Jambands.ca

how do I make clamato juice?

MarcO

ok, so this is a last minute attempt to figure this out - my google searches haven't been entirely effective.

The Clamato juice in the stores tend to have MSG in them. I don't react well to that shit and so I am looking to make my own clamato juice for some Caeser's for CTMF this weekend.

Clamato juice, near as I can tell, is tomato juice and clam juice or clam broth. Any tips as to ratios of the two, seasonings, etc?

This really is last minute b/c as of an hour from now I'll be offline until Monday. So any quick tips would be welcome, thank you.

Try this configuration:

1 jigger of Vodka (more for added drunkinness)

3 oz tomato juice

3 oz clam juice

3/4 tbsp horseradish

1 splash fresh lemon juice

Worcestershire sauce

Tabasco® sauce

I got this from a 'acapulco calm digger' recipe, only they use tequila for it. Obviously you'd sub in the vodka for the caesar.

They say to subsititue the clam and tomato juice for clamato, so I figure it goes both ways.

I hated Caesar's until...... about a month or two ago.

Now I lay awake at night staring at the ceiling, just thinking about them.

I figure as far as this weekend goes, if I drink enough Caesar's, I won't have to eat.

waht kind of spices do you all think go in it (besides s+p of course)?

Seriously, now, what the fuck is up with clamato juice? I've ONLY ever seen it in Canada, and EEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW is all I can say. Where didja guys come up with that one? I'm down with the ketchup chips, and I'm down with poutine. Tomato juice works just fine without going and clammin' it all up!

Steve

Story behind the Ceasar is that The Palliser Hotel a few decades ago had a surplus of tomato juice and clam juice for their seafood dishes. They held a contest for their bartenders to come up with a drink to use up this surplus and Voila, birth of the Ceasar! Gotta say, when you're out drinkin' and hungry but still want to keep on gettin' soused, a Ceasar is the way to go!!! MMM MMM Spicey Clammy-tomato Goodness!!!

I don't know about the caesar, but I can tell you what I put in my bloody mary's

these are all to taste...

Salt

Pepper

Celery Salt

Cayenne (or other crushed pepper)

Bit o' (Dill) pickle juice (as was mentioned)

small amount of horseradish

Garlic (and/or) Onion powder

And you can keep going with the spices... I used to work at a bar, and when people would order Bloody's the bartenders would bring the tin back to the kitchen and wait for me to bring it back out! I would imagine that all that would go well in a caeser too!

S/C

It'll be easier to work out the spice amounts in small batches (like 1 glass) and then expand it to make bulk amounts for the w/e...

Edited by Guest

Story behind the Ceasar is that The Palliser Hotel a few decades ago had a surplus of tomato juice and clam juice for their seafood dishes. They held a contest for their bartenders to come up with a drink to use up this surplus and Voila, birth of the Ceasar! Gotta say, when you're out drinkin' and hungry but still want to keep on gettin' soused, a Ceasar is the way to go!!! MMM MMM Spicey Clammy-tomato Goodness!!!

I am waiting for bradm to verify these facts! ;):P

Try this configuration:

1 jigger of Vodka (more for added drunkinness)

3 oz tomato juice

3 oz clam juice

3/4 tbsp horseradish

1 splash fresh lemon juice

Worcestershire sauce

Tabasco® sauce

this looks okay, but as i said less clam juice than tomato- i'd say 4 parts tomato to 1 part clam juice. you definately need celery salt in there and maybe a little pepper

pickle juice = gold

Here’s what I am thinking:

4 parts tomato juice

1 part clam juice*

dash of pickle juice

pinch of celery salt

pinch of brown sugar

squeeze of fresh lemon or lime juice

salt

pepper

horseradish to taste

ridiculous amount of vodka

dashes of worcestershire sauce and tobasco**

* about this: what do you think is best – do I actually use the clam water from the can itself (and reserve the clams), or would it be better to whiz up some clams (and add water – maybe the clam water - if need be?)

** I don’t have tobasco at home – would Frank’s Hot Sauce do?

Also, I am concerned about the colour and texture. One thought that came to mind was adding some tomato paste to the mixture, for colour and richness. What do you think about that?

This is stupid because I have to go soon, but really, thanks for all the responses, you boozies!

* about this: what do you think is best – do I actually use the clam water from the can itself (and reserve the clams), or would it be better to whiz up some clams (and add water – maybe the clam water - if need be?)

MarcO, just a suggestion but if I were you I would not attempt to make your own clam juice as this could lead to some spoiled and unpleasant trips to the portapotties. Try your local grocery store, seafood shop or delicatessen for actual clam juice. Strange as it sounds, it is sold as just that.