Jambands.ca

how do I make clamato juice?

MarcO

this is awesome - I'll definitely look for clam juice, I am sure at least the Locke Street Asian market will have it. They have everything.

I'll check back into this thread in about a hlaf-hour.

Steve - second drink is for you dude. First one is for private reasons.

Ok, it's for Booche.

Hey Steve:

For what it's worth, I'm practically a non-drinker of alcohol; mainly because I just find it too gross to drink enough of it to have any effect, so I just gave up on it.

That said, the only drink I truly enjoy is a Caesar. (I also love shellfish, though.)

The last time I drank (nearly a year ago) I managed to down six double Caesars on an empty stomach; and to say the least it certainly did have an "effect". I could never have drank that much of any other drink I know of; just because I can't stomach it.

One more bit of Canadiana: "Caesar" is also a fantastic song by Bob Loblaw (although I think they actually call it "Siezer".)

Hmmm... Well, that being said, I have pretty much given up on the booze myself... And although I would never drink a 'virgin' almost anything, I will make that exception with a bloody mary. Essentially it's just a glorified tomato juice, but DAMN! it's good! Even without the Vodka

Fuck, I'll never forget at the Mudcock's wedding, I asked the bartender to whip me up a bloody mary, and what I got, essentially, was a caeser. I think I went back there and was like, what the fuck did you put in here, it tastes fucking rotten!?! That's when I found out about clamato... Seriously, I'd NEVER heard of that shit before then... I don't know, maybe the whole bad experience, or dislike of it comes from it being NOT AT ALL what I was expecting when I took a long slow drink of it?!?

Steve

Edited by Guest

MarcO, your last ingredient and ratio list looks like exactly how I'd do it. Clam juice is readily available in Chinese groceries and Loblaws.

I guess Franks would be okay in it. My favorite in Ceasars though is call Hot and Horny. (Of course my firewall at work prevents me from finding a picture of it) ;)

Let us know how it goes.

Story behind the Ceasar is that The Palliser Hotel a few decades ago had a surplus of tomato juice and clam juice for their seafood dishes. They held a contest for their bartenders to come up with a drink to use up this surplus and Voila, birth of the Ceasar! Gotta say, when you're out drinkin' and hungry but still want to keep on gettin' soused, a Ceasar is the way to go!!! MMM MMM Spicey Clammy-tomato Goodness!!!

I thought it was "Ceasar's Steak House" here in Calgary that invented such a wonderful little concoction. Huh. Now I too anxiously await Bradm's verification...

From Alberta Inventors :

The Caesar

The caesar, for many Albertans, is a truly Canadian cocktail. Also known as the bloody caesar, the beverage is similar to the bloody mary in that both use tomato juice, vodka and worcestershire sauce. While not a technological innovation, the caesar represents Alberta’s foothold in great achievements in the history of the food and drink—it was invented by Walter Chell, a bartender in Calgary in the late 1960s.

Clams, for the uninitiated, are a necessary component to the caesar as a flavouring for the tomato juice. Why did Chell think of clams? Chell wanted to make a drink that could compete with the tomatoes, spices and seafood, featured ingredients from his restaurant's Italian menu. Spaghetti Vongele, spaghetti with clams, in particular, seemed to have many of the desired qualities. After months of trial and error, Chell crushed clams into a "nectar" that he then mixed with tomato juice. He added spice, and worcestershire sauce for sweetness. Keeping with the Italian theme, Chell also seasoned with the drink with oregano. The resulting drink , it was deemed, was fit for the Roman emperor, hence the name.

Today, a thirsty Canadian can walk to the nearest corner store and expect to find a tomato-clam juice blend sitting on the shelf. However, in the late 1960s, tomato-clam did not exist, and Walter Chell, in his quest for a new drink had to get his "clam nectar" from the source. Around the same time, Motts® , a juice company in California, began producing a clam-tomato beverage, or Clamato juice. The company hired Chell to advise on the beverage's production and the juice became the choice of for tomato-clam mixers.

While Chell was the inventor of the caesar, Motts deserves credit for the popularization of the drink itself. This is an example the symbiosis between an independent inventor and corporate marketing prowess. Motts made the caesar a favourite cocktail and Chell's creation had a profound effect on the company’s profits in Canada. According to a telephone survey conducted by Ispos-Reid in early 2003, more than 310 million caesars were served in Canada in the previous year. This makes it the single most popular cocktail in the country.

Caesar update!

Thanks for all the tips, it worked out prety good. Turned out you actually do have to use more clam juice that I would have thought, and tons of salt. But the salt deal is probably just to approximate the lack of MSG.

Julie from Shady Grove said it was the best Caesar she ever had! Yay!

"MarcO's Caesar's: Wholesome, Nutritous and Full Of Vitamin Booze!"

MarcO your recipe looks good but it needs some of my infused chili-lime vodka, no horseradish, pickled banana pepper juice instead of pickle juice, one hearty dash of clamato rimmer into the glass you're serving, and a pickled white asparagus spear like they do at the Banff Springs.

Pretty much the best drink in the world that way.

Julie from Shady Grove said it was the best Caesar she ever had!

But Julie's incapable of saying anything nasty or negative about anybody or anything' date='including me. Even after all those times I've licked her cheek. Face it Marc, your Caesars suck.

[/quote']

That's funny, she told me you were an asshole.

huh!

IIRC' date=' she learned that trick from jaybone, and it's really part of the Bloody Caesar recipe, not the clamato [i']per se.

IIRIIRCIRC, I believe it was Gentlemonkey Jay.

Those are definitley the teachings of jah-bone.

Man, I love ceasars! I have been moving away from the pickle juice/horse radish/extra worcestire direction in favour of more vodka/tabasco/lemon juice and more ice. its a usually a good drink anyway you make it.

I'm with the american on this one. love the bloody mary but it's a no go for a caesar. I love seafood and it's not an issue of 'grodey'...it's a watered down tomato juice texture issue.

gotta try the pickle juice...or use a pickle spear...

if you can't find any of that hot and horny sauce, hit up the RCSS or some affiliate that sells grace sauces (jamaican food subsidiary of loblaws) and get the 'hot pepper sauce'...you might think it's like lousiana hot but it's not. it's great.

i think caesars are the reason i tried bourbon for the first time. i drink it on the rocks.