Jambands.ca

Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown Dead at 81

AD

I remeber seeing one of the BB King Blues Fests in Toronto on the revolving stage (pre-ampitheater, 94 maybe?) I recall off the top of my head BB,Little Feat,Dr.John & Pine Tops Perkins.Clarence may have definatley played then.

I went with Tim & a couple other buddies.

That's the one.

I have the ugliest t-shirt in history from that show (made uglier from about a thousand wears).

I checked the back, and no Gatemouth listed, but they didn't list every player's name. I saw a bunch of those shows, though, and I think he made at least one appearance, but I don't know.

I never got the chance to see Gatemouth play. He had a unique voice in the world of blues and he could play a mean fiddle... and guitar. Clarence was booked to headline Kingston's Limestone City Bluesfest last summer, but had to cancel due to his recent lung cancer diagnosis. I was going to attend that show.

A truly bad week for the dying music known as blues.

StoneMtn, does the shirt have a cat with sunglasses & a guitar on it? I had one of those (on white though) wasn't too bad but was cheap as hell,worn out by the fall.It also had some performers listed on the back,like yours,not all performers though.

8/24/1994 · Ontario Place Forum

Still trying to find a complete perfomer list.

Jaimoe,thats the one.Now that you mention those names I remember these guys.Remembering from the t-shirt we're talking about.Pretty sure the shirt reads:

BB King,Little Feat,Dr.John,Pine-Top Perkins,Junior Wells,Buddy Guy,Luthur "Guitar Johnson Jr.,Buddy Guy

I don't remember seeing Eric Johnson,but I wouldn't bet against it.I seem to remember that show being the first of BB Kings "blues summit" style show/festival.A;though,I coul;d be completely wrong about that too..

Man, Eric Johnson is insane. That guy does sh!t on guitar most guitar playing humans couldn't comprehend. I thought his show at Phoenix with his band Alien Love Child was awesome. His ques to the band to change were like the bat of an eyelash, and BAM, they would change. Unbelievable I thought. And not a huge shredder....