Jambands.ca

What are you listening to right now?

PassedOutGuy

http://bit.ly/jCUHmh

ben-harper-give-till-its-gone.jpg

Ben Harper – Give Til It’s Gone

The prolific Ben Harper will release his 10th studio album on May 17. After working in band contexts for this past few years, Give Till It’s Gone is a solo release, Harper’s first since 2006’s Both Sides of the Gun. Harper recorded the album at Jackson Browne’s studio and Browne adds vocals to “Pray That Our Love Sees The Dawn.†Ringo Starr also makes an appearance, joining for two tunes that he co-authored with Harper, one of which is an instrumental (“Get There From Hereâ€). The first single from Give Till It’s Gone is “Rock N’ Roll Is Free,†which Harper wrote after watching Neil Young tear through a version of “Rockin’ in the Free World†in London last summer.

mp3@V0

Tracklist

01 – Don’t Give Up On Me Now

02 – I Will Not Be Broken

03 – Rock N’ Roll Is Free

04 – Feel Love

05 – Clearly Severely

06 – Spilling Faith

07 – Get There From Here

08 – Pray That Our Love Sees The Dawn

09 – Waiting On A Sign

10 – Dirty Little Lover

11 – Do It For You, Do It For Us

http://bit.ly/jCUHmh

Totally diggin' this while working today :/~

He trades you dimes for nickels and calls watermelons pickles, you never met that funny reefer man? All the vipers love their mezrow. Bust your cork on peppermint candy! Who should enter, but the man from Harlem? Sorry jake, you got here late, all the jive is gone. I know how you feel, don't be a 'fraidy, you'll find what I mean in any ol' field. Light up!

http://bit.ly/j76nMn

b000062uzc-01-lzzzzzzz1.jpg

Various Artists – Dope & Glory

Dope and Glory is a collection of ’30s and ’40s vocal jazz music with marijuana as the single defining theme. Both esoteric and carefree, the compilation album is a perfect release for Germany’s Trikont, philosophy and political science graduate Achmin Bergmann’s record label that grew out of a small left-wing publishing house that was distributing Mao’s Little Red Book and Che Guevara’s diary. Dope and Glory is an amazing insider look at a subculture of disobedience that was paired with jazz, one of the defining outsider artistic movements of the 20th century. New Orleans, the original reefer city, is represented here through Louis Armstrong among others, and Chicago and the jive culture center of Harlem are conjured and referenced by the likes of the archetypal “reefer man,†Milton “Mezz†Mezzrow. Marijuana is mentioned in every song, whether as “reefer,†“jive,†“weed,†“viper,†“golden leaf,†or “Texas tea.†There’s a certain levity to hearing Julia Lee sing about trying “spinach†in “Spinach Song,†or the grooviness of Cab Calloway’s semi-sinister “The Man From Harlem.†But the jazz music on Dope and Glory stands on its own as sublime, uplifting, and influential regardless of the theme. For one thing, Dope and Glory proves how pervasive reefer culture was amid the jazz scene. Luminaries accepted by mainstream America — like Benny Goodman (“Texas Tea Partyâ€), Cab Calloway, Louis Armstrong, Nat King Cole (“Hit That Jive Backâ€), and Tommy Dorsey — appear throughout the collection. In the end, Dope and Glory is an ethnomusicological curiosity, a political album, and a simply great set of jazz. The artists score points for the revolutionary potential of music, but at the same time, they’re just laying down some smoking tunes.

mp3@192-224

Tracklist

CD 1

01 Sendin’ The Vipers – - – Mezz Mezzrow & His Orch

02 Vipers Drag – - – Fats Waller

03 When I Get Low I Get High – - – Chick Webb & His Orch

04 I’m Gonna Get High – - – Tampa Red & The Chicago Five

05 Spinach Song – - – Julie Lee & Her Boyfriends

06 Do You Dig My Jive? – - – Sam Price & Texas Bluesicians

07 Ol Man River – - – Cootie Williams

08 Knockin’ Myself Out – - – Yack Taylor

09 Reefer Man – - – Harlan Lattimore

10 The Man From Harlem – - – Cab Calloway

11 Here Comes The Man With The Jive – - – Stuff Smith & His Onyx Club Boys

12 If You’re A Viper – - – Bob Howard & His Boys

13 Texas Tea Party – - – Benny Goodman

14 Light Up – - – Buster Bailey’s Rhythm Busters

15 Jack, I’m Mellow – - – Trixie Smith

16 Sweet Marihuana Brown – - – Barney Bigard Sextet

17 Viper Mad – - – Sidney Bechet with Swingers

18 Weed Smokers Dream – - – Harlem Hamfats

19 The “G†Man For The “T†Man – - – Cee Pee Johnson

20 All The Jive Is Gone – - – A Kirk & His 12 Clouds Of Joy

21 Stuff Is Here – - – Bob White

22 Weed – - – Bea Foote

23 Knockin’ Myself Out – - – Lil Green

24 If You’re A Viper – - – Lorraine Walton

25 Save The Roach For Me – - – Buck Washington

CD2

01 Killin’ Jive – - – Cats & The Fiddle

02 Mary Jane – - – Meltone Boys

03 Sweet Sue, Just You – - – Louis Armstrong

04 Hit That Jive, Jack! – - – Nat king Cole Trio

05 All Tweed Up – - – Sam Price

06 Golden Leaf Strut – - – Original New Orleans Rhythm Kings

07 Reefer Head Woman – - – Jazz Gillum & His Jazz Boys

08 Blue Reefer Blues – - – Richard Jones & His Jazz Wizards

09 I’se A-Muggin, Pt 1 – - – Mezz Mezzrow & His Orch

10 I’se A-Muggin, Pt 2 – - – Mezz Mezzrow & His Orch

11 Jive Man Blues – - – Frankie Jaxon

12 Knockin’ Myself Out – - – Big Bill Broonzy & Jean Brady

13 Muggin’ The Blues – - – Richard Jones & His Jazz Wizards

14 Mellow Stuff – - – Lil Johnson

15 Minor Goes A Muggin – - – Tommy Dorsey

16 Reefer Man – - – Cab Calloway

17 Try Some Of That – - – Oscar’s Chicago Swingers

18 Dopey Joe – - – Slim & Slam

19 The Stuff Is Here And It’s Mellow – - – Cleo Brown

20 Don’t Credit My Stuff – - – Cedar Creek Sheik

21 A Viper’s Moan – - – Willie Bryant & Orch

22 Chant Of The Weed – - – Don Redman & Orch

23 Smoking Reefers – - – Larry Adler

24 Muggles – - – Louis Armstrong

25 Willie The Weeper – - – Frankie “Half Pint†Jaxon

http://bit.ly/j76nMn

http://bit.ly/myFkOo

wanda-jackson-the-party-aint-over.jpg

Wanda Jackson – The Party Ain’t Over

Back in 2004 and hot off the successes of White Blood Cells and Elephant, alt-rock hero/guitar god/man of the decade Jack White reached out to his longtime idol, country legend Loretta Lynn, in the hopes of bringing her out of retirement to record new material. The result was one of the most acclaimed albums of the year, Van Lear Rose, on which White handled all production and guitar duties. White’s indie-cred helped propel Lynn’s legend to new heights and introduce her vast catalog to a new generation of listeners and fans, as was evidenced by the release of last year’s Coal Miner’s Daughter: A Tribute to Loretta Lynn, a tribute album that featured pop acts of all kinds, from Paramore and Kid Rock to Jack White’s own White Stripes. White proved to be the perfect candidate for the job; his inherent devotion to Lynn’s musical style of old kept the album from veering off into hackneyed attempts at updating a very established artist’s sound, while his carefully added touches here and there made Lynn sound simultaneously hip and as much her old self as ever.

So when the news of White’s plans to cut an LP with another one of his idols, rockabilly/country legend Wanda Jackson, surfaced, comparisons were inevitable. Here was White, again at the helm of another revered country singer’s career reboot attempt–one whose music and image has left an indelible mark on White’s own. But from the blasts of horns that herald the start of the record on Jackson’s splendid album-opening cover of the classic “Shakin’ All Overâ€, it’s clear that things couldn’t be more different this time around: The Party Ain’t Over is less an attempt at career revival and more like a celebration of Jackson’s storied career. Where Loretta Lynn rediscovered her songwriting abilities on Van Lear Rose, Jackson tries her hand at reinterpreting a carefully picked mix of old standards and contemporary tunes, to great effect. Even the most recent of the covers on the record, Bob Dylan’s “Thunder on the Mountain†and Amy Winehouse’s “You Know I’m No Goodâ€, were originally written with a lean to the retro side of things that, with White’s huge arrangements, suit Jackson perfectly.

Her signature rasp is as intact as ever and she lets loose on a number of tracks, perhaps no more than she does on the aforementioned “Shakin’ All Overâ€. Jackson sounds most at home on the 50s-esque rave-up of “Rip It Up†and the swinging blues of “Bustedâ€, made famous by Little Richard and Johnny Cash respectively. The surprisingly tender “Teach Me Tonight†sees the singer try on an affectionate croon that meshes perfectly with the dreamy keys and backing vocals. Her stirring rendition of Bob Dylan’s 2006 instant classic, “Thunder on the Mountainâ€, is another highlight. Jackson isn’t afraid to turn the tune on its head, changing the lyrical subject from Dylan’s puzzling ramblings about Alicia Keys to that of a certain Jerry Lee, while White adds a couple of fiery solos in between verses for good measure. Of course, the most talked about of the album’s song choices is Amy Winehouse’s “You Know I’m No Goodâ€. Packed to the brim with sexual tension, the sultry tune would be a tough sell for anyone, let alone a 73-year-old country singer. But her charm and snarling take on the racy verses win out in the end, easily making for one of the record’s most memorable songs.

It’s interesting to hear White, who’s been a noted minimalist on his past records, embrace a much more bombastic sound on The Party Ain’t Over and make good use of the amazing musicians at his disposal. The star-studded Third Man House Band (which includes Jack Lawrence [The Dead Weather/The Raconteurs], Carl Broemel [My Morning Jacket], Patrick Keeler [The Raconteurs], and Jack White, among others) provides the perfect backing to Jackson’s rugged voice, allowing her to showcase her talents in a variety of styles; the Caribbean-styled “Rum and Coca-Cola†and the organ-tinged gospel of “Dust on the Bible†highlight her range as well as her band’s. A spare take on blues standard “Blue Yodel #9″, which sees Jackson yodeling her heart out and trims the accompaniment to just Jack White on acoustic guitar, closes things out in interesting fashion.

All in all, The Party Ain’t Over proves to be a bold success. Most musicians Wanda Jackson’s age are content with resting on the laurels and acclaim they’ve collected over their career, putting out boxset after boxset of remastered and rereleased material. Rather than going the tired “return-to-rootsâ€/â€back to basics†route, Jack White manages to cast the legend in a new light, showcasing her skill as a performer and storyteller with his dynamic approach to analog recording. To be fair, The Party Ain’t Over wouldn’t have gotten half the attention it deserved if White didn’t opt to feature on, produce, and tour it, and in all honesty, it’d hardly be as interesting. That said (and despite his efforts to take a step out of the spotlight), it’s about as much his record as it is hers.- http://www.kingblind.com/

mp3@320

Tracklist

01 – Shakin’ All Over

02 – Rip It Up

03 – Busted

04 – Rum And Coca-Cola

05 – Thunder On The Mountain

06 – You Know I’M No Good

07 – Like A Baby

08 – Nervous Breakdown

09 – Dust On The Bible

10 – Teach Me Tonight

11 – Blue Yodel #6

http://bit.ly/myFkOo

Some truly brillant stuff and hidden gems in this collection. I had forgotten how good it is;

http://bit.ly/m62Eaw

51jFP4baJyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Bob Dylan – The Bootleg Series Vol. 8 – Tell Tale Signs: Rare and Unreleased 1989–2006 [3CD edition]

The Bootleg Series Vol. 8 – Tell Tale Signs: Rare and Unreleased 1989–2006 is a compilation album by singer-songwriter Bob Dylan and is the most recent installment of his official “bootleg series†of rare and unissued recordings. It was originally released as a double, and (limited edition) triple album. It was later released as a single album, consisting of disc one of the double set. The three-disc version of Tell Tale Signs includes a 150-page book, and some editions include a 7″ vinyl single with two tracks from the set.

The album spans the recording sessions for Oh Mercy, World Gone Wrong, Time Out of Mind, and Modern Times as well as a number of soundtrack contributions and previously unreleased live tracks from 1989 through 2006. The collection also includes a track from an abandoned album Dylan had started to record with David Bromberg in 1992, and Dylan’s duet with Ralph Stanley, ‘The Lonesome River’. Although Under the Red Sky, Good as I Been to You and Love and Theft were all recorded during this time period, no tracks from these sessions are included on Tell Tale Signs. An alternate version of “Series of Dreams†was included on Vol. 3 of the Bootleg Series. “Dreamin’ Of Youâ€, an outtake from the Time Out of Mind sessions, was offered for free download on Bob Dylan’s site and was also sent to radio stations as a promotional single.

The official Bob Dylan website offered a deluxe edition of the album, including a 150-page book and a bonus disc of tracks on top of the regular edition. Fans who pre-ordered the deluxe set directly from Bob Dylan’s website also received an exclusive 7″ vinyl. The first 5000 customers were also given a Theme Time Radio Hour poster. – Wikipedia

mp3@320

Tracklist

Disc one

01 “Mississippi†– 6:04 (Unreleased, Time Out of Mind)

02 “Most of the Time†– 3:46 (Alternate version, Oh Mercy)

03 “Dignity†– 2:09 (Piano demo, Oh Mercy)

04 “Someday Baby†– 5:56 (Alternate version, Modern Times)

05 “Red River Shore†– 7:36 (Unreleased, Time Out of Mind)

06 “Tell Ol’ Bill†– 5:31 (Alternate version of song released on North Country soundtrack)

07 “Born in Time†– 4:10 (Unreleased, Oh Mercy)

08 “Can’t Wait†– 5:45 (Alternate version, Time Out of Mind)

09 “Everything Is Broken†– 3:27 (Alternate version, Oh Mercy)

10 “Dreamin’ of You†– 5:54 (Unreleased, Time Out Of Mind) (the time of 6:23 listed on the album is incorrect)[7]

11 “Huck’s Tune†– 4:09 (From Lucky You soundtrack)

12 “Marchin’ to the City†– 6:36 (Unreleased, Time Out of Mind)

13 “High Water (For Charley Patton)†– 6:40 (Live, August 23, 2003, Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada)

Disc two

01 “Mississippi†– 6:24 (Alternate version #2, Time Out of Mind)

02 “32-20 Blues†– 4:22 (Robert Johnson) (Unreleased, World Gone Wrong)

03 “Series of Dreams†– 6:27 (Unreleased, Oh Mercy)

04 “God Knows†– 3:12 (Unreleased, Oh Mercy)

05 “Can’t Escape from You†– 5:22 (Unreleased, December 2005 recording)

06 “Dignity†– 5:25 (Unreleased, Oh Mercy)

07 “Ring Them Bells†– 4:59 (Live at The Supper Club, November 17, 1993, New York, NY)

08 “Cocaine Blues†– 4:40 (Live, August 24, 1997, Vienna, VA)

09 “Ain’t Talkin’†– 6:13 (Alternate version, Modern Times)

10 “The Girl on the Greenbriar Shore†– 2:51 (Live, June 30, 1992, Dunkerque, France)

11 “Lonesome Day Blues†– 7:37 (Live, February 1, 2002, Sunrise, FL)

12 “Miss the Mississippi†– 3:20 (Unreleased, 1992)

13 “The Lonesome River†– 3:04 (with Ralph Stanley, from the album Clinch Mountain Country)

14 “‘Cross the Green Mountain†– 8:15 (from Gods and Generals Soundtrack)

Bonus Disc

01 “Duncan & Brady†– 3:47 (Unreleased, 1992)

02 “Cold Irons Bound†– 5:57 (Live at Bonnaroo, 2004)

03 “Mississippi†– 6:24 (Alternate version #3, Time Out of Mind)

04 “Most of the Time†– 5:10 (Alternate version #2, Oh Mercy)

05 “Ring Them Bells†– 3:18 (Alternate version, Oh Mercy)

06 “Things Have Changed†– 5:32 (Live, June 15, 2000, Portland, OR)

07 “Red River Shore†– 7:08 (Unreleased version #2, Time Out of Mind)

08 “Born in Time†– 4:19 (Unreleased version #2, Oh Mercy)

09 “Tryin’ to Get to Heaven†– 5:10 (Live, October 5, 2000, London, England)

10 “Marchin’ to the City†– 3:39 (Unreleased version #2, Time Out of Mind)

11 “Can’t Wait†– 7:24 (Alternate version #2, Time Out of Mind)

12 “Mary and the Soldier†– 4:23 (Unreleased, World Gone Wrong)

http://bit.ly/m62Eaw

http://bit.ly/jXxEXM

folder5.jpg

Levon Helm – Ramble At The Ryman

On September 17, 2008, the legendary Levon Helm took his beloved Midnight Ramble on the road to one of America’s treasured venues, Nashville’s historic Ryman Auditorium. Accompanied by such luminaries as Buddy Miller, John Hiatt, Sheryl Crow, George Receli, Sam Bush and Billy Bob Thornton, the Levon Helm Band created an unforgettable night of stage magic.

Available on May 3rd, Ramble At The Ryman – Live CD & DVD (each sold separately) captures the joy, essence and reverence of Helm’s live shows. This collection features the Levon Helm Band in a veritable tour through the American songbook, performing classics from Helm’s tenure with The Band, as well as song’s from his Grammy winning release Dirt Farmer and selections from artists such as Chuck Berry, the Carter Family and more.

Ramble at the Ryman came on the heels of Dirt Farmer’s stunning debut which won a Grammy in 2008 for Best Traditional Folk Album and landed Helm a spot in Rolling Stone’s The 100 Greatest Singers of All Time. That same year Helm was also recognized by the Recording Academy with a lifetime achievement award as an original member of The Band and was given the “Artist of the Year†Award by the Americana Music Association. In 2009, Helm released Electric Dirt which marked his highest debut in Soundscan era at #36 and spent six consecutive weeks at #1 on the Americana Radio Chart. Helm won his second consecutive Grammy for Electric Dirt in the inaugural category of Best Americana Album in 2010.

The May 3rd release of Ramble at the Ryman coincides with the commemoration of Levon Helm Day on May 20th. Established in the House of Representatives by the Honorable Maurice D. Hinchey in May 2006, Mr. Hinchey declared “It is because of this great man, and the great music he produces that the Village of Woodstock, New York, has declared May 20th as Levon Helm Day. It continues to be an honor and a great pleasure for so many of us in New York and across America to bear witness to the incredible career and life of this very strong, extremely talented and generous man. I look forward to many more Midnight Rambles.â€

The Levon Helm Band continues to play to sold out crowds at his weekly ‘Midnight Ramble’ concerts in his hometown of Woodstock, NY. Since 2004, a who’s who of artists and fans from around the world gather to share the stage and join in a celebration of this musical icon.

In this release, The Levon Helm band includes: Levon Helm, Larry Campbell, Amy Helm, Teresa Williams, Brian Mitchell, Erik Lawrence, Clark Gayton, Jay Collins, Steven Bernstein, Paul Ossola, Tony Leone and Sammy Davis.- levonhelm.com

mp3@V0

Tracklist

01 – Ophelia

02 – Back To Memphis

03 – Fannie Mae (w/ Little Sammy Davis)

04 – Baby Scratch My Back (w/ Little Sammy Davis)

05 – Evangeline (w/Sheryl Crowe)

06 – No Depression In Heaven (w/Sheryl Crowe)

07 – Wide River To Cross (w/ Sam Bush & Buddy Miller)

08 – Deep Elem Blues

09 – Anna Lee

10 – Rag Mama Rag

11 – Time Out For The Blues (w/ Teresa Williams)

12 – A Train Robbery

13 – The Shape I’m In

14 – Chest Fever

15 – The Weight (w/ John Hiatt)

http://bit.ly/jXxEXM

Edited by Guest

http://bit.ly/kYZG6f

folder6.jpg

Phish – I-90s Bonus Disc

If you order “Live In Utica†from Phish Dry Goods, you’ll receive “Phish: I-90sâ€, a free bonus CD compilation featuring archival material from as early as nineteen years before the “Live In Utica†DVD release. This collection follows the band along the I-90 New York Thruway as they honed their skills in drummer Jon Fishman’s home state, recalling highlights from some of the region’s many great Phish shows in the 90s. Recorded by Paul Languedoc, compiled by Kevin Shapiro and mastered by Fred Kevorkian. - phish.com

mp3@V0

Tracklist

1. Brother > (5/17/92 Achilles Rink, Union College – Schenectady, NY)

2. Possum (5/17/92 Achilles Rink, Union College – Schenectady, NY)

3. Faht (7/15/93 Cayuga County Fairgrounds – Weedsport, NY)

4. Tweezer (5/9/92 Syracuse Armory – Syracuse, NY)

5. Lifeboy (7/15/93 Cayuga County Fairgrounds – Weedsport, NY)

6. David Bowie (11/4/94 Onondaga War Memorial Auditorium – Syracuse, NY)

7. Slave To The Traffic Light (8/12/98 Vernon Downs – Vernon, NY)

8. Daniel Saw The Stone (7/15/93 Cayuga County Fairgrounds – Weedsport, NY)

http://bit.ly/kYZG6f