Jambands.ca

You kids and yer darn, new fangled fashions....

Patchoulia

Every year, "fashion" baffles me even more thoroughly than it did the previous year.

This year, there's one item that has become pervasive around Toronto that I absolutely abhor.

It seems that it doesn't matter if you're young or old, a fashionista or an Old Navy aficionado, everyone is wearing this butt-ugly slipper/mesh/sparkly shoe thing.

I'm not sure from whence my disgust comes, but I just don't like these things:

Mesh_Slipper.jpg

The other piece of footwear I've seen this year that left me nonplussed was the moccassin front/high heel back. I call this a Shoe Mullet (or, a Mullet Shoe, if you prefer).

The front says: Hey, let's chill by the campfire, roast some marshmellows.

The back says: My thong is riding up and it's making me spill my martini.

I'm getting so old.

Thankfully, I'm becoming more charming with each and every day. :D

im sick of it all.

what kills me the most, though, are the provacative saying over the chests of pre-teen girls who, really, have no chest. and the parents who buy them the shit. or give them the money to buy the shit. lets be honest, they dont have jobs... unless they're turnin' tricks under the stairwell between classes. which, the way they present themselves, wouldnt surprise me one iota. i saw a new one, for me at least today, this time on someone who could pull it off, but that doesnt make it any less lame... the shirt said "The G P".. and where the space is in "gap", the shirt was low-cut and "torn" open to expose the cleavage.. and another thing, since when are "new" ripped and torn jeans worth $60???? they're ripped and torn!!!!!

hey, SP, thanks for the threads today.. im getting alot out! ;)

I don't own a pair but I can't really see a problem with them. I like affordable shoes, I like colour, I like that they are a practical show for summer in that they keep you cool and eliminate toe sweat and hell I love that FLAT shoes are in vogue. Woman are tortured with shoe fashion - heels and pointy toes, so I say bring on the flats!

The thing that really urks me with todays youth is they appear to be a pack of clones. I work at Value Village and anyone I see come in under 19 wears the same sparkly shoes or old school sneakers, the same brand new ripped, cufffed jeans, a studded belt, some emo band t-shirts and usually sporting a hair style which consists of the black and blonde combination. BOYS AND GIRLS!! Maybe it's just Burlington??

I don't own a pair but I can't really see a problem with them. I like affordable shoes, I like colour, I like that they are a practical show for summer in that they keep you cool and eliminate toe sweat and hell I love that FLAT shoes are in vogue. Woman are tortured with shoe fashion - heels and pointy toes, so I say bring on the flats!

I am ALL about comfort. I love my Birks (or would if I hadn't abandoned them at Muddentry and have yet to find a suitable replacement pair). I loooove my flip-flops.

It's just something about those slipper/mesh/sparkly things that rub me the slipper/mesh/sparkly wrong way. Like I said, I don't know why I find them so repugnant. That's just the way I feel.

I don't own a pair but I can't really see a problem with them. I like affordable shoes' date=' I like colour, I like that they are a practical show for summer in that they keep you cool and eliminate toe sweat and hell I love that FLAT shoes are in vogue. Woman are tortured with shoe fashion - heels and pointy toes, so I say bring on the flats![/quote']

I am ALL about comfort.

Cheers to that! These things are actually too flat... no arch support and not even that foamy sole that you get with the el-cheapo flip-flops. No good for my knock-kneed, archless stance. Here’s the other hot footwear item of the summer…

stacy4_small.jpg

I must have seen a hundred different pair at Hillside this year. FlyMyKiteHigh says that all the Doctors wear them around the hospital… at least these must be a bit more practical.

those shoes in the photo there are the BOMB!!! theyre made in australia i beleive, lots of the headies in BC are sporting them, theyre wicked, good drainage for river shoes, VERY comfy, good arch, and cheap

nothing wrong with those

they dont look like kluumpen to me at all dude (dutch shoes)

I've tried to love those shoes, alas, I cannot. I don't really care what others put on their feet, but I can't imagine every hoppin' into a pair. My flip flops are WAY more comfy.

But speaking of ridiculous fashion...

I made a promise to myself a long time ago never to own a pair of pants with something written across the ass. I'm with Guigsy, who the fuck buys thongs and ripped clothing for their kids?

The rubber or plastic clogs are key in hospitals for surgeons who have to have sterile shoes and clothes for surgery. Apparently these are comfortable shoes from health care professionals who are running around the hospital all day. They also wear the plastic Birks that others wear for gardening.

I have been tempted to get some but they are really bright and look a bit like inflatable rubber boats for your feet. I bet they are more comfortable than flip flops (talk about no arch support!!).

Cassia's virtually impossible to buy footwear for, but these things she bought on spec and loves.

God bless flat footwear. Being without any footwear at all would be great (even if people, for the oddest of reasons, look at you funny). I knew a guy at U of T who hadn't worn shoes in about 10 years. He'd come up from California/Nevada, where you can get away with a it a little easier; what got him in the end, almost (he still never gave up, in spite of it) was the winter - not the cold, which the callouses on his feet could deal with, but the salt they pour all over the roads, which had the net effect of cracking the hell out of his skin (ouch). He, and the Bedouin we met in Egypt, are my pedestrian role models.

If only jackasses didn't hurl bottles out of their car windows, we could all probably manage barefoot better than we do now.

There's my public service announcement for the day.