Jambands.ca

Gov't Mule - Deja Voodoo

darth_taiter

Thanks for the response Jaimoe. I can definitely write a review. But I am somewhat of a Mule rookie, and i'm lazy, and curious, so I thought I would throw the question out.

But before the crazies on the board come out and get me, all I have to say is don't worry, "I GET IT", I love the live.

Just looking for some legitimate album reviews.

Ahh... Deja Voodoo is the only Mule album I don't own. I found that I don't listen to their studio albums that much if at all, so I didn't feel the need to get it. That being said, I've loved the songs live. Lola is a great tune, although it seems to polarize some Mule fans. I've heard some say they hate the song. I like it just fine.

Old Mule, ala Woody, seems to me to be more adventurous, taking greater chances and simply exploring more. Keys changes calore, tempo shifts, longer solos...jazzier with edges. New Mule, ala Deja Voodoo, seems like Warren wants to expand his audience by playing shorter, more accessible songs. Not so jazzy or experimental, a little more radio friendly (not that they get played on any mainstream station that I'm aware of here in Can.). All that summed up to me in the Danforth Music Hall show of a few years back when they toured with Chris Robinsons solo band NEM. The whole thing sounded to me like shlock '70's rock, like they were pandering to the Q10Zepplin crowd. I really didn't like that show, but then the next one at Palais Royale was great. Anyway, the solidified line up now are fantastic, regardless of studio tunes/albums.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks dudes

Your responses are not too far off of my own thoughts

Haven't logged into the board for a couple of weeks but sure enough the answers were there

I would agree with Shainhouse, music that HAS to explode but under produced or unorganized.

Tell Warren to give Daniel Lanois a call, he could probably do something studio-wise