Jambands.ca

Mayor of New Orleans is PISSED

FairySari

I spent a few days in NOLA a few years ago and it is an awful place. The French Quarter is six blocks squared and is quite nice, but it surrounded by poor, mostly Black ghettos that have been completely ignored by the US social service system. It is a cliched term, but fantastic art and music arises from squalid places and NOLA epitomized that. Their murder rate is 4th highest (relative size) in the US and most of Lousiana is fairly impoverished. 30% of NOLA lived below the poverty line before the Hurricane.

None of this surprises me. It saddens me to the core because these desperate people are just that. Not necessarily bad people, but utterly desperate and carnal needs take precedent when faced with that type of desperation.

On another note, the US media does melodramatically report things and this is the coverage we're getting. Not to say this is awful, cause it is, but emotions can often wash away common sense. I'm drifting. Off to Stratford.

they should make mayor Nagin president. he sounds like art neville...totally cool, rational guy, and in total dismay. he kept pointing out that the cleanup in new york happenned instantly (too fast to forensically examine?? - my comments, not his :) ) while cleaning up new orleans has just barely started five days in.

no wonder new york got so much attention. after all, you can't make money waging a War On Weather :)