Jambands.ca

Dr. Robertson - unfair!

MoMack

Someone was talking about this earlier, Robbie Robertson is getting an honourary doctorate from Queen's. It peaked my interest, and it turns out that he's getting an honourary doctorate of laws at Queen's. This sucks, I'm getting my law degree from them at the end of next year. Think I can talk them into bringing in Garth Hudson? Or maybe Bobby? He could talk about the mandatory minimums down south...

Really I'm not much of a Robbie fan anyways, (I love the Band just not him), but what are the chances that they'll pick someone so close to home next year....

ahh well...

quote:

Originally posted by MoMack:

Someone was talking about this earlier, Robbie Robertson is getting an honourary doctorate from Queen's.

Really I'm not much of a Robbie fan anyways, (I love the Band just not him), but what are the chances that they'll pick someone so close to home next year....

ahh well...

Hey MoMack,

The Band would only be a good bar band without Robbie ( listen to the Band's stuff after he left ). He deserves everything he gets and is one of the finest songwriters and musicians this country has ever produced.

I have to disagree... they sound fine to me after he left.

But the reason that I don't like him isn't all about sound. Its about the fact that he rooked his bandmates. Back in the day when they were just making music and writing songs, Robbie had the forethought to put his name beside them all and therefore in the end he was the one getting the royalties while the rest of them suffered and were broke. That's why I don't like Robbie.

And if you want to know how I know that, I'm from the same town as Rick and know a few of his relatives. I also had the fortune to meet most of the post-Robbie Band when they put us all up in Chicago and got us backstage for the Soldier Field shows in July '95. They told me that he ripped them off...

Just how I feel about Robbie... I love the Band, and I love the music that they all made together, but he's just not my favourite.

Fair enough.

By taking your lead, Robbie's not the only songwriter who's taken most of the credit for band collaborations - see: Brian Wilson, Jagger & Richards, Eric Clapton ( Layla ), all rap artists, DJ's and, unfortunately, many many more - ( ripped-off musicians from the documentary, Standing In The Shadows Of Mowtown for example ).

I like the contributions of all the members of the original Band. Richard Manuel and Rick Danko were troubled, but hugely talented. Ex-music teacher Garth Hudson, although he's almost abandoned Canada, is a Canadian treasure. I just wish Levon Helm was Canadian. His voice alone is one of the trademark sounds of the Band, more-so in comparison, than Roger Daltrey's voice is to The Who. Still, no one will ever deign the Band's legacy to North American pop culture, especially for the States.

Archived