Jambands.ca

I need a stock broker

AD

Are you looking to exercise the options and keep the shares? The company I work for sometimes gives options, and allows me to exercise them "cashlessly", which means I fill out a form, and (a week or so later) they give me a cheque for the proceeds (without me ever owning the shares).

Aloha,

Brad

If you're planning on setting up a portfolio, I'd strongly recommmend shopping around for a rep. rather than just going with whoever your bank branch supplies. I went with my bank and have been pretty unimpressed with the quality of service and expertise they've offered. Nice enough people, but I don't feel like I'm getting anything other than transactional support (ie. processing my deposits), rather than expert advice.

Thinking about cashing out soon. I like the looks of www.ethicalfunds.com for investment options (you need to deal with a 3rd party to buy into the funds though). They seem to perform quite well and all their investments are put through a screening process for Socially Responsible Investing.

Enjoy.

oh yeah, and for a good info resource on investing in canada, check out:

www.globefund.com for funds

www.globeinvestor.com for stocks.

Edited by Guest

hahah, i didn't mention it was made out of platinum?

:)

ad

i should have guessed. and if you are indeed looking to invest money and sleep at night, i would give serious thought to ethical funds. on the other hand, if you have given up all hope of things getting better and would like to make a profit while rome burns, there's always the Defense Index.

If you're planning on setting up a portfolio, I'd strongly recommmend shopping around for a rep. rather than just going with whoever your bank branch supplies. I went with my bank and have been pretty unimpressed with the quality of service and expertise they've offered. Nice enough people, but I don't feel like I'm getting anything other than transactional support (ie. processing my deposits), rather than expert advice.

Thinking about cashing out soon. I like the looks of www.ethicalfunds.com for investment options (you need to deal with a 3rd party to buy into the funds though). They seem to perform quite well and all their investments are put through a screening process for Socially Responsible Investing.

Enjoy.

oh yeah, and for a good info resource on investing in canada, check out:

www.globefund.com for funds

www.globeinvestor.com for stocks.

Dumb question - how do I find the third party? And what sort of fees shoudl I expect?

really, the best way to get a broker is through word of mouth. If you know some folks that invest, they might have someone that they really like. Otherwise you can use the yellow pages I guess, or the net. As for how fees work with an independant broker, I'm not sure. With banks the fee is built into the fund (ie. they get 2% or whatever off your returns so you never actually see the money go). With stock purchases, I have no clue whatsoever. Again,t he globe sites above probably give better info that the minimal understanding I have of the financial world.

For a basic primer on starting with investment funds click here: http://www.globefund.com/centre/GettingStarted01.html

Don't see one for stocks.

Edited by Guest