Jambands.ca

Jon Stewart Reaction

Diggzz

Don't know if anyone watched The Daily Show last night, they had been on holiday's last week and it was their first show back. In his opening monologue he was talking about how the right was saying that the left is causing more problems than helping by taking Bush and the Federal gov't to task over their mismanagement of this disaster. He basically told them to SHUT UP, they screwed up and deserve everything they get. Gist of it anyways. Here are some clips from the show:

(From opening that I was talking about)

http://www.canofun.com/blog/videos/tdskatrinagwblewinsky.wmv

http://www.canofun.com/blog/videos/tdsbushtimeline.wmv

Finally the voice of reason is back from holidays!!

I also have a question in regards to another thread regarding Michael Moore and his delivery of his opinions. Do people have the same view on Jon Stewart? In my opinion he is similar to Michael Moore in many ways (both use entertainment for political education) so I'm curious to see if the peeps hating on Michael Moore in that thread feel the same way? If so why, if not why not?

Stewart has never said The Daily Show does serious news. He states repeatedly that his show is satire. Sure, satire bites harder than some more " serious " news commentaries. Does Moore admit to producing satiric films? No, yet his films are funny.

I don't have a hate-on for Moore, but thinking that he is above criticism is narrow-minded.

Stewart has never said The Daily Show does serious news. He states repeatedly that his show is satire. Sure, satire bites harder than some more " serious " news commentaries. Does Moore admit to producing satiric films? No, yet his films are funny.

satire/sarcasm.. fine line..

it could be all in the eye of the beholder or beer holder depending on the person..

bottom line is they both lean the same way and both use media in the same way..

moore will use more dramatics..

but that may be just due to the budget diffrences between cable and hollywood blockbuster..

I don't have a hate-on for Moore, but thinking that he is above criticism is narrow-minded.

its an open debate, not me being narrow minded..

critism fuels debate..

I don't think anybody believes that media personalities are above reproach, I was trying to point out that both Moore and Stewart use the same devices to get their points across and they are very good at it, yet Michael Moore seems to take the brunt of criticism from the right.

I'm not directing the narrow-minded comment to anyone. Thinking that a media personality is above criticism is just plain wrong.

i didnt think you were but i said it anyways..

and i agree totally with your point..

and i applaud jon stewart for pointing this out about that crossfire douche..

the reaction on his face was priceless when stewart told him off..

but when you look at the majority of the general public aswell as media..

whats the demographic of people that 'disagree' with moore and his message

vs

the people that 'disagree' with how he delivers his message..

my own 0.02$

I don't know if anyone caught Stewarts anaolgy about the media's coverage. He told a story about a local bar that he frequented where there was this huge, overweight alcoholic that just sat at the bar day after day getting drunk. One day they told him his car was being broken into in the parking lot. he jumped up and was out the door in seconds flat and beat the crap out of the 2 guys breaking into his car. This was Jon Stewart tongue-in-cheek praisng the media for finally getting up of their collective asses and covering the fact that the gov't screwed up large in a proper, informative and compassionate way. First time he's ever praised network media I bet.

Edited by Guest

I have no problem with entertainers who use their craft to state their political views. Many have done it. Lenny Bruce did it in the 50's. The Smothers Bros. did it in the 60's. If their bias turns you off, you can do the same to them.

Personally, I find Jon Stewart hilarious regardless of his political views.

As to the use of media, the line between entertainer and politician has never been finely drawn...in either direction.

Jon Stewart has tact and has a good handle on sarcasm.

Michael Moore is like that guy in class who liked to point out that he thought the test was easy when everyone thought it hard. Maybe he did, but there is an aspect of his argument that is condescending.

Personality goes a long way with everything and Moore shoots himself in the foot by talking too much and too often when he's already on the right path to making a point.

The biggest difference for me between Moore and Stewart is, as someone mentioned before, tact and for the most part, a sense of restraint which Moore has very little of at times. Last night episode was awesome start to finish (well maybe not the greatest guest but good) Stewart was blunt but not over the top and frankly summed up alot of people's frustration in about 15 minutes. He not want to be the news, but for my money Jon Stewart is the most trusted voice in Americian media.

i can't think of any respectable liberal voices.. honestly.. it's one catastrophe after the other... aside from moore, what about chomsky, gael murphy, SHEILA COPPS!! yikes! the public representation of the left is a disaster...

i feel like the left sucks in people who aren't really politically aware... like girls who think they're feminists without really knowing what feminism is... or single income families who think they're owed something by the government because their marriage failed... or union workers who vote liberal or ndp simply to continue receiving their obscene wage without having to do too much work... each group is plotted out in pre-election campaigns and becomes the primary focus of all these hard driving liberal nuts... none of these people actually have any idea of what they are voting for, or what policy stands for what.. they are voting for the ideal that people like michael moore paint for them...

liberalism needs to be pagliacized... rid of all the brass generalizations and given an honest look at-- dissected of it's falsities and armed with intellectualism. enough of the finger pointing over a war of ideologies.

my vote's for stewart. at least he doesn't have to edit.

Wait a minute, Birdy. Are you calling Chomsky a disaster? Uninformed? He's as hard on the left as he is on the right.

Where I think we all stand to lose is via this polarization of left and right. People fear being moderate and yet history has shown us that we NEED to swing back and forth from fiscally conservative policies and tradition to periods of change and a focus on social issues (please don't jump down my throat for generalizing, I'm in a hurry here) I struggle to find a system that will provide all of that all the time aka moderatism. Until then, maybe we need a left and a right to make sure all of the bases get covered.

i can't think of any respectable liberal voices.. honestly.. it's one catastrophe after the other... aside from moore, what about chomsky, gael murphy, SHEILA COPPS!! yikes! the public representation of the left is a disaster...

i feel like the left sucks in people who aren't really politically aware... like girls who think they're feminists without really knowing what feminism is... or single income families who think they're owed something by the government because their marriage failed... or union workers who vote liberal or ndp simply to continue receiving their obscene wage without having to do too much work... each group is plotted out in pre-election campaigns and becomes the primary focus of all these hard driving liberal nuts... none of these people actually have any idea of what they are voting for, or what policy stands for what.. they are voting for the ideal that people like michael moore paint for them...

liberalism needs to be pagliacized... rid of all the brass generalizations and given an honest look at-- dissected of it's falsities and armed with intellectualism. enough of the finger pointing over a war of ideologies.

my vote's for stewart. at least he doesn't have to edit.

You can't think of one single respectable liberal voice!?!? Wow that's stunning! Paul Krugman is one of my favourites, Robert Scheer, Gore Vidal, Farley Mowat, John King... etc; etc;

By the way what does "pagliacized" mean? Honestly curious about this one.