Jambands.ca

son of "ask hamilton a question"

timouse

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are the styles of women's shoes that are known as "pumps" and "mules" called that? My guess is that those words are mis-pronounciations of real (non-English?) words that actually have something to do with the shape/form of the shoes, but I can't be sure.

Aloha,

Brad

While your guess is certainly erudite, it is also incorrect. "Pumps" are so called becasue back in the 17th century, women wore shoes of that style whilst fetching water from the well.

Similarly, "mules" were worn while riding mules into town to go to market as far back as 1134 CE.

Hope this helps.

In adding to BradM's question, what is a "kitten heal"? Am I the only girl who is unaware of this pinnacle of the fashion industry? (Sorry, that's 2 questions).

"Kitten heal" is an action performed by a veterinarian. I'm sure there are other girls who are unaware of kitten healing, but they probably live in countries with no kittens, such as Ireland (St Patrick drove all the kittens out of Ireland in 442 CE).

How much is too much?

Possibly gluttonous in Guelph.

"Too much" was a theoretical concept developed by guilty Christians in the 5th century, and only recently proven to exist in the persona of George Bush while, ironically, being dismissed by the Christian right. Unless you're a guilty Christian (or George Bush), you don't have to worry.

I know there's a food product known as "bacon," and a different food product known as "backbacon" (which is also known as "Canadian bacon", or "peameal bacon"), but why can't I find any food products known as "frontbacon" or "leftbacon", "rightbacon," "upbacon," "downbacon," etc. It seems a little unfair that the non-back directions don't have their own bacons.

Aloha,

Brad