Jambands.ca

Grateful Dead : End of the Road

bouche

Has anyone heard of this?

End of the road

No rock band ever attracted a more loyal audience than the Grateful Dead, whose followers would often travel alongside the band, drifting from show to show, selling food, T-shirts, or trinkets in the parking lots of their venues in order to pay for their tickets, or simply panhandling from more solvent fans to scrape up enough money to move onto the next show. The downside of the "Deadheads" bohemian carnival lifestyle became clear during the Dead's 1995 summer tour, during which violence between the audience and security forces led to the cancellation of one show, and a horde of ticketless fans tore down a fence at another concert, turning it into a free event -- much to the band's consternation. The End of the Road is a documentary that looks at the events of the summer 1995 tour, which proved to be the group's last when guitarist and leader Jerry Garcia died a month later. While the film features no performance footage of the Grateful Dead, The End of the Road does include interviews with several group members, including Bob Weir, Phil Lesh, and Mickey Hart, as well as a number of people who worked with the Dead and the many Deadheads who followed the band. ~ Mark Deming, All Movie Guide

The specific encounter I am describing is not my first but I would not like to remember my previous abductions but to describe one specific abduction that occured when I was 17. After I completed a compulsary first aid training course, I was on my way home. About that time I noticed a glowing object.The time was aproximately 8:30. As this wasn't my first encounter, I assumed it was a UFO. As I was staring at it from my car, I suddenly got out to view it. I was viewing the object for quite some time until I saw it drop down and land somewhere in the woods. I was then scared to further investigate, so I ran back to my car and for some reason it would not start. I was about to walk down the road when I saw 4-5 figures emerge out of the woods. I was shocked and frightened. I did nothing but stare at the figures as they came closer until they came in my car and took me in their ship. Inside it was pitch black and there was a screen on one wall and a chair right in front of it. They placed me in the chair and put some sort of drill in my nose and then checked my eyes with some sort of a metalic device that had a blue light. After they were done examining me they told me that I would not be harmed and I can return to my car. Before they took me away I asked "who or what are you?" The same voice responded telepathically, "We are from the future. We travel back in time to get organs from humans before we evolve because our planet is dying." After that I was taken to my car and I asked, "What happened at Roswell?" Another voice told me telepathically that the government did recover a spaceship and they are not working with us but trying to manipulate us into helping them. Since then, I haven't been able to sleep well and I have paranioa and was placed in a mental hospital on three different occasions.

"a horde of ticketless fans tore down a fence at another concert, turning it into a free event "

Are they talking about the June'95 Highgate show? That fence was an afterthought; the stage area was already packed with paying customers by the time that happened.

Hey, if anybody has any steam left after Canada Day in Ottawa, come out to Bourbon Street on Saturday the 2nd. TMNS are playing two full sets of Grateful Dead, as a precurser to the August 6th Blowout at the Carlton Tavern (this, to mark the 10th anniversary since Jerry's departure).

fireworksweb7zm.th.jpg

www.realgonedaddies.com

www.woolyproductions.com/tmns

No, I beleive the show they are referring to, (my & Dave's last, BTW) was the first Deer Creek of a two-night run. Second night cancelled due to aforementioned fuckery. It was one of the scariest nights of my life in that we were tripping HARD and were on the lawn (as our usual preference) and as the 12 by 12 foot sections of solid wooden fences came crashing in on us, we helped moms and wee babies get out from under and being crushed!!! All while hordes of screamin' fukkin' yahoos streamed over the fences and down into the seat-areas.

leaving the venue, after gut-wrenching renditions of New Speedway Boogie and Desolation Row (you KNOW the band was so saddened by what just went down), we were herded out the "back" -- down the hill of the grassy amphitheatre, and past the freakin MARINES with their guns/rifles drawn and aimed at us 'love hippies'. That was seriously some freaky sh!t I never hope to re-live. the grim looks on their faces --- as if shooting one of us in the head was what they'd dreamed of their whole lives.

anyway, years later, I've been absolutley delighted to discover Keller Williams song about the whole fiasco ("Gate Crashers Suck")....and now to discover this film.

Did anyone have the pleasure of being involved in the Phil's Birthday Riots in Landover, MD 1990? They occurred in the lots while the show was going on.

We were treated to cops on horses with tazers and billy sticks, and I even had the joy of watching one deadhead get beaten by riot-sized billy sticks wielded by cops still on their horses while he was standing next to a parked car in the lot yelling, "but that's my own car, I'm just trying to get into my own car!"

Aaaaaaah ... the memories .....

Hey StoneMt, I wasn't at that show but I do remember other shows where the security were gittin a little over zealous. The Meadowlands the year before still ranks, for me, as the begining of the end. I don't think that dude who was killed there that night ever got justice. Adam Katz?

peace

God bless Adam Katz and hell be damned for those 'yellow jackets' that took his life.

For the record, Highgate was ugly as well. Detroit also had an ugly environment, but not nearly as bad as the 'stadium' shows seemed to have. That was truly an ominous tour.

Edited by Guest

I remember that Adam Katz business at the Meadowlands - we were there that night, and can still call to mind that cattle chute they ran us through on the way into and out of the venue (and people, to make the point clearer, going "moooooooo" all the way across).

Looking forward to this flick - Jaimoe, should we do a back-to-back with the Trucking up to Buffalo?

I remember that Adam Katz business at the Meadowlands - we were there that night, and can still call to mind that cattle chute they ran us through on the way into and out of the venue (and people, to make the point clearer, going "moooooooo" all the way across).

Looking forward to this flick - Jaimoe, should we do a back-to-back with the Trucking up to Buffalo?

ooh, you got that, dr evil? bring it out this way some time....

mooooooooooooooooo....