Jambands.ca

Letter to Bush from Micheal Moore

badams

Friday, September 2nd, 2005

Dear Mr. Bush:

Any idea where all our helicopters are? It's Day 5 of Hurricane Katrina and thousands remain stranded in New Orleans and need to be airlifted. Where on earth could you have misplaced all our military choppers? Do you need help finding them? I once lost my car in a Sears parking lot. Man, was that a drag.

Also, any idea where all our national guard soldiers are? We could really use them right now for the type of thing they signed up to do like helping with national disasters. How come they weren't there to begin with?

Last Thursday I was in south Florida and sat outside while the eye of Hurricane Katrina passed over my head. It was only a Category 1 then but it was pretty nasty. Eleven people died and, as of today, there were still homes without power. That night the weatherman said this storm was on its way to New Orleans. That was Thursday! Did anybody tell you? I know you didn't want to interrupt your vacation and I know how you don't like to get bad news. Plus, you had fundraisers to go to and mothers of dead soldiers to ignore and smear. You sure showed her!

I especially like how, the day after the hurricane, instead of flying to Louisiana, you flew to San Diego to party with your business peeps. Don't let people criticize you for this -- after all, the hurricane was over and what the heck could you do, put your finger in the dike?

And don't listen to those who, in the coming days, will reveal how you specifically reduced the Army Corps of Engineers' budget for New Orleans this summer for the third year in a row. You just tell them that even if you hadn't cut the money to fix those levees, there weren't going to be any Army engineers to fix them anyway because you had a much more important construction job for them -- BUILDING DEMOCRACY IN IRAQ!

On Day 3, when you finally left your vacation home, I have to say I was moved by how you had your Air Force One pilot descend from the clouds as you flew over New Orleans so you could catch a quick look of the disaster. Hey, I know you couldn't stop and grab a bullhorn and stand on some rubble and act like a commander in chief. Been there done that.

There will be those who will try to politicize this tragedy and try to use it against you. Just have your people keep pointing that out. Respond to nothing. Even those pesky scientists who predicted this would happen because the water in the Gulf of Mexico is getting hotter and hotter making a storm like this inevitable. Ignore them and all their global warming Chicken Littles. There is nothing unusual about a hurricane that was so wide it would be like having one F-4 tornado that stretched from New York to Cleveland.

No, Mr. Bush, you just stay the course. It's not your fault that 30 percent of New Orleans lives in poverty or that tens of thousands had no transportation to get out of town. C'mon, they're black! I mean, it's not like this happened to Kennebunkport. Can you imagine leaving white people on their roofs for five days? Don't make me laugh! Race has nothing -- NOTHING -- to do with this!

You hang in there, Mr. Bush. Just try to find a few of our Army helicopters and send them there. Pretend the people of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast are near Tikrit.

Yours,

Michael Moore

MMFlint@aol.com

www.MichaelMoore.com

P.S. That annoying mother, Cindy Sheehan, is no longer at your ranch. She and dozens of other relatives of the Iraqi War dead are now driving across the country, stopping in many cities along the way. Maybe you can catch up with them before they get to DC on September 21st.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In what part of that open letter did Mr. Moore promote himself in any way? He mentioned himself twice, once about losing his car in a Sears parking lot and twice about being in Florida when the hurricane went over it.

Wow, what a shameless self promoter....Maybe you could point out to me that part of the letter where he "promotes himself".

It's his tone. It's not simply about getting the idea out there, it is also about showing people just how damn witty and sarcastic he can be.

I just wish he could take an idea beyond the highschool mentality of hey look how fucking cool I am.

His Tone???? He's pissed at his government for dropping the ball once again. He's questioning his government which should be done.

But really, if people want to point the finger and blame, they don't have to look any further than themselve. It was the majority that put that putz in the White House. His actions of dealing with 9/11 and his actions since showed the rest of the world how incompetant he is as a commander in chief. Now in his second term he's caught fumbling and muddled. But again, the majority gave him a second term. What made them think that he's be any better of a CIC during his second term is anybody's guess. Now the majority is "unsatisfied" with his performance. And at last poll, for whatever those are worth, the number stood at 62% of "unsatisfied" Americans. Well, they ended up with the person they put in place.

Sure, Michael Moore can wax poetically, but so can the rest of us. Just look at me! ;):P;)

Still doesn't make him a self promoter. He's accomplished more as an activist than just about anyone else I can think of. He's been effective because he's sarastic, funny, and can get a point across in a way that the masses can understand and relate to. He's been able to present his ideas and messages in ways that make the bad things he talks about more palatable. That's why he has succeeded where others have failed. He's far from a shameless self-promoter.

[quote=can'o'phish

His Tone???? He's pissed at his government for dropping the ball once again. He's questioning his government which should be done.

I absolutely agree with this, but I read that letter and it doesn't make me go wow he's right we need to hold this government accountable. My reaction is more like BURN!

We all know that Michael Moore has a personal hate on for GW (as he should), but if all he can do is mock him after the fact, how is that really helpful. He kind of reminds me of a glorified ambulance chaser.

It's his tone. It's not simply about getting the idea out there, it is also about showing people just how damn witty and sarcastic he can be.

you're exactly, right. if he used the more monotone grade 12 high school math teacher approach, im sure he'd do a much better job at capturing his audience and keeping them absolutely rivetted. it's appalling that he has a personality, to go along with his cause.

You know I subscribed to the michael moore criticism for his tone, approach, and mudslinging, and in many ways I still agree that his occasional lapses into unprofessionalism cuts into his message BUT after having thought about it, why the hell should he apologise for his delivery?

And what's moore, I also think that some of the people who focus in on this aspect of Michael Moore are simply trying to divert attention from the message, much like the way CNN and FOX slagged off Cindy Sheehan for "aligning herself with leftists like MoveOn.org". It's like changing the subject when the subject at hand shuold be belted out as loud as possible from as many people as possible from every soapbox available.

Edited by Guest
mooron

Unfortunately...

The political arm of the right has done a great job of marginalizing a well-intentioned and intelligent man.

Liberal media my ass.

Go back over his work and try and identify his "bias". It's always been toward people. Even when he gets as sarcastic as he does here his thesis is always about people in need.

Just because someone (right-wing media bias anyone?) says his thesis is a ruse doesn't make it so.

To this day no one has ever finitely impeached his facts. And they have tried.

His implications get extreme (but he's never advocated assassination as far as I know) and arguably out of hand...but I remember someone implying that Iraq was going nuclear.

Anyway...

Jef

You know I subscribed to the michael moore criticism for his tone, approach, and mudslinging, and in many ways I still agree that his occasional lapses into unprofessionalism cuts into his message BUT after having thought about it, why the hell should he apologise for his delivery?

And what's more, I also think that some of the people who focus in on this aspect of Michael Moore are simply trying to divert attention from the message, much the way CNN and FOX slagged of Cindy Sheehan for "aligning herself with leftists like MoveOn.org". It's like changing the subject when the subject at hand shuold be belted out as loud as possible from as many people as possible from every soapbox available.

attacking the messenger to distract from the message is a debating weapon of the losing team...if michael moore is such a dink, then where are the people making a convincing case for the other side?

agreed that moore has massaged the truth for dramatic purpose, but the fundametal truth of what he's generally on about needs to be pointed out. no offense to the american contingent here, many of whom i find to be at least as left leaning as the rest of the folks here, but if people are buying the cnnmsnbccbs bs that the tv news hands out, then you really don't have much hope of getting their attention with a well reasoned argument about the facts at hand.

chomsky talks about the lack of invitations to speak on tv in Manufacturing Consent, and basically says that the big breaking news story generally gets 2 minutes at the top of the news, with subsequent items getting even less. so the tv news viewer has been set up to want or need the gist of the story in less than two minutes. moore is a very shrewd guy for reealizing this and making what amounts to left wing infotainment. good on him for turning the other team's weapons back on them! woodward and bernstein are now network news functionaries, and there's really nobody in mainstream media doing their job any longer...i would prefer that he embellished things less, but he does brilliantly at encapsulating complex cencepts in a straightforward manner. people that want more of the story will dig into his sources, and folks that won't at least have the basic idea right.

as always, your mileage will vary :)

Edited by Guest
why didn't i take typing in school?

and Moore himself has obviously done so much more to help the victims of this disaster than the government - doesnt he have anything better to do with his time than try to get publicity by complaining and criticizing

You honestly think that the only thing Moore has done was compose this letter without making a substantial donation to the relief efforts?

i guess what i despise most about michael moore is his opportunism. not even one week into one of the biggest natural disasters to ever hit north america and the man has already found a way to manipulate the situation to best suit his political agenda... even worse, is that he has half of you all politicizing this mess as well! sheesh! enough is enough... michael moore needs to start lugging some sandbags around and put down the megaphone for once and for all.

furthermore, all of you who feed into this slob's word as truth, need to remember to judge a man on what he does and not what he says.

manipulate the situation to best suit his political agenda... even worse, is that he has half of you all politicizing this mess as well! enough is enough... michael moore needs to start lugging some sandbags around and put down the megaphone for once and for all..

just curiosity here..

but what politcal agenda are you refering to?. i was unaware he was running for office??

he uses freedom of speech to get his POINT/message across.. but i fail to see a political agenda here...

now i do agree he should pitch in and i hope that some one like him would.. as should bill gates and every other rich ass in the states..

furthermore, all of you who feed into this slob's word as truth, need to remember to judge a man on what he does and not what he says.

again i dont see how portraing your commander in cheif playing golf while talking about terrorism is buying into truth more then it is showing the public exactly who they have in charge..

but you do make very good points...

judge by actions and not words.. .

so lets look at that..

the commander in cheif says alot of things that havent been fact.. i could drop the WMD point here.

however where is the results.. 8billion$ worth of action that would be better spent in his own backyard.. helping his "brothers and sisters"

what you say is oh so true.. JUDGE BY ACTIONS NOT WORDS...

michael moore is a film maker..

film makers have the right to say what they will

GWB is the president..

presidents are supposed to act in their countrys best interest... i also fail to see him doing this..

Edited by Guest

what he does is get word out, communicate, spark debate, get people thinking. thats a lot more than most people do. communication is the first step to changing anything.

I am sorry I read that letter and it really does not come across as genuine. I think he could gives a rats ass about the people other than they are fauder for his agenda. How does Michael Moore using the same under-handed tactics as those on the other side make him a hero. Micheal Moore has become a brand. The Michael Moore brand of social commentary. He states what is obvious to the left leaning sector of society, in a smart-ass way that yes can be entertaining (Shit he turned it into $100 million dollars at the box-office for his last film). He is an opportunist who jumps on a hot-button issue, provides no real insight and walks away a very rich man.