Jambands.ca

So, are we gonna have a jambands.ca fantasy hockey league?

Blane

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say a live draft is out as it is nearly impossible to get everyone online at the same time.

Personally I don't like autodrafts. It completely takes away any control you have of creating your own team.

I suggest either a list where we each pick 20 players and set up the league as a points based system. In this scenerio many people will have similar players but you have control over who you pick.

or

An email draft where every player is only picked once. It would take a little longer but I would be happy to moderate the draft and send updates once the draft started.

'List Draft' is essentially a "list" of players to choose from.

For instance:

Imagine an ALL-TIME list

1 - Wayne Gretzky

2 - Bobby Orr

3 - Gordie Howe

Take one of those three for the upcoming season. Who is going to get the most points?

There's your essence.......(personally, I think List Pools are a blast, even though I voted elsewhere. They end up being fair for everyone.)

The last few years every pool I have been in has been an autopick draft. I have come to like the challenge of managing the team you are drafted, and it should be noted as well that Yahoo autopick drafts do give you the option of preranking players before the draft happens

If we went with a live draft, anyone who isnt there to make their picks is automatically assigned the next available highest ranked player by the automated system. So as long as you preranked your players to override the computer rankings, you would stillhave a little control over how your team got picked should you not be able to attend

Live Draft - in this format usually every team is present to draft live. A random draft order is set and away you go. It is ususally completed in a couple of hours. It's my favorite type of draft however in this instance it will be too hard to get everyone together.

Autopick - Basically the computer drafts for us using a predetermined ranking system. A site such as Yahoo will have their own rankings and you can modify them to your liking. It can take quite a bit of time to rank players, especially after the top 100 or so. I find you are basically handed a team and you make do with what you have. It's still fun to play the year but the draft is a non issue. Personally I like to brag the players I picked kicked someones ass, but that just me ;)

List - We preset a number of players. Say 10 Forwards 6 Defense 2 Goalies. Everyone selects their own players and hands in a list. Many people will have similar players. For example it's likley everyone will select P Forsberg. The winner of this type is usually someone who picks a couple of sleeper players.

Email - We would set a random draft order. People would each pick one at a time and email their pick to all the other teams or email it to a moderator and they would send it to the participants. Its a little longer but everyone would be in complete control of who they draft.

Guest Low Roller

I'm not sure what I would prefer, but given that I will be in the UK with a five hour time delay, I think a live draft would be impossible. The autodraft may be easiest, but the least rewarding to the ego.

In which case I vote for e-mail draft, but there will have to be a certain time restriction on each turn otherwise it will take forever...

Edited by Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

24 hours per pick is waaaaay too long... we'll never finish. It should be 24 hours per round if anything.

What kind of scoring system are we looking at? Straight up points plus shutouts for goalies?

We can have any kind of acoring system people want but I think we should keep it pretty simple.

Goals and Assists for F and D

Wins and Shutouts for goalies

We could always give 2 points for Goals and 1 for assists.

or something like 2 points for a shorthanded or OT goal or award an extra point for a hattrick.

We can hammer this out once we determine the type of league.

I was thinking of running this poll until the 31, but I think maybe we should end it Monday and then get decided on which catagories to use. Then get the draft going by Sept 1.

The season starts Oct 5, so we would have plenty of time for an email draft if need be.

Yeah, I voted earlier for an email pool, but it REALLY should be a list. We are dealing with a bunch of spacey hippies that wont even honour their contract if they lose...........except for me, of course.

I got Badams covered for his end if he loses cause I am sure none of you want Madonna's Dont Cry For Me Argentina soundtrack, or whatever it is called.

5 cd's or dvd's from each loser or 10? No more than 10 please (read the paragraph above please.)