Jambands.ca

Any psychologists here?

Patchoulia

You may have misunderstood: I suggested the space heater not as a way to keep warm, but as a way to let them know that it's too cold. Those who control things like heating and AC have a responsibility to those in the office, namely to make a comfortable workplace. If "they" aren't doing their job (or are overdoing it, in this case), the employee must take it upon him/her self to make the workplace comfortable, or at least engage in a suitable protest until the situation is resolved.

Aloha,

Brad

One guy, Eric Ho from Kingston took pictures with a camera inside the plane during the incident and the aftermath. I guess shortly afterwards he had signed 2 contracts, one for a Canadian media outlet and another to a US one. $1500 each.

I didn't read the rest of the thread, but isn't that kinda what happens all over the place? Isn't that what freelance journalists do?

I don't really see what's wrong with selling the pictures... If there was blood and gore, I'd have a problem, but if it's a news story, and people are offering to pay for the photos I took, I think I'd take the money.

I don't think it would make me a bad person.

AD

set your desk on fire.

Ahhh, I love you MarcO. Thanks for that little chuckle. LOL

When I first mentioned the temperature I was told to "bring a fucking sweater". Gotta love the Catholic schoolboard. :crazy:

I've got a sleeping bag in my van. It's coming to work with me next time.

Kaidy, just out of curiosity, do you live in your van? Are you co-dependent on your van? Your van comes up in a LOT of conversations.

The way you talk about it, it seems like you're unnaturally attached to it and, not only that, but it seems like you spend way more time in your van than the average person would (even if it's one of those nice ones with swivel seats and carpeting).

"Kaidy, what do you think about the state of things in Iraq?"

"Interesting you should bring that up..I was reminded of this last night as I sat, knitting contently in my van..."

Kaidy, just out of curiosity, do you live in your van?

LMAO!!! Not too far off there SP. I do love the ol' race van. She treats me right. I spend a whole lot of time in that sucker; commuting, making blanket forts, reading, wondering where in the hell I am... Perhaps one day, when we meet, I can give you a tour of "The Ambulance" and you can see what all the fuss is about. :P

Funny that you should mention knitting; I've been known to knit/crochet while stuck in traffic. LOL The best part is, I don't even have a "cool" van by lame hippie standards. It's a freakin' Aerostar dude! WHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Evil Mouse, I concur--if Cheney had a van (especially one with an informative "If this van's a-rockin.." type sign), I'm sure he'd be much happier and wouldn't have to assert his manhood in the form of world conflict.

Kaidy, I look forward to touring The Ambulance one day. Tell me something: Is it Aero-dynamic? bahahahaha. I kill me.

The guy is bleeding this event AND complaining about the whole thing.

I noticed I got Eric Ho's first name wrong, but I'm not correcting it.

Here's some more

Yeah, that's pretty dumb what he's doing... I hadn't read far enough down to hear his other stuff. But the picture-selling thing alone, I still don't have much of a problem with it.

AD

Just to play devil's advocate... Kaidy Mae, if everyone in the office is fine with the temperature except for you, who's playing the "me" card?

I do see your bigger point about your co-workers being selfish about the environment but I couldn't help but see the other perspective as well.

As far as I know they got 300 passengers off the plane in two minutes. That's unfuckingbelievable.

As far as the rest of it I can't help but wonder when wasn't it the ME age. I mean if you were dying of the plague and all somebody could do was splash a little holy water on you wouldn't you be thinking - 'but what about ME'. Or if you were being carted off to a concentration camp wouldn't you be thinking 'this doesn't look good for ME.' Okay those are less than tasteful examples but I often wonder if we're really more self absorbed or if our media culture hasn't simply given our milennia old self absorption a more full iteration.

Just to play devil's advocate... Kaidy Mae, if everyone in the office is fine with the temperature except for you, who's playing the "me" card?

Ollie, I totally see how you could see the hypocrisy in my complaint...BUT, I've talked to all of the employees there and while most are very uncomfortable with the temp., they are more uncomfortable with having to deal with management. Therefore they keep their mouths shut and "bring a fucking sweater". *sigh* I am a contract employee and am not too concerned with office politics and having to be the boss's favourite. The others (who are most likely stuck there for the duration of their working lives) have much more at stake.

Also, I don't think I was playing the "me" card. Yes, the temperature is far too low for me to be comfortable, but I already stated that my concerns were not expressed due to personal discomfort, but rather for reasons of energy conservation. My coworkers that keep the office so cool that they need not refrigerate their lunches are the same ones who ignore the idling bylaw in the winter with their automatic car starters. I wasn't thinking of me, I was trying to encourage others to do what's right for all of us.

Sometimes it really is a legitimate problem, even if only one person is affected.

Me: "John, I'm freezing. Has anyone else complained about being cold?"

John (whose office was on a different floor from mine): "A couple of the women upstairs, yes, but they said it wasn't too bad." [i was downstairs.]

Me: "I've been wearing sweaters for the past three weeks, but it's at the point that I'm having to wear gloves. It's definitely colder now than it was last week. The weather has been warming up, and it's downright hot outside today. I think we might have a problem with the HVAC responding to the increased outdoor temperature but failing to provide a consistent temperature profile throughout the building. The hotter it gets outside, the more lopsided the profile inside becomes. My desk is pretty isolated [ahh, the joys of downsizing] and I'm right under a vent in the centre of the building, so it wouldn't surprise me if the cold air is simply being dumped there. Can we divert that vent or something?"

John: "Hmm. I'll look into it. In the meantime, I'll keep my eyes and ears open."

When John says something like this, he actually means it. Eventually it got so cold that even the beefy guys in the weight room were complaining. It dropped to 60°F in there. By saying something, I helped establish a history for the problem.

As it turned out, the HVAC really *was* buggered, as I suspected. When someone came in to look at the problem, the HVAC plans were nowhere to be found. The system had been modified in the past and the interaction between the old stuff and the new stuff was ... umm ... less than optimal(putting it mildly). It was downright creative, and not in a good way.

I have an acute sensitivity to cold. Ridiculously acute, in fact. I expect to be one of the first people in the room to feel the cold. I have a lot of sweaters and overshirts, and I generally don't leave home without one. Still, if it gets *stupidly* cold and it persists, I'm probably not wrong in believing that it indicates a larger problem. If anything, I've developed a pretty good sense of the difference between "It's just me" and "The HVAC has gone ballistic."

That, and I've studied heat transfer and fluid mechanics. *shrug*

I know this is off topic but it reminds me of when I worked at Talisman and I had the thermostat right by my desk, so I would always adjust it to my liking. One day another manager came along asking me if I had ever seen anyone playing with the temperature.....NO!

The next week I came back to work there was a lock box around it and only the porters could adjust the temperature. I guess they showed me who was boss!