Shainhouse Booking & Cincinnati Rec's Presents:

Smokestack

Friday, October 14th

The Casbah (at La Luna)

306 King St. W @ Queen

Hamilton, ON

w/ MARK WILSON (solo)

19+, 9PM show, $8/door

Ann Arbor, Michigan�s own Smokestack has seen plenty of smoke filled bars and clubs as they have grown into a impressively eclectic rock quartet. But where they differ from many improvisational acts is that these four guys are equally comfortable playing funked-out jazz standards or intricate neo-classical instrumentals. For Smokestack, music is a way of life, and each style breathes unique energy into its original sound. Members of the band have studied under such legends as Roy Haynes, Rufus Reid, Terry Lynne Carrington, John Clayton, Dennis Wilson, and Matt Michaels as well as played in Latin, bluegrass, funk, and jazz bands. Despite Smokestack�s dedication to the art of improvisation, they place equal attention on song writing and lyrical content.

After getting their start at small clubs around Ann Arbor, Michigan in late 1999, Smokestack has generated a huge buzz outside of their home state. The band has played over 150 shows last year including sharing the stage with such acts as moe., Karl Denson�s Tiny Universe, Umphrey�s McGee, Particle, the New Deal, Dark Star Orchestra, The Slip, JGB, ekoostik hookah, Oteil and the Peacemakers, Stangefolk, and The Shantee. Along with that, Smokestack has played such famed venues like the Newport Music Hall in Columbus, Ohio, Tobacco Road in New York City and The Starlight in Ft. Collins, Colorado, as well as headlining both Illinois� Summercamp and Brantford�s Come Together summer music festivals.

�They obviously like to improvise, as evidenced by the band�s two releases to date, the most recent being the sterling live effort Chasing the Hippo. The disc highlights the band�s expansive sound which, although rooted in jazz, saunters across other musical boundaries such as rock, Latin and even bluegrass. Utilizing basic guitar/bass/drums/ keyboard format, the band has a propensity for mature melody and texture even when stretching out instrumentally.�

Mick Skidmore, Relix Magazine � New York, NY

�They are all highly capable musicians and this paves the way for a performance that is constantly evolving and highly experimental.�

The Northern Express- Traverse City, Mich.

�These are people who have studied their instruments and it comes out in their performance. They know what they are doing. My advice is this: go see Smokestack while their tickets are still cheap.�

RhythmAndGroove.net

Having already received rave reviews during their 2004-5 appearances with in Hamilton and at the Come Together Music Festival in Brantford, Smokestack are excited to continue to build on the buzz that has already been created in Southern Ontario.

www.smokestack.org

Cincinnati Records

To listen to some SMOKESTACK, you can stream or d/l from Archive. A kickass show is linked below:

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=26983

Edited by Guest

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am so excited for this one, as I am sure Del is (Smokestack are going to be bigger than Phish and the Dead combined! Ha Ha !!) Hopefully the band can come back to Alexis's late night party, they are some of the nicest musicians that I have met (next to the Umphrey's guys) They are nothing like those pretentious jerks from Burt Neilson.....

bands are always welcome at my afterparty....except those pretentious jerks from BNB.

margey: i'm toying with the idea of doing something for a canada day/alexis' bday bash next summer. and that sexy party shirt did make its way into cully's possession. but don't worry, there are lots more to choose from. the basement holds many...MANY treasures.

• 3 weeks later...