Jambands.ca

University of Waterloo pubs closed

CyberHippie

Was it all you damn hippies smoking dope on friday? LoL

---------------------------

Waterloo, Ont. — Two popular student pubs at the University of Waterloo have lost their liquor licences following a violent assault at one of them.

On Monday, the university yanked the liquor licences for the Bombshelter Pub and Federation Hall. The licence suspensions are indefinite.

The move follows a New Year's Eve incident in which a student was badly beaten at one of the bars.

A university spokesperson said the suspensions were necessary to protect the safety of students and others.

But the university's student federation said closures pose an unnecessary hardship to the pubs' 150 part-time employees, many of whom are students working their way through school.

From what I can tell, the university administration's decision to shut down the 2 university campus bars has nothing to do with typical liquor license infractions (or with our event on Fri. Jan. 17).

Basically, from what I can tell, this is shaping up to be a power struggle between the federation of students, who run the bars, and the university administration, who hold the liquor licences. The federation of students feel that the university is over-reacting to the incident that happened on new year's eve at fed hall, while the university admin. is expressing concerns about student safety and is trying to project a safe image publicly.

I hope that this gets resolved, and fairly soon, as I am confident that the federation of students would welcome the chance to run another jam event. I have received positive feedback from the manager of the Bombshelter regarding the event on Fri. Jan. 17, and he is a huge live music fan and I am confident he would be willing to book another jam event.

I'm really glad that this happened after our event, or I would have been really freaked out!!!

Peace, Mark

I've got to believe that it will get worked out sooner rather than later, but that's just my optimistic opinion. There are a number of events booked for the spring, with contracts signed ... I've got to believe that the stakes are pretty high on both sides to get things resolved. But there may be more to this than I'm aware of or that is publicly being discussed in the papers ...

Peace, Mark

Archived