Jambands.ca

New Orleans is Sinking

guigsy

I just started paying attention to this story and it's unbelievable. Imagine how horrible it must be for the people trapped in the Superdome. CNN has video footage on the web site of a man describing how he lost hold of his wife as the flooding split his house in half. It's a disaster film come to life. This is so sad.

WOW-The levee broke! I was listening to CBC this morning and they were on the phone with a women who was in her house and had taken stock of things and thought that things weren't so awful. She had lost part of her roof but did not speak of flooding or worse.

But then as the day went on I kept seeing headlines pop up regarding things not being good. I just couldn't get either that Zepplin Tune or that Tragically Hip song out of my head.

Maybe I am being a pessimist but I am glad that I saw the city of the saints at least once as it was and am horrified that there will likely be quite the historical devastation that happens as a result of this as well, the city will never quite be the same. maybe I am wrong but I suppose there is always the evolution of cities over time, forced or not.

Ahh what a city. Still 80% under water.

I'm sure there will be a place to donate money. Maybe we can do one of them group paypal thingies.

I've been following this all day. I can't get over the amount of people that didn't get out. At the same time, I'm sure there were alot of people that had no way to get out. Did the gov't provide free transportation?

Here's a link to one rescuers assessment of the evacuation efforts.

I was personally questionning what officials were doing to ensure that people with no mode of transportation or money could evacuate during a mandatory evacuation order.

The poorest 20% (you can argue with the number -- 10%? 18%? no one knows) of the city was left behind to drown. This was the plan. Forget the sanctimonious bullshit about the bullheaded people who wouldn't leave. The evacuation plan was strictly laissez-faire. It depended on privately owned vehicles, and on having ready cash to fund an evacuation. The planners knew full well that the poor, who in new orleans are overwhelmingly black, wouldn't be able to get out. The resources -- meaning, the political will -- weren't there to get them out.

Guest Low Roller

Some unbelievable pictures... I wonder if the US has any money left to help the victims after their Donald Trump-like spending spree on the war on Iraq...

I've had the Tragically Hip song stuck in my head too. Problem is, you won't hear it on the radio (at least not in Ottawa): www.ottawasun.com/News/OttawaAndRegion/2005/08/31/1195132-sun.html

One more thing. I didn't know the guys at Popular Mechanics were into the Hip (check out the publication date... creepy): www.popularmechanics.com/science/research/1282151.html

Now let us open our hymn books to a little ditty by brother John Fogarty...

I hear hurricanes a-blowing.

I know the end is coming soon.

I fear rivers overflowing.

I hear the voice of rage and ruin.

Yes, it positively breaks the heart.

Even from up here, you can imagine the impending impact: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0508/katrina_goes12_big.jpg

...and I actually winced when I first saw this one: http://www.anthonymontalbano.com/Katrina1615z-050829-1kg12.jpg

Keep you ears and eyes peeled for any fundraising efforts in your neighbourhood (I am thinking about it, but won't be able to until later on in Sept.). If nothing's going on near you, get in touch with the Red Cross and chip in: www.redcross.ca/article.asp?id=014588&tid=032

Every little bit helps.