Jambands.ca

Newcastle agrees to fee for Michael Owen

SevenSeasJim

Sports Ticker

8/24/2005 9:16:37 AM

NEWCASTLE, England (Ticker) - Newcastle United has agreed to a club-record transfer fee with Real Madrid for striker Michael Owen.

The former Liverpool star will have to decide whether he will accept the deal to return to the English Premier League with the struggling North England side.

The price has not been disclosed. The club's current record fee is the $18.36 million paid for Alan Shearer in 1996.

"Newcastle United have met Real Madrid's asking price and conditions," read a statement on the club's website. "The agreed fee will be a record transfer fee for Newcastle United. It is now up to the player and his advisor."

Owen, 25, declared himself willing to spend a season on loan at St James' Park if his preferred option of a return to Liverpool failed to materialize.

"I said that my ideal situation was to start the season in the Real Madrid team and if not I would prefer to return to Liverpool." Owen said. "The president understood and said he would try to help me achieve this.

"If the transfer cannot be finalized in time, I have agreed to go to Newcastle United but only on a one-year loan. I need to be playing regularly in a World Cup year."

Owen scored 158 goals in 297 games for the Reds, before leaving the club for Madrid last summer.

Newcastle is desperate to recruit a striker and has been held scoreless in its first two games of the Premiership season with Shearer on his own up front.

zoinks, looks like this is a done deal now

the magpies certainly need a scorer although the service might be more of a concern at this point, you'd think.

oh well Souness will be gone soon enough if Mickey doesn't turn his fortunes around... shame he left Liverpool the year they won the highest honour in European football only to end up on a team that may very well be struggling to avoid relegation. Part of the story here is that Lpool sold him for 8M + a crappy utility player, Nunez. A year later and Newcastle are buying him for 16M... pretty outrageous markup, really.

Oh well, all the best to Little Mickey, I say...