Jambands.ca

Why does this man have a job?

badams

Toronto Raptors general manager Rob Babcock doesn't have high expectations in terms of wins this season.

Because of the influx of young players on the roster, the second-year GM doesn't expect the club to improve on it's 33-49 record from last season.

''There will be growing pains, no doubt about it,'' Babcock told the paper. ``Whether we win or lose more games than last year, I think if you look at us on paper, we probably will not win as many games as last year.

''We more or less have the same team back with the exception of Donyell Marshall, who was an integral part of our team last year. We're replacing him with rookies.''

Toronto Raptors general manager Rob Babcock doesn't have high expectations in terms of wins this season.

Because of the influx of young players on the roster, the second-year GM doesn't expect the club to improve on it's 33-49 record from last season.

''There will be growing pains, no doubt about it,'' Babcock told the paper. ``Whether we win or lose more games than last year, I think if you look at us on paper, we probably will not win as many games as last year.

''We more or less have the same team back with the exception of Donyell Marshall, who was an integral part of our team last year. We're replacing him with rookies.''

He was just being honest. In my perfect sports world they'd all be sounding off like him, Roenick and Hull. But if people dont want to be told the truth, so be it.

Someone needs to send him on a Media Relations 101 course.

He would have learned not to sound off like an idiot. His first and foremost job is to ensure he can field a team that will sell tickets. By telling the ticket buyers that they wont be making the playoffs (that's the message), he is shooting the team right in the foot. Who wants to go when a team seemingly has no direction and wont be competitive?

For example, look at how JP Riccardi handled the same thing a feww years ago: "We have an exciting young team that is rebuilding and plan to challenge for the World Series in 3-5 years"

Just read these comments by Jalen Rose over at Sportsnet:

"I've never been part of a situation like that -- and I'm sure I've never heard anybody in professional sports make a comment so negative that early in the season," Rose said. "Even bad teams have optimism. You don't want to take away the optimism so early in the season. The Bad News Bears coach wouldn't even tell (his team) that."

Everyone knows the team is weak this year, and I respect the fact that he respects my intelligence enough to not come up with some lame cliche to try to win me over. Im already a fan.

I hear him on Swirskis show all the time and he doesnt come off as a public relations nightmare. He uses terms like, "Re-Building", "Exciting young talent", and what-have-you. Not to mention the article your refering to was written in the Sun under a bold Headline that said "We're Doomed: GM". If it said, "Bright Future for Raps: GM" people probably wouldnt even have read it.