Jambands.ca

Would all the people with the title SIR please shut up

Hux

Rick Mercer has a funny blog entry about Sir Bob Geldof (hey, when is the REAL Bob gonna be knighted?)

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Would all the people with the title SIR please shut up.

Keep those emails coming folks! The suggestions as to where JasonKenney.org should point are flooding in. I am pleased to tell you that many are totally obscene! One “avid reader” suggested a link that took me to a place that I did not know existed. A dark place, a scary place, a place with the word goat in it. There will be no link. I don’t want to be up on charges this early in the game.

My problem now is I’m basically a luddite when it comes to computers. I’m a long time user, long time looser. I’m a man who lost my Microsoft word icon on my desktop and can’t figure out how to get it back. Upshot is I don’t know what the hell I’m doing. However with the help of the Almighty I will learn how to post pictures, links, and all those things that make everyone else’s blog so sexy.

Speaking of sexy… That Sir Bob Geldof is a looker!

Okay I know I’m a cynical prick about these things but when Bob Geldof tells Canada’s Prime Minister to stay at home and skip the G8 summit are we not supposed to laugh our asses off? Did a memo go out that said aging rock stars are setting the agenda at the G8 now? Would the world be a better place if the Bob Geldofs were running it? I think so. Rock stars know a lot more than just where to score the coke you know.

Don’t get me wrong it’s not that I don’t think people like Sir Bob have a place on the world stage. If I was to hold an international symposium on getting off Junk or the perils of autoerotic asphyxiation I would expect a healthy number of rock stars with royal titles to take part in it.

Something tells me that Sir Bob is a little bitter about Bono getting too much attention.

Okay now I’m going to take some blogger tutorials. I swear this is gonna be a sexy blog any minute now.

posted by Rick Mercer at 10:44 AM

He goes way over the top, but I think Noel G makes a legitimate point...

Noel Gallagher Is Not A Fan Of Live 8

Outspoken Noel Gallagher has launched an astonishing attack on Live 8, claiming it is a waste of time.

The Oasis star says next month's extravaganza is a pointless exercise that won't help ease world debt because politicans won't listen.

Rock stars, says Noel, do not have the influence to change the minds of the world's biggest politicans - and singing a few songs isn't going to help.

In his usual cutting way, Noel went into one.

He said: "Correct me if I am wrong, but are they hoping that one of these guys from the G8 is going to see Annie Lennox singing Sweet Dreams and think 'f**k me, she might have a point there'.

"Or Keane doing Somewhere Only We Know and some Japanese businessman looks at him and says 'we should really drop that debt, you now'.

"It isn't going to happen is it?"

That's the spirit Noel...

Link

Well, I guess Bob could have said "F##K It" and not have bothered bringing the world's attention to Ethiopia, because for all intents and purposes he was the person who got things rolling...thank jebus he took the road less travelled 'cause if he didn't he's be a drunk rock star lying in a ditch like Noel...

Well, I guess Bob could have said "F##K It" and not have bothered bringing the world's attention to Ethiopia, because for all intents and purposes he was the person who got things rolling...thank jebus he took the road less travelled 'cause if he didn't he's be a drunk rock star lying in a ditch like Noel...

noel is at least realistic, but sir bob has a bigger point. politicians are not going to listen to a windbag like bono rail on about 3rd world debt. they will listen, however, to their constituents, or to a critical mass of their constituents. geldof's stated point is to get all of us lazy slugs up off the couch and make us think about what effect cancelling debt will have. the next thing we are to do is to write or call our MP and tell him that we want debt cancelled with no conditions. no structural adjustments to economies, no fuckery, no nothing.

live 8 is a pointless exercise if we don't all follow up. imagine if the day after live 8 happens, a million phone calls to MP's offices are logged. that will get attention. not necessarily action... (had to close on a cynical note) (~):)

I remember the Live Aid thing very well, and no, there was not a lot of cynicism, because I don't think anyone realised just exactly what was gonna happen until it happened and was a success.

The eyes of the world are on Bob now, they weren't then.

Oh, and the autobiography is called Is That It?, and yes, it's a good read.

I have the Live Aid dvd (thanks hux!) and watched a huge portion of it with Kaidy mae and Burtman. It was a helluva lot of fun to watch many of the performances. Most of the bands blow EVERYTHING out of the water today as far as pop music goes. Duran Duran were killer performers. That's one of the many things that I learned watching it.

Oh Bouche, that was a good time. Freddie, oh that Freddie...he blew our minds! What an incredible performance. Yeow! Perhaps we can catch a bit of the London show after celebrating our fine nation's birthday? :P

Outspoken Noel Gallagher has launched an astonishing attack on Live 8, claiming it is a waste of time.

Wow, have we actually found Del a little competition for the King of Bitterness title? :P Just kidding dude...you will forever have the belt!

Really though, however ironic it is that Noel Gallagher is making comments on time wasting, he does bring more attention to this side of the debate. I'm glad he spoke out. I'm glad he whines like a fucking child. Hopefully this will inspire peole to prove him wrong. Write letters, make donations, wear your White Bands and try to spread the word. It is the very, very least that we can do. :)

Really though, however ironic it is that Noel Gallagher is making comments on time wasting, he does bring more attention to this side of the debate. I'm glad he spoke out. I'm glad he whines like a fucking child. Hopefully this will inspire peole to prove him wrong. Write letters, make donations, wear your White Bands and try to spread the word. It is the very, very least that we can do. :)

Well said KM!