sure Thing’)

* 100% Pure Poison (Windy C provides the main sample for ‘Sure Thing’)

* Dave Brubeck’s ‘Take Five’ as the drum and bass loop for ‘Rose Rouge’.

* Scientist (excerpts from ‘First Dangerous Match,’ from ‘Scientist Wins the World Cup’, used in ‘Montego Bay Spleen.’)

http://bit.ly/egXRSY

http://bit.ly/dKiez6

folder7.jpg

Thelonious Monk – Brilliant Corners

Although Brilliant Corners is Thelonious Monk’s third disc for Riverside, it’s the first on the label to weigh in with such heavy original material. Enthusiasts who become jaded to the idiosyncratic nature of Monk’s playing or his practically arithmetical chord progressions should occasionally revisit Brilliant Corners. There is an inescapable freshness and vitality saturated into every measure of every song. The passage of time makes it all the more difficult to imagine any other musicians bearing the capacity to support Monk with such ironic precision. The assembled quartet for the lion’s share of the sessions included Max Roach (percussion), Sonny Rollins (tenor sax), Oscar Pettiford (bass), and Ernie Henry (alto sax). Although a compromise, the selection of Miles Davis’ bassist, Paul Chambers, and Clark Terry (trumpet) on “Bemsha Swing†reveals what might be considered an accident of ecstasy, as they provide a timeless balance between support and being able to further the cause musically. Likewise, Roach’s timpani interjections supply an off-balanced sonic surrealism while progressing the rhythm in and out of the holes provided by Monk’s jackrabbit leads. It’s easy to write Monk’s ferocity and Forrest Gump-esque ingenuity off as gimmick or quirkiness. What cannot be dismissed is Monk’s ability to translate emotions into the language of music, as in the freedom and abandon he allows through Sonny Rollins’ and Max Roach’s mesmerizing solos in “Brilliant Corners.†The childlike innocence evoked by Monk’s incorporation of the celeste during the achingly beautiful ode “Pannonica†raises the emotional bar several degrees. Perhaps more pointed, however, is the impassioned “I Surrender, Dear†— the only solo performance on the album. Brilliant Corners may well be considered the alpha and omega of post-World War II American jazz. No serious jazz collection should be without it. – Lindsay Planer

mp3@320

Tracklist

1. “Brilliant Corners†– 7:42

2. “Ba-lue Bolivar Ba-lues-are†– 13:24

3. “Pannonica†– 8:50

4. “I Surrender Dear†(Harry Barris) – 5:25

5. “Bemsha Swing†(Thelonious Monk, Denzil Best) – 7:42

Musicians

* Thelonious Monk — piano; celeste on Pannonica

* Ernie Henry — alto saxophone on Brilliant Corners, Ba-lue Bolivar Ba-lues-are and Pannonica

* Sonny Rollins — tenor saxophone

* Oscar Pettiford — double bass on Brilliant Corners, Ba-lue Bolivar Ba-lues-are and Pannonica

* Max Roach — drums; timpani on Bemsha Swing

* Clark Terry — trumpet on Bemsha Swing

* Paul Chambers — double bass on Bemsha Swing

http://bit.ly/dKiez6

Crusader Rabbit Stealth Band

Sweetwater Saloon

Mill Valley CA

2001-06-10

featuring:

Bob Weir

Phil Lesh

Rob Barraco

Jimmy Herring

John Molo.

set I / disc 1 [56:23]

1 tuning

2 jam

3 Truckin >

4 Smokestack Lightning

5 Friend Of The Devil

6 China Cat Sunflower >

7 The Eleven

8 Brown-Eyed Women

set II / disc 2 [72:43]

1 The Music Never Stopped

2 Watchtower intro >

3 Get Together

4 Cassidy ^

5 Mason's Children

6 Viola Lee Blues >

7 Maggie's Farm >

8 Viola Lee Blues

encore / disc 3 [23:45]

1 donor rap

2 Promised Land * >

3 I Know You Rider *

^ with vocal jam

* with Warren Haynes

Thanks, Kev! I had just put on another record (Miles Davis - The Complete Concert: 1964) when I read your post and realized that Brilliant Corners was the record I should have been playing.

Aloha,

Brad

haha :) Both are GREAT albums.

Check online for streaming a good doc on Monk if you're interested. It's called "Straight, No Chaser" and it was directed by Clint Eastwood.

http://bit.ly/gLKVdn

folder4.jpg

The String Cheese Incident – Cheese On The Rocks

Cheese On The Rocks was offered to those who attended the group’s Red Rocks run in 2010 and includes music from 2000 through 2007, including a version of “Birdland†from 9/5/03 with John Medeski.

mp3@V0

Tracklist

01. Little Hands 6/30/00 (previously unreleased)

02. Black Clouds 6/30/01 (previously unreleased)

03. Come As You Are 6/30/01 (previously unreleased)

04. Cedar Laurels 7/1/01 (previously unreleased)

05. Shantytown 7/6/02

06. Birdland 9/5/03 (with John Medeski)

07. Way Back Home 7/1/06

08. MLT > I Wish 8/10/07 (with Danny Sears & Chris Cuzme)

09. Fearless > Whiskey Before Breakfast 8/12/07

http://bit.ly/gLKVdn

http://bit.ly/ebrsM4

folder5.jpg

The String Cheese Incident – Cheese In The Trees

Cheese in the Trees is a collection of songs from Horning’s Hideout over the years, which originally was given to ticket-buyers for last year’s Horning’s event. It offers both acoustic and electric performances and guest appearances by Scott Law, Xavier Rudd and STS9.

mp3@V0

Tracklist

01. Restless Wind 7/16/00 (acoustic) (previously unreleased)

02. Born On The Wrong Planet 7/16/00 (acoustic) (previously unreleased)

03. Midnight Moonlight 7/16/00 (acoustic) (previously unreleased) with Scott Law

04. Shakin’ The Tree 8/11/01 (previously unreleased)

05. This Must Be The Place 8/11/01 (previously unreleased)

06. Dirk 8/12/01 (previously unreleased)

07. Turn This Around 8/1/03

08. Land’s End 6/18/04 (with Xavier Rudd)

09. Rivertrance 6/19/04 (with STS9)

http://bit.ly/ebrsM4

Ryan Adams

10-17-2006

Das Haus - Ludwigshafen, Germany

So.Damn.Good.

Disc 1:

01 Intro

02 Magnolia Mountain

03 > Hallelujah

04 Blue Hotel

05 To Be Young (Is to Be Sad, Is to Be High)

06 New York, New York

07 She Wants to Play Hearts

08 Chin Up, Cheer Up

09 Freeway to the Canyon

10 Harder Now That It's Over

11 [Fade Out]

Disc 2:

01 [Fade In]

02 Damn Sam (I Love a Woman That Rains)

03 Easy Plateau

04 Peaceful Valley

05 Trouble On Wheels