Jambands.ca

thanks backbacon & burt neilson

mark tonin

Rev here, on kooky's laptop.

I can definately upload to the archive, BB, but there's one thing I'm not sure about. Maybe Brad or Greg can help me out here. If I rip the audio CDs of the show to .wav and then encode to FLAC or SHN for upload to archive, have I disturbed the lossless nature of the audio, or does CD audio preserve losslessness?

p.s. neenerneet

andrev_nerd.sized.jpg

If the files are recorded on a MD then baconbacon could just extract them to his HDD and then encode to SHN or FLAC,then send em to you for uploading.I believe that would probally be the best option for preserving the losslessness.

[edit to add]

I usually record on my laptop & encode to FLAC,so I never have to actually extract files,but I'm pretty sure you can extract from the MD directly to FLAC,not sure about SHN though.

Edited by Guest

Ok, lots of crazy technical hoogabaloo going on here...

I have the show on CDR. I guess I should have encoded the WAVs before I erased them off my harddrive but I can't see ripping the wav and encoding to flac or shn causing any losslessness.

GoodRev, PM your addy and I'll send you the show.

Karin, yeah, come on up here for halloween weekend. Definitely a party going down! I can get a CanJam package together for you in time for that.

Ok, lots of crazy technical hoogabaloo going on here...

I have the show on CDR. I guess I should have encoded the WAVs before I erased them off my harddrive but I can't see ripping the wav and encoding to flac or shn causing any losslessness.

You're right: it won't. A program like EAC will do the trick, giving you one WAV file per track (that you extract). Rename the track files, encode them (to FLAC or SHN), and you're pretty much good to go (after creating the info text file and the MD5 checksum files).

Aloha,

Brad

Ok,now I'm confused.I recieved a PM questioning if I knew what I was doing pertaining to this topic,I thought I did.

If the files are recorded on a MD then baconbacon could just extract them to his HDD and then encode to SHN or FLAC,then send em to you for uploading.I believe that would probally be the best option for preserving the losslessness.

Is that not the same?