Jambands.ca

Sex is the Same as it was

bouche

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay! Now I've got something to talk about in tutorial tonight (I'd been drawing blanks). There's nothing like shared contempt for an outsider group to draw together religious conservatives from a variety of traditions, and I've got a lot in this class. It'll be interesting to see what arguments they muster, and if this new legislation tempers or aggravates them.

Yippee!!!

I always said I'd never get married...I couldn't take advantage of a right that my best friend in the whole wide world was unable to take advantage of simply because of who he chooses to love. Wow! I think I may actually be proud of our government for once. :P They did the right thing.

Although now I'll have to come up with a new reason to avoid getting hitched. ;)

I am proud of Canada for taking this step.

Shame on the Conservatives. They're born losers. Fuck 'em.

Yes, and yes.

They're not giving up yet, though, apparently; some were talking on CBC this morning about this becoming the issue for the next election. Oh boy, more stoking of hate to look forward to.

sir harpsalot's quote is exaclty what I was referring to. I don't think anyone wants to continue beating this thing into the ground. They goddamn VOTED and it PASSED! Why waste more money to fight for some goddawful RELIGIOUS beliefs?

I love these quotes though. They really show everyone what a jackass he is. Watch their support drop if he keeps threatening to waste more on same-sex.

I mean, what the hell is going to happen that is bad because same-sex marriages are legal? Making threats like that are just going to make a whole bunch of people rush to get married.

what an ass

I mean, what the hell is going to happen that is bad because same-sex marriages are legal? Making threats like that are just going to make a whole bunch of people rush to get married.

Actually Mike, because of provincial court decisions, same-sex marriage has already been legal in 7 (now 8) of 10 provinces in some cases for over 2 years already, ie. 27 of the 32 million Canadians already lived in a province where it was legal, regardless of yesterday's vote. The purpose of the legislation was to make the law the same across the country. Even if every MP voted against it, it would still be legal. Invoking the Notwithstanding clause of the Charter would be the only way to stop it, albeit temporarily.

Guest Low Roller

Even though the voices on this board are mostly very liberal, I won't be afraid to express my feelings on this matter, even though I expect a full-on backlash.

Although the bill is passed I think the debate is far from over. The Canadian people will not fall in line regarding this issue just because it passed in parliament through disearnest political means. I feel that this whole thing had nothing to do with granting homosexuals equal rights, but it was intended as a means with which the Liberals could show up the Conservatives. The Liberals have been losing momentum at a frightening pace, and they needed that big win even if it meant making a deal with the NDP (who also want to see the Conservatives fail) and the BQ (who are clearly only in it for themselves and their own selfish agenda). Homosexuality was probably a slightly more contraversial subject than legalizing pot, and that way the Liberals were hoping that the Canadian public would see that the Liberals aren't afraid making tough choices.

However if the Liberals' political platform is one that promotes moral decay, then they have lost my vote.

What I'm wondering is this: if Harper were to win the next Federal election, and passed a law repealing allowing same-sex marriages, what happens to all the same-sex couples who were married while the law allowing their marriages was in effect? Would they suddenly become "unmarried", like with some state-enforced annulment? Would those who got legally married remained legally married, but no more same-sex couples could get married? (If this was the case, I think it would an interesting avenue for a constitutional challenge.)

The situation is, I think, analogous to what would happen if the province raised the age for a driver's license from 16 to 18. What would happen to a 17-year-old who had a license?

Aloha,

Brad

However if the Liberals' political platform is one that promotes moral decay, then they have lost my vote.

Can you clarify what the moral decay is before I respond? Is it making deals with the NDP or the Bloc, or is it the gay marriage idea, or is it the method of one-ups-manship.... ?

AD