Jambands.ca

Pagan Picnic : A Call for Acoustic Musicians

Rob Not Bob

Hi, folks ,

I have spoken to some of you individually about this but now we have an actual (tentative) date and location, so I am putting this out to the list. I am part of the organizing committee for the Ottawa Pagan Picnic Day, which will be an open air event and a benefit food drive for the Ottawa Food Bank. One of the things I am responsible for is gathering acoustic musicians to play at this event. Thus far, I have spoken to members of Dr. Huxtable, Blue Grassy High, Ferris Wheeler, The Tummies, Daisy Ella Mojo Crew and Keep Yourself Good Company and all have expressed an interest in playing and helping out with this event. Also, Aljee of Ferriswheeler, the benign but firm organizer of Cafe Dekcuf's Tuesday Night Open Jam, has said he is willing to MC and help organize. Just to stress, this is a purely voluntary event and also not only acoustic but solar powered (ie no electricity, thus no amps) event. It is also a daytime family event and thus dry , meaning no booze. I was hoping to maybe have an after-picnic party once the sun goes down at somebody's place. This way, folks can relax after playing during the day with a drink or two if they want to. This should be a super fun event, with lots of food, games (sack races, tug of war, etc.) and lots of good people , and it should be a great chance to play before a new audience . If anybody is interested in playing at this event, please contact me at rainmakerrtv@hotmail.com . It is thus far scheduled to be at Vincent Massey Park on Saturday, August 16th, which is luckily not during any festivals I have been able to check. [smile] Particularly wanted are any drummers to bring their djembes, ashikos, bongos etc., since Pagans love drumming [Wink] Anybody who just wants to come out and have a good time feel free, this is an open event and everyone is welcome, it should be a super fun event.

Cheers,

Rob Not Bob

You said no amps, but will there be a PA (which would require power)? If you're going to have an MC, you'll need at least a microphone for him, and for acoustic instruments, I think you'll need some power (mandolin and banjo may not carry very far outside).

If you're for someone to be soundguy, let me know; I may be able to apply some of my limited skillset to the problem.

Aloha,

Brad

Wow, thanks for all the response, folks. I will try to answer all of you in turn.

Shainhouse : Thanks very much for your extremely kind offer, but we are working on a strictly volunteer basis ... we don't really have a budget, we wouldn't be able to cover your expenses. We aren't even collecting money for this, we are collecting non-perishable food items that will go right into the Ottawa Food Bank truck. Thanks again for the offer, though, I hope I get a chance to see Cavern if you come to Ottawa.

BradM : Thanks for your concerns and input. What we are doing is that we will be having the music in a part of the park known (at least among the Pagan Community) as the Sacred Grove. It is an area enclosed by trees that will keep the sound in and is set up and acts as an amphitheatre, with benches for people to sit and listen. Various pagan groups have used this for ritual space (my wife and I had our wedding there) and I am confident that this will work fine for being able to perform and hear all of the music. We don't have any way to use an amp or PA, we don't have any power at all, but I am sure this setup will work fine.

Super Freak : It's too bad you can't make it out, but I hope we can meet up at Wiccan Fest. You can probably meet me at my wife Fiona's vending tent ... she will be selling clothing and embroideries and hand made and painted rainsticks in the vending area. This is definitely going to be a blast.

Ms. Huxtable : Thanks for offering, I have spoken to Dr. Hux and Bouche but haven't had a chance to discuss this with you. We will definitely talk about this, I would be grateful for any advice you can give as this is my first time putting on something like this. Hopefully we can talk this Thursday ... is there a Jambands show there this week? The Dekcuf site doesn't list anything for this week. If not, we can discuss it in a couple of weeks, as we will be away at Wiccan Fest next week.

Rob Not Bob

Pootie Tang : Thanks a lot, Jiva Ju was on my list of people I wanted to contact but hadn't had a chance to talk to yet. I'm looking forward to you guys playing there.

Folks : Ultimately, I will know the schedule and how many musicians will be playing when they show up the day of the Picnic and not a second before. [Wink] But how I am looking at this, I think this will have individual sets by the various groups of musicians, and after that have a jam session with all of the musicians, closing off with a big drum circle. Hope to see all you nice folks out there.

Cheers,

Rob Not Bob

Maybe we could get dave-O to record some banjo playing (even just running up and down the neck playing different inversions of 'C' and 'G' chords...), then play the tapes back, with the speakers behind a cardboard cutout of dave-O (maybe with a real-life hat) with the rest of BGH playing and singing over it...

I wonder if we could do that with all the members of BGH...

Oh, wait, no power...

Never mind.

Aloha,

Brad

Archived